Audi warranty denial....

Associate
yep when they really start to get into checking the vehicle they interogate everything. modern bmws have data stored in up to 40 odd ecus. on the mercedes in question they apparently replaced the clocks and adapted them to the car and old mileage reappeared despite the blocker claiming to stop all.

mercedes will in extreme cases send units back to the factory to have them checked for data, engine .gearbox, abs even airbag ecus . they will all log faults and mileages ets.

read a article some years back when ford were still fitting ecu ivs to mondeos etc about how in the uk only a quarter of the data is used in a ecu , in america they use the spare capacity to log eveything.

im sure if someone looks at the ops car they could in depth tell what fault occured and when down to time and date.

i used to do work mobile putting little faults right for a large repair centre years ago, when it was all the rage to have your car picked up after a accident and taken many miles away to an approved repair centre. cars would get delivered back and little things bulbs out faulty trim fit etc would warrant me going out instead of bringing the vehicle back for repair again.

had to go to a mk5 golf lady explained airbag had gone off just driving down the road and caused her to swerve into a parked car, was adamant. v/w refuted it and said not possible. the insurance had it checked out and found it had had 2 previous spontaneous airbag detonations with time and dates and the dealer had never said anything so all is possible if you look hard enough.

problem nowadays is time is money and folk dont want to pay . so most mechanics will just replace items and press buttons and move on to the next car.

sorry a bit of a rant.

Soldato
How is the ghost immobiliser better than the manufacturer (Audi) immobiliser? I get it if it's for 20 years old Subaru WRX etc but brand new Audi.....

Soldato
How is the ghost immobiliser better than the manufacturer (Audi) immobiliser? I get it if it's for 20 years old Subaru WRX etc but brand new Audi.....
Rtft. It prevents keyless signal boosting theft by requiring a password/code made up of any buttons on the dash you chose.

Soldato
You could also just disable keyless/convenience entry. Recent cars will have that option.
This also prevents anyone from driving off, even if they have the key.

I'm not debating the finer merits of the device, just stating it does have use beyond the obvious. I asked/made the same points about 140 posts ago :p

Soldato
would be interesting to know if insurance rates have reduced on newer cars with the turn-off facility;
presumably the losses were never at the level where insurance companies were ready to tell car companies to fix this, or their cars were uninsurable,
but there must have been some push through on premiums;

The manufacturers could also have provided a customer payed for (warranty compliant) turn-off upgrade and taken the cash that has gone into the 3rd party immobiliser market; perhaps the market provides a useful reasearch resource for the manufacturers , a bit like network penetration companies, ethical hackers. (tesla has a bounty system I thought)

Associate
So many friends and colleagues have had ghosts fitted to brand new cars with most of the them going to same car security place and although they havent needed warranty work they all been adamant that should any work be required all will be fine.
To all the people wondering why the OP go it fitted in first place, he wants to protect his stuff simple lol. 9 out of 10 times when they cant get a signal they'll just walk off. Its not like the Catalytic converter theifs doing it in broad daylight

Associate
to be honest i think its probably down to the way it was phrased to the warranty company, probably on another day or another dealer they may have not mentioned it and the warranty would have gone ahead and fault blamed on a component. could be someone at the warranty firm had a bad day and wanted to make a issue , you may never know , very very annoying to the op but lets hope theres still some miles in the claim yet.(no pun intended).
as suggested if all else fails maybe if press get wind of it and with enough ghost owners/trackers/security system customers , maybe the warranty company may bend, they cant be just servicing audi warranty, most likely they underwrite others as well....

Soldato
So many friends and colleagues have had ghosts fitted to brand new cars with most of the them going to same car security place and although they havent needed warranty work they all been adamant that should any work be required all will be fine.
To all the people wondering why the OP go it fitted in first place, he wants to protect his stuff simple lol. 9 out of 10 times when they cant get a signal they'll just walk off. Its not like the Catalytic converter theifs doing it in broad daylight

VWFS own the car. The silence was deafening when OP was asked if he got permission to modify a car owned by someone else.

Soldato
Don't modern cars "turn off" the key if it's not moved in X amount of minutes, fairly sure modern fords do it so audis should.

Reminds me of the time me and the mrs were driving to work. I dropped her off, and carried on to my work which was about 10 miles away. Pulled up in the car park, jumped out and put my hand in my coat pocket for the key......where's the key! Turns out I'd left my key at home, and was using the key in my Mrs coat pocket.

Had to leave the car unlocked all day, and she had to get a taxi to meet me lol

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Reminds me of the time me and the mrs were driving to work. I dropped her off, and carried on to my work which was about 10 miles away. Pulled up in the car park, jumped out and put my hand in my coat pocket for the key......where's the key! Turns out I'd left my key at home, and was using the key in my Mrs coat pocket.

Lol.

Soldato
the new/old ford mach-e et. al system with the numeric pad on the door/pillar, plus tablet password, will solve these issues ? what are the other brands doing.
definitely the going to the beach scenario where you put your keys in the toe of your shoes, and hope no one monitored which car you left.

Soldato
Don't modern cars "turn off" the key if it's not moved in X amount of minutes, fairly sure modern fords do it so audis should.

I can't actually find anything definitive on this. I have a new Audi arriving in a few months which will have Advanced Key and intend to actually test it to be sure, so I know whether I need to keep the key in a metal box! :(

Back
Top Bottom