Broadband opinions

Associate
Atm with uno broadband adsl that costs £35pm Quite expensive for what it is, want to move to a cheaper fibre alternative. I have seen plusnet do a 66mb on a 12 month contract for £25 pm. Just wanted opinions if it is worth it with all the negative press. Or are the others; talktalk, sky or bt etc better?

Also do plusnet block torrent sites?

Soldato
I have just moved from Plusnet to Virgin, I had no issues when I was on Plusnet 10Mb ADSL, torrent sites were fine for me.

Soldato
All of the big ISPs are fine and offer a very similar product. There are some genuine complaints about Vodafone’s backend network but the others are generally fine.

Most ISPs tend to get terrible reviewed when in reality it’s either an openreach issue or user error/issue like placing the router in a cupboard in one corner of the house and complaining the WiFi is terrible.

What do you think is wrong with plusnet? Talk talk have a diabolical reputation but in reality they are no worse or better than the other large providers.

The line speed is determined by the quality of the copper and there isn’t anything you can realistically do about that. People will suggest Zen and A&A as they have better support but in all my years I’ve never needed to use it so just go with whoever is cheaper.

Usually Talk Talk or plusnet and taking advantage of new customer offers and cash back deals on Quidco. Make sure you negotiate a new price or switch at the end of the contract or you’ll end up paying £10-£15 a month more than a new customer for the same product.

Soldato
theres also EE .. i came off plusnet had a few problems .. they dropped my line speed from 64mb to 54 .. and ping went up , was not happy as it was like that for yrs .
so went back with EE and boom 67mb ..nuff said

It’s unlikely that had anything to do with plusnet it’s self. Line speeds are determined by openreach equipment, when you moved provider it triggered a DLM reset and your line speed was retrained. It may well drop overtime again if the same line conditions present themselves.

Permabanned
It’s unlikely that had anything to do with plusnet it’s self. Line speeds are determined by openreach equipment, when you moved provider it triggered a DLM reset and your line speed was retrained. It may well drop overtime again if the same line conditions present themselves.
hmm it was plusnet they dropped it on a contract change .. and when i left to EE it magically came back up ? i did and still do reset my router which would cause the same dlm reset ?
and i called plusnet to ask for a reset when it happened and they said it's what i now have

edit: i was downloading a fair bit .. maybe that made them a bit peved

Associate
I have been looking into ISP alternatives myself of late and it seems A&A and Zen are the best alternatives to Uno, but they are as pricey or even more costly than the Uno option.

If you never really have any issues with sync rates, don't want to use your own equipment etc I would be tempted by BT, only if you can claw a good deal out of them. but most of them should be fine in this case. If you often have problems with your line I would stay well away from those with bad CS.

Before I signed my contract with BT years ago I was tempted by Plusnet because of their reviews, CS and price, but I had never really heard of them up until that point and I thought their pricing system was too good to be true at the time. Since then though the reviews have slipped a bit all citing the same things about payments and CS going downhill.

If I switch I might just go to A&A, hopefully they can sort my line out. People reckon it's crosstalk which they are most likely right but there are also a few niggling problems on the line because my sync rates are 17Mbps lower than the maximum data rate, noise margin is 10db and my HUB is prone to going down for a few minutes resetting every 1-14 days.

Associate
OP
Uno is much more then zen. Been looking into Zen and it seems like you get a decent router that you can keep after 12 months. I dont know what the plusnet one is like thou so still a bit undecided.

What do you think of virgin. I can get 200mb for like £27 pm. Thats pretty amazing value compared to the others.

Permabanned
What you are really paying for in companies like uno and zen is UK customer services. When you get a problem, you will really appreciate why the extra money is well worth it.

Soldato
hmm it was plusnet they dropped it on a contract change .. and when i left to EE it magically came back up ? i did and still do reset my router which would cause the same dlm reset ?
and i called plusnet to ask for a reset when it happened and they said it's what i now have

edit: i was downloading a fair bit .. maybe that made them a bit peved

Snap

Just moved to TalkTalk from Plusnet after 4 years. It was the issue with the Inflation + 3.9% per anum price increases for me.
However....
I have been throttled since it was installed. They had always refused to accept that stating "we do not throttle customers" "That's the best your line can do" (I had 74Mbs with BT) and you exceed your guaranteed speed" My connected speed was always 54-57 Mbs, Popped on the TalkTalk router after cutover. 65Mbs off the bat.
Also, I have been lulled into appalling CS from Plusnet.
I have an issue with the landline cutover, so I contacted TalkTalk via chat from my account page. I was chatting to CS and then the technical team within 10 mins. Was added to the vulnerable list, reassured and given an Openreach appointment for first thing Monday morning and a call forward within 40 mins.
I know from really painful experiences with Plusnet that I would have still been in a queue...
I think any advantage Plusnet had with fixed price contract's has now gone since their BT overlords have aligned the price structure to theirs to include the annual price increases.

Also bear in mind that Plusnet, EE and BT are all the same and they have price increases in there T&C's Currently 4.9% for 2021

Soldato
Uno is much more then zen. Been looking into Zen and it seems like you get a decent router that you can keep after 12 months. I dont know what the plusnet one is like thou so still a bit undecided.

What do you think of virgin. I can get 200mb for like £27 pm. Thats pretty amazing value compared to the others.

Try it for 14 days no quibble and then decide. You’re betting off knowing what it’s like rather than running the gauntlet and ending up with a definitely more expensive and possibly inferior service.

Back
Top Bottom