• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Ah this is all very disappointing to read I was really looking forward to going wireless and replacing my Hyper X Cloud 2 which I plug into the controller

I'm not in a rush so will keep an eye out and hopefully firmware updates make them better but I cant see that happening if its the hardware that's the problem.

Man of Honour
It’s funny to see the huge difference in opinions between “influencers” and normal people with the headset.

The influencers all universally praise the headset because they want to continue getting advanced review samples of hardware, whereas I haven’t seen a single report of a normal consumer being happy with the sound profile of these headphones.

Soldato
It’s funny to see the huge difference in opinions between “influencers” and normal people with the headset.

The influencers all universally praise the headset because they want to continue getting advanced review samples of hardware, whereas I haven’t seen a single report of a normal consumer being happy with the sound profile of these headphones.

Doesn't explain the positive reviews from other sources.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/xbox-wireless-headset-review

Buy it if…

You’re ready to go wireless

The Xbox Wireless Headset means you can finally cut the cord and game without wires getting in the way. We found the wireless connection to be rock-solid during our testing, with impressive range and excellent audio quality.

You love bass

These headphones deliver rich, powerful bass which is free from distortion. If you prefer your music and games to make your eardrums wobble, the Xbox Wireless Headset won’t let you down. You can even add more low-end using the bass boost feature, but the default sound setting should honestly be enough.

You want something that works seamlessly with Xbox consoles

Microsoft’s Xbox Wireless Headset works as seamlessly as you’d hope with the family of Xbox consoles, including the Xbox Series X and S. It connects wirelessly using Microsoft’s Xbox wireless communication protocol, so there’s no dongle necessary. You can also turn the console on and off when using the headset, and enjoy advanced customization controls using the Xbox Accessories app.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a35821354/xbox-wireless-headset-review/

A new standard has been set. Five stars.

Xbox Wireless Headset Verdict
We loved using the new headphones to enhance our games, and for the current price-point, you can't really grumble.

Yes, you can get similar features like 3D Spatial Audio and customisable profiles in other headphones, but for less than £100, these earcans are a steal.

We played for fairly long stretches of time, often up to four hours in one go, and didn't get tired of wearing them. We often forgot we were even wearing them because they are so light and comfortable.

If you've invested in a new Xbox console and you're looking for a top-end upgrade to improve your gaming experience, look no further than Microsoft's wireless headset.

Even PC Gamers review gave it 87 out of 100 which is very good.

These aren't influencers so I can only assume that these people don't know what they're talking about, or they've been paid off for the reviews. I am quite confused by how things can sound so bad to you all on here, but good to others that are reviewing them. It literally makes no sense unless the latest firmware update has broken things since they've written their reviews.

Soldato
Thanks for posting some constructive feedback and investigating the settings yourself. Most people would have just gone "Nope, crap" and then boxed them up for return when comparing them to expensive higher-quality headphones.

Sadly, it doesn't appear that mine will be coming today. Amazon say it's going to be delivered today but it's still yet to be dispatched, so I'll just be waiting I guess!

No worries. To be 100% transparent, the others aren't completely off the mark.

If this was my only pair of headphones to use with the Xbox, then my opinion would be different. I'm happy with them for their intended use and I have the luxury of having a great pair of other headphones that I can use when I really want to experience a deeper level of sound like @Kreeeee mentioned for a game like Hellblade.

Associate
Anyone else a bit disappointed by this?

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2021/...rned_on_manually_for_fallout_on_xbox_series_x

How can the series x not manage 60fps at 4k on fallout 4? I would have thought it is more than powerful enough.

I read this explanation on Reddit:

So with Fallout 4 and 76 seemingly using the base Xbox One settings, it seems like they have no fine control over resolution without actually touching the game code and instead have to make the choice to either leave X enhancements on and risk drops, or drop it all the way to base Xbox One settings, no middle ground. That's a bit of a bummer honestly, because if they could choose the resolution, it'd probably be able to hold 60 at 1440 or even 1800p instead of cutting it all the way down to 1080p

Soldato
The Outer Worlds is great with the 60fps update.. Not sure I can do it for a third time but if you have not played yet it’s a great game.

I've not played it yet, next on my list but I have so many games I want to play. I don't know how the 60FPS thing works with 1440P monitor users like myself though. I assume it will run at 120FPS but I wish they were clearer on this.

Soldato
No if you running at 1440p it will still be at 60fps. That's the boost.

Ok fair enough, even coming from a PC this seems a bit confusing. Take Gears 5, thats not an FPS Boost game but runs at 1440P and 120FPS. Is that because its a Series X optimised game?

So in other words for any 1440P monitor users inc myself you can expect FPS Boost games to run at 60FPS and Optimised for Series X games to run at 120FPS?

Soldato
No that's not how it works. X1 games can be optimised for X/S and still be 30fps if in most cases I'd say 4k60 would be the aim. It is game specific as to how the game is optimised and what gets optimised. Games that support 120fps are few and there is usually a drop in detail or fidelity in order to run at such a high fps.

With certain older back compatible games for OG xbox and X360 they can run in Boost mode if its enabled. That can Boost the resolution and/or the frame rate. Frame rates are fixed and don't change dependant on the res you are outputting.

Soldato
No that's not how it works. X1 games can be optimised for X/S and still be 30fps if in most cases I'd say 4k60 would be the aim. It is game specific as to how the game is optimised and what gets optimised. Games that support 120fps are few and there is usually a drop in detail or fidelity in order to run at such a high fps.

With certain older back compatible games for OG xbox and X360 they can run in Boost mode if its enabled. That can Boost the resolution and/or the frame rate. Frame rates are fixed and don't change dependant on the res you are outputting.

Hmm I think I got it all wrong when I bought the Series X thinking I would get higher frame rates at 1440P but that doesn't sound like its the case and I should have saved myself some money and got a Series S. Kind of feels like the Series X is limited by a 1440P screen to what a Series S can do for half the price.

I might consider selling it while its still worth the money I paid and getting a Series S because I'm limited to a 1440P monitor

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ok fair enough, even coming from a PC this seems a bit confusing. Take Gears 5, thats not an FPS Boost game but runs at 1440P and 120FPS. Is that because its a Series X optimised game?

So in other words for any 1440P monitor users inc myself you can expect FPS Boost games to run at 60FPS and Optimised for Series X games to run at 120FPS?

Gears 5 is only 120fps in multiplayer mode, it's 60fps in single player. There aren't many games that support 120fps yet really.

It doesn't really matter what you set in the video settings on the xbox settings app. I.e. in your case I assume you've set it to 1440p 120Hz?

That doesn't mean the games are outputting at 1440p/120Hz. In most games you'll sometimes have a "quality" mode and a "performance" mode. Generally its 4k/30fps for quality and either 4k or dynamic 4k/60fps.

There is no 1440p mode in any of the games. What will be happening is if you set the 4k/60fps mode in the game options, it'll just downscale a 4k res to 1440p/60Hz. It would do the same if you were running the series X on a 1080p screen. It just downsamples to your screen res settings, it doesn't lower the game resolution to match what you've set in the normal video settings on the dashboard app. It's basically a bit like running super resolution on the PC i.e. you'll get a bit a free anti aliasing.

Back
Top Bottom