GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Keep trying until they say nothing more can be done, not going to hurt trying to bleed them dry..

Yeah spoke to them again today, said I can’t commit to those terms. We’ll see what happens. The salesman reckons the cars were flying off the forecourt during the first lockdown. (Can’t be true can it?)

Associate
Yeah spoke to them again today, said I can’t commit to those terms. We’ll see what happens. The salesman reckons the cars were flying off the forecourt during the first lockdown. (Can’t be true can it?)

I think it was true from what i can gather, the used car market was pretty busy during the lockdown and since there was less used cars coming in the dealers were in a fairly good position.
If i'm remembering it correctly anyway!

Soldato
I think it was true from what i can gather, the used car market was pretty busy during the lockdown and since there was less used cars coming in the dealers were in a fairly good position.
If i'm remembering it correctly anyway!

Ah ok, he said because they could operate as click and collect or delivery service they were shifting a lot of cars. Oh well if someone else buys it good luck to them.

Soldato
Used cars were selling quickly afaik, many places actually ran out of stock. The used car dealer along my local high street was buying pretty much anything they could get their hands on to keep business going. It's the first time I've seen the showroom empty :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Just put a deposit on an Alfa Giuletta, so just one more week of driving the GT.

Shame you have to get rid. But I can imagine it's not the most comfortable car if you have back problems.

Finally got mine booked in for the recall in just over a weeks time. I emailed the service manger beforehand enquiring about getting the clutch done, as well as a full service all at the same time. I also asked him how many recalls they'd done as I was worried about the amount of problems. He phoned me back and we had a chat...said he was aware of the issues, they'd done between 10 and 20 recalls at his branch, and so far none of the cars they'd done had suffered any further issues apart from a couple with minor oil leaks. So that's put my mind at ease a bit.

Soldato
Yeah I've pretty much enjoyed every journey in the car, so will be sad to see it go.

Good luck with the recall, would have thought they know exactly what they are doing by now.

Soldato
Picked the car up this afternoon. Recall done, plus a full service, new spark plugs and a new clutch.
No problems so far. Car feels and sounds largely the same, apart from the clutch feeling a bit more positive. Will be doing a couple of hundred miles over Christmas, so if there are any issues, hopefully I'll know sooner rather than later.

Soldato
Glad it went ok! Did they send you pictures of the engine dismantled?

Part exchanged mine for a Giulietta this week.

Nah. But they did take a video health check of the car after the work was complete. Only things they mentioned were tyres getting a bit low (3-4mm). Also one of the spring bolts on the centre section of the exhaust had snapped, but they had a spare and replaced it for no charge.

Associate
Finally got myself a battery charger to counter the constant drain the alarm gives. I think I'm right in thinking I shouldn't need to disconnect the battery during charging as long as I don't start the car?

Soldato
I've had mine hooked up to a ctek for the past 2 months, took a few days to get fully charged, rested then on to maintenance. Left the charger under the bonnet and an extension lead out at the top near the door, discreetly under the car to the garage power. Now it's slightly sunny outside and I have an hour a day of sunlight in my parking spot I've brought it back to try the solar charger again. Never disconnected the battery in any of this as the power a ctek provides isn't above what the alternator gives.

Soldato
Thought this might be of interest to some here - the GR86 unveiled and confirmed for the UK:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/gr86

At first I wasn't massively sold on the exterior looks...I actually prefer the look of the first generation. However, I've since seen a video (https://www.facebook.com/TOYOTAGAZOORacing/posts/2356510851159609), so it seems it might look a lot better in the flesh.

The formula hasn't changed much - still manual, rear drive, fairly light, and modestly powered. But the engine will still be a naturally aspirated Boxer, only this time bigger displacement at 2.4l. And while the power figures aren't hugely increased, it seems that peak torque nor arrives much lower in the rev range.
That should hopefully address the primary criticism of the original car, that of it feeling gutless in the mid-range. I have a feeling though, despite delivering exactly what most people said was needed to remedy the shortcomings of the original, it will still be decried for not having more power, but such is life.

From my own perspective, I'm actually very interested in this. I've owned my 2013 model for 7.5 years now, and while I still love it, it's getting a little long in the tooth, so replacement might be on the cards soon. And whilst I have seen other cars which interest me as a viable replacement, most of them are out of my price range, or have other drawbacks I'm not sure on. If the GR86 keeps everything I love about the current car, while addressing the only issues that I (and most, it seems) had with it, then I think it might end up being a worthy replacement for me (depending on price, of course).

Last edited:
Soldato
No BRZ, which isn't suprising. They only sold something like 400 of them :p

4423 in Europe, according to https://carsalesbase.com/
Compared to 21,066 GT86s.

I thought I heard somewhere was that Toyota was able to offset their emissions fleet average more easily than Subaru (who have less models overall), so despite being the same car, Toyota could sell it in Europe whilst Subaru couldn't (don't quote me on that).

Soldato
I like the sound of that upgraded power...it's what has been missing.

I love the front, but not sold on the rear, including teh boot. Feels like it's short, and teh boot lines has a lot going on. The boot opening seems smaller too.

It may be a bit too late for me though. I have been starting to look into a 4 series as an upgrade to mine in a year or two. Maybe the latter can be a filler until GR86 can be had for under £20k.

Soldato
Yea I don't think it looks as nice as the old one or the mk2 concepts.

The rear seems a bit slapped together BMW style with awkward lines. The front end looks too tall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom