Mattresses - I need knowledge

Sgarrista
Commissario
My sleep recently has gone from bad to worse (ive never been a good sleeper except for when it rains and everything cools down).

Can anyone suggest a mattress that is cooling, and most importantly stays cool! I tried one from a local company on a trial basis that had "cooling gel".... which while it was nice and cool to the touch and got off to sleep quickly, after a couple of hours I woke up and the thing was like sitting in a hot bath!

Usually a front sleeper also and medium to medium-hard on the firmness side of things.

Someone on the bookface recently got an owl and lark mattress and is raving about how amazing it is, may give it a go on the 101 day trial...

Associate
My sleep recently has gone from bad to worse (ive never been a good sleeper except for when it rains and everything cools down).

Can anyone suggest a mattress that is cooling, and most importantly stays cool! I tried one from a local company on a trial basis that had "cooling gel".... which while it was nice and cool to the touch and got off to sleep quickly, after a couple of hours I woke up and the thing was like sitting in a hot bath!

Usually a front sleeper also and medium to medium-hard on the firmness side of things.

Someone on the bookface recently got an owl and lark mattress and is raving about how amazing it is, may give it a go on the 101 day trial...
Never heard of them before now, that’s a pricy mattress would be good to hear how you get on with it if indeed you decide to buy one.

Last edited:
Soldato
So is general consensus on here that JR is the way to go?

I'd usually go look at reviews on YouTube but there isn't anything on there that isn't from JR themselves.. and I'd Google reviews but I can't seem to find any unbiased reviews there either.

Wouldn't be looking at their top end more bottom to mid range.

Caporegime
So is general consensus on here that JR is the way to go?

I'd usually go look at reviews on YouTube but there isn't anything on there that isn't from JR themselves.. and I'd Google reviews but I can't seem to find any unbiased reviews there either.

Wouldn't be looking at their top end more bottom to mid range.

If I was buying a mattress if only every consider pocket sprung nothing else.

The firmer the better so more springs for me.

Then in terms of who I would choose from.

IKEA or sleepeezee if on a budget.

John Ryan if not.

I have a John Ryan and it's fantastic.also have a sleepeezee 2000 pocket spring and it's still brilliant after 10 years of use. Only put it in the spare bedroom because upgrade to king size and went John Ryan.

Alternatively IKEA is mass produced and quality tested to a very high level and I'd be willing to bet their margins are lower than places like dreams or tempur, etc due to economies of scale. So you get more for your money. Again I'd only ever be happy with buying their most expensive pocket sprung options and that's what I did for the baby. His mattress was like £130-£160 bare in mind he's only 3 months old and the mattress is much smaller than a single.

Folk on here are spending that on a bag in box mattresses for themselves. Then wondering why it's crap.

Associate
My Artisan 1500 has just been confirmed as arriving tomorrow. Just over 4 week wait in total.
Can`t wait. Large amount of money for a mattress, but if it helps me sleep better, it will be worth every penny.

Associate
Well, its arrived. Its a thing of beauty, but its heavy !!
The delivery guys deserve a medal, 2 flights of stairs and some tight corners were made to look easy.

Initial thoughts when I first laid on it are, "my god its firm", what have I done.
After 10 minutes of lying on it, my thoughts changed to, "this is actually great, how **** was my other mattress".

The mattress its replacing is a double sided, pocket sprung Silentnight. Bought in the Argos sale just under 12 months ago. It was described as medium/firm.
It was OK to begin with, but in hindsight, we should have returned it as it never felt quite right. Too spongy and edge support is non-existent. Then along came covid and other personal stuff, and we ran out of time.
I am donating it to a family member so all is well.

Time will tell whether its money well spent, but initial impressions are good.

Soldato
Haha yeah, mattress delivery guys must be some form of masochists. I had my Sleepeze divan set delivered - they got the mattress up the awkward stairs with lots of heaving. They then couldn't get the divan base up due to the tight corner... unfortunately this meant failing the entire delivery and having to get the mattress back out of my bedroom and down the awkward stairs. The chap was fuming lol. I was more fuming as I had to join the wait list again for the exact mattress that had already been in my bedroom once already :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Well, its arrived. Its a thing of beauty, but its heavy !!
The delivery guys deserve a medal, 2 flights of stairs and some tight corners were made to look easy.

Initial thoughts when I first laid on it are, "my god its firm", what have I done.
After 10 minutes of lying on it, my thoughts changed to, "this is actually great, how **** was my other mattress".

The mattress its replacing is a double sided, pocket sprung Silentnight. Bought in the Argos sale just under 12 months ago. It was described as medium/firm.
It was OK to begin with, but in hindsight, we should have returned it as it never felt quite right. Too spongy and edge support is non-existent. Then along came covid and other personal stuff, and we ran out of time.
I am donating it to a family member so all is well.

Time will tell whether its money well spent, but initial impressions are good.

Argos. It's the place you go to buy something when in a pinch like a step ladder. Not a long term purchase crucial for your spine.

Argos is literally chav heaven. To them it's like Harrods.

Yeah it has some decent deals here and there but it's the last place I'd be looking for a mattress.

Soldato
Such a minefield mattresses.

Were looking to upgrade to a superking and relegate our king to the spare room.

Is it even possible to just buy a mattress without trying it? Currently got a spring/memory foam mattress and I'm a hot sleeper so im sweating bad on it. Even with a cooling topper on. Though it is incredibly comfy.

Is pocket sprung definitely the way to go? Originally started out wanting to spend a few hundred quid, but quickly realising the budget probably needs to be 1k+ to be anything decent?

I finally settled on a mattress, I think. I got the Latex Opulence from latexsense,

I like the look and sound of this but I've never heard of latex mattresses? How are you getting on with it?

Latex any better for staying cool?

Caporegime
Such a minefield mattresses.

Were looking to upgrade to a superking and relegate our king to the spare room.

Is it even possible to just buy a mattress without trying it? Currently got a spring/memory foam mattress and I'm a hot sleeper so im sweating bad on it. Even with a cooling topper on. Though it is incredibly comfy.

Is pocket sprung definitely the way to go? Originally started out wanting to spend a few hundred quid, but quickly realising the budget probably needs to be 1k+ to be anything decent?

I like the look and sound of this but I've never heard of latex mattresses? How are you getting on with it?

Latex any better for staying cool?

A few hundred quid on a super king?

A few hundred may get you a decent single mattress at a push.

Pocket sprung is the best and if your in a tight budget then go IKEA or sleepeezee. Otherwise John Ryan.

Associate
Few hundred on a superking you may as well sleep on the floor lol. Even a bedframe will cost you more than that wont it? Why not keep the king frame and put the money into a bettee matteress and also save on new bed sheets and duvet

Soldato
I meant more like 400 ish but as I said soon realised we need to up the budget. Frame budget seperate unless there are such things as decent package deals.

Don't mind looking around the £1000 mark maybe more if it really is amazing. Even better if can get some sort of 0%

Most of the superking on that Jr site seem unavailable to order.

But like I said is it even a good idea to order something like this without being able to see and feel in person first? Don't like the thought of spending all the money and hating it.

Last edited:
Soldato
After having back surgery in January, my mattress seemingly instantly collapsed in the middle last weekend, a 4" wide groove about 3" deep right down the middle.

Purchased one of the below which was delivered in 36 hours and it's absolute heaven!

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Rest-Assured-British-Wool-2000-Pocket-Firmer-Mattress-P1813

Really didn't want a "mattress in a box" as I can't stand memory foam and reading actual reviews a lot of people saying how low quality they are and how fast they give up.

Read a lot of positive reviews about the above and glad I went for it! :)

Associate
I meant more like 400 ish but as I said soon realised we need to up the budget. Frame budget seperate unless there are such things as decent package deals.

Don't mind looking around the £1000 mark maybe more if it really is amazing. Even better if can get some sort of 0%

Most of the superking on that Jr site seem unavailable to order.

But like I said is it even a good idea to order something like this without being able to see and feel in person first? Don't like the thought of spending all the money and hating it.

JL do have a returns policy. I think unless you are going artisan natural or similar with the 10 year guarantee then maybe not worth a JL since anything below is only 3 year guarantee and I've read reviews of people saying they were disappointed after a few years yet the artisan natural has glowing reviews all round.

I'm going for the artisan natural once my jew house purchase gets a bit further a head

Back
Top Bottom