• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to limit hash rate of RTX3060 GPU's

Soldato
Well this is a different kind of mockery for Nvidia in that case.

If the security blocking cards for mining eth is intact and the miners simply mine something else then in practice they have still bypassed the restrictions claimed to protect gamers supply from miners.

Soldato

If the security blocking cards for mining eth is intact and the miners simply mine something else then in practice they have still bypassed the restrictions claimed to protect gamers supply from miners.

What do you mean? We knew since launch that only Ethereum was nerfed.

Soldato

Kinda-sorta. The alt-coins that work represent more risk for the miners because they're much more likely to crash and never recover than the major ones.

Soldato
It won't stay limited, its just a PR exercise so nvidea can appear to be doing something.

Weather a miner or game buys the card to them doesn't matter, as at the end of the day the card sold

Soldato
Ouch. How did that release get passed???

Its not a release, it was bundled in the insider build of windows, then someone ripped it out and put it in a package that others could install on their system.

I expect because its effectively a new beta branch of the drivers, they had simply not got to the point of applying the 3060 changes in the driver, as an example its been confirmed it does not have the 461.81 hotfixes included as well.

Soldato
So the talk of there being a special handshake between BIOS and driver...did not exist? Or it it simply a case of only certain drivers were coded to do this handshake.
Interesting.
I wonder if there will still be motivation now for a "hack" where the latest drivers could still be used whilst still mining at the higher rate. Obviously over time, gamers miss out on latest optimizations and gaming benefits running older drivers. Those running 3060s just for mining will obviously just run this driver for some time, until it becomes unproftable and the cards are resold or repurposed.

Associate
... Obviously over time, gamers miss out on latest optimizations and gaming benefits running older drivers. Those running 3060s just for mining will obviously just run this driver for some time, until it becomes unproftable and the cards are resold or repurposed.
It reminds me of DRMs in games, a few weeks after release they get beaten and then all they do is hurt the people who buy games legitimately. In this case the anti mining stuff just hurts gamers who want to use their systems to mine in the off time. :(

Soldato
I was hoping Nvidia were serious. Imagine the resale value of 3060Ti/3070/3080/3090 cards if they all went EOL and their replacements had a solid mining nerf :p

Soldato
I was hoping Nvidia were serious. Imagine the resale value of 3060Ti/3070/3080/3090 cards if they all went EOL and their replacements had a solid mining nerf :p

Realistically, profitability of mining will die off towards late summer I would think, so I don't think it matters too much what they do. 30XX series are already at peak. Prices on ebay have if anything come down from what I have seen because there are so many scalpers competing with each other, they have had to lower prices to slightly less obscene levels. Then again...there are still 3090s listed for 2.5k lol

Soldato
Realistically, profitability of mining will die off towards late summer I would think, so I don't think it matters too much what they do. 30XX series are already at peak. Prices on ebay have if anything come down from what I have seen because there are so many scalpers competing with each other, they have had to lower prices to slightly less obscene levels. Then again...there are still 3090s listed for 2.5k lol

Time will tell. There's every chance prices will stay high (or rise further).

Soldato
As long as the fab manufacturing capacity is too low prices will stay high. Mining is contributing to demand, but I cant see it going during 2021.
Also the shortage on consoles indicates gaming demand alone is enough to outdo supply.

Associate
It won't stay limited, its just a PR exercise so nvidea can appear to be doing something.

Weather a miner or game buys the card to them doesn't matter, as at the end of the day the card sold

To a point yes however Nvidia is worried that they will end up with the same situation they had with the 2 series cards. At some point this boom will crash and all these 3 series cards will start flooding the market just as Nvidia release the 4 series. People then jump on the second hand cards and less people will end up buying the 4 series.

Associate
Whoops :) I was wondering which bit would be hacked first, turns out Nvidia hacked themselves! saving a lot of time :) ok so maybe they can not release an unlocked driver for the 3080 Ti (if that's a real card). Take two.

Back
Top Bottom