Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Permabanned
Really REALLY wanted to enjoy this but the mechanics were so poorly explained and I absolutely could not get to grips with playing a 4X using RtWP
Ended up going back to Endless Space 2 for scifi strategy play

Things have moved on a bit since MOO2 you know ;)

What didn't you get about the mechanics? I'm not helping with this, but this is by far the easiest PDX game to get into.

Associate
Things have moved on a bit since MOO2 you know ;)

What didn't you get about the mechanics? I'm not helping with this, but this is by far the easiest PDX game to get into.
I think it was mostly just how much stuff it was throwing at me at once to the point I felt like while I tried to get to grips with one aspect of the game I was therefore falling behind on another. That compounded by the fact it's not turn based meaning everything just kept flowing by me

Soldato
Anyone play this much?

Just got into it after being a CK/EU fan but I must admit I'm struggling with it. The initial build and territory race are fun enough but the I find everyone is just in mass mutual defence treaties and I spend the whole time staring over borders bored out my skull.

An I missing something?

Soldato
I've got all the DLC, I just find the game far too defensive and unlike the EU/CK games there are just huge empires and no little folk to attack so I've just found everyone gets borders, loads up on defensive pacts and then the game just goes tedious. Five saves it's happened now and I can never force a war against 3 or 4 empires solo.

Associate
I've got all the DLC, I just find the game far too defensive and unlike the EU/CK games there are just huge empires and no little folk to attack so I've just found everyone gets borders, loads up on defensive pacts and then the game just goes tedious. Five saves it's happened now and I can never force a war against 3 or 4 empires solo.

Make loads of empires and randomize them the default gen one can be boring and make ones that will allie up, I normally have two fanatic purifiers and one of each type of empires in my games your always get some defence pacts but there normally not great at helping each other out

Soldato
Make loads of empires and randomize them the default gen one can be boring and make ones that will allie up, I normally have two fanatic purifiers and one of each type of empires in my games your always get some defence pacts but there normally not great at helping each other out

Will give they a try.

Thanks

Associate
Anyone play this much?

Just got into it after being a CK/EU fan but I must admit I'm struggling with it. The initial build and territory race are fun enough but the I find everyone is just in mass mutual defence treaties and I spend the whole time staring over borders bored out my skull.

An I missing something?

Here's a good tutorial on how to play the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_HqrgaxLYA

Soldato
I'm getting into this a bit more, feels a lot easier than other games but maybe I've lucked out on my first real playthrough :p

I've just got to the stage where I can upgrade, to re-open, wormholes for travel. I've opened one and tried to send a science ship through but it just sits on top of it unmoving indefinitely. Is there some sort of "trick" or something I need to know of for wormhole travel?

Associate
I'm getting into this a bit more, feels a lot easier than other games but maybe I've lucked out on my first real playthrough :p

I've just got to the stage where I can upgrade, to re-open, wormholes for travel. I've opened one and tried to send a science ship through but it just sits on top of it unmoving indefinitely. Is there some sort of "trick" or something I need to know of for wormhole travel?

When you learn the tech for the wormhole, then click on the tag for it and you will get up where you are asked if you want to scout it or not and then once this has been done you'll be able to send your scout through.

Associate
After refunding this game and all the DLC months ago I've decided to grab most of it again through this sale. Base game today, higher tiers on friday when I get paid. Much more reasonable price so I don't feel bad if I can't get into it

Soldato
The only option I get when clicking on wormhole is "enter orbit" and "travel to XXX" xxx being the system name I cannot remember at the moment, no option to survey it.

Self quote.

After some googling round it could be that the people on the other end of the wormhole have closed borders to me so I cannot get through.

Associate
The only option I get when clicking on wormhole is "enter orbit" and "travel to XXX" xxx being the system name I cannot remember at the moment, no option to survey it.

"You need a science ship with a scientist in it to explore the wormhole. If you click your science ship then right click the wormhole (just like you would to research an anamoly), explore wormhole should be an option."

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not sure what to make of the pop rework. It's a bit daft.

Pop growth seems to be something like 100 + your total empire pops / 2. I think I have 1800-1900 pops, so the threshold is something like 1080 growth for one new pop.

My experience is not too shabby as my whole race is geared towards pop growth. So its base growth is 3 + another bonus 3 (basically enough people on the planet breeding vs capacity) + my 100% bonus nets 12 per month.

The problem is colonizing new planets at this stage takes decades for your first pop as the rework is faction wide and not planet based. Even if it's perfect conditions, it's still takes many, many months. So to counter this you have to manually resettle pops from your highly populated worlds (that aren't reproducing due to reaching near max capacity) to reach that sweet spot on newly populated worlds and get the 3+ bonus. This brings the once highly populated world back into balance and regains the 3+ bonus as well. You also have to build all the typical planet based bio buildings to make this worthwhile. It's all just a bit of a chore now, presumably to counter the late game pop lag and maybe stop people playing tall.

I was also able to gobble up tonnes of humans on the slave market before my space cousins were vanquished. I can see being able to completely circumventing the point of it all if you are a machine race. Assuming it still works like this, you can just buy all species up just turn them into robots.

It also looks to be a serious nerf to exterminators and fanatic xenophobes.

Soldato

Stellaris is getting a Coop mode​

addition : if thr Host has the DLCs then you can play with the DLCs before you buy it seems.
Up to five players will be able to control the same empire and work together to play the game as a team

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom