• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Xbox series X is ideal for 1440p and 120hz. The Series S is probably only 1080p 120hz. Games will dynamically scale and the output can be set to 1440p

Also the series S hard drive will soon give you problems with how small it is.

Caporegime
It’s just brute forcing an unoptimized engine designed for a different platform. A lot of previous generation games don’t run at a fixed 4k60.

Still seems a bit pointless though. If, as another reply mentioned, it only runs at base xbox one visuals but at 60fps that makes very little sense.

If the one x could do 4k at about ~30fps, the series x really should be able to do at least 1440p at 60fps.

Soldato
Gears 5 is only 120fps in multiplayer mode, it's 60fps in single player. There aren't many games that support 120fps yet really.

It doesn't really matter what you set in the video settings on the xbox settings app. I.e. in your case I assume you've set it to 1440p 120Hz?

That doesn't mean the games are outputting at 1440p/120Hz. In most games you'll sometimes have a "quality" mode and a "performance" mode. Generally its 4k/30fps for quality and either 4k or dynamic 4k/60fps.

There is no 1440p mode in any of the games. What will be happening is if you set the 4k/60fps mode in the game options, it'll just downscale a 4k res to 1440p/60Hz. It would do the same if you were running the series X on a 1080p screen. It just downsamples to your screen res settings, it doesn't lower the game resolution to match what you've set in the normal video settings on the dashboard app. It's basically a bit like running super resolution on the PC i.e. you'll get a bit a free anti aliasing.

Yes I've set 1440P - 120HZ and VRR and disabled 4K

I'm even more confused now because specifically in Gears 5 in Single Player if I enable my monitors on screen FPS it shows the FPS at and around 120

Soldato
Ok fair enough, even coming from a PC this seems a bit confusing. Take Gears 5, thats not an FPS Boost game but runs at 1440P and 120FPS. Is that because its a Series X optimised game?

So in other words for any 1440P monitor users inc myself you can expect FPS Boost games to run at 60FPS and Optimised for Series X games to run at 120FPS?

The Coalition released new Series X and Series S builds of Gears 5 which were optimised to run on the new hardware.

With Fallout 4, you have the Xbox One X or Xbox One build of the game running on Series X or Series S (respectively). There is no custom build of the game for next-gen consoles. And the game is only able to make very limited use of the hardware improvements found on the Series consoles. "FPS Boost" is just a little hack to get around the game's 30fps limit on Xbox One.

Soldato
If the one x could do 4k at about ~30fps, the series x really should be able to do at least 1440p at 60fps.

That would depend on what the limiting factor is. The Series X isn't 2x the power of the One X in all areas. It's a greater than 2x increase in some areas of the architecture, and less than 2x in others.

Doubtless Fallout 4 would run at 4K and 60fps without any problems if they'd rebuild the game for Series X. But as yet they haven't.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I'm even more confused now because specifically in Gears 5 in Single Player if I enable my monitors on screen FPS it shows the FPS at and around 120

Maybe they have released a newer patch, but last I heard Gears 5 was only 120Fps in multiplayer.

The point I was getting at though was that for example. Lets just say Game "A" has 2 modes in its options;

Performance mode = 1600p @ 60fps

and

Quality mode = 4k @ 30 fps

Lets say you have your series X connected to a 1440p screen @ 120Hz, and thats what is set in the video options on the settings app.

You then load up game "A" and set it to quality mode. The game wont suddenly render the game at 1440p, what it will do is render at 4K 30fps still, then the Xbox will downsample that image to 1440p and output it to your screen. In effect giving you a very smooth anti-aliased image, similar to nvidia's DSR settings on PC.

The same would happen if you set it to game "A" performance mode, it will still render at 1600p, but then downsample to 1440p.

Soldato

It's not like a PC. Also all you have done is set the output to your monitor to the max available of 1440p@120 as not all games run that way. The console will output at 4k or whatever the games resolution and downscale to your monitor setting. In terms of what you think is the fps, it's really just the refresh rate of the display and the actual game is running at 60fps or what ever fps the game supports.

Soldato
@ljt thanks for the explanation, It almost sounds like the video settings are pointless and don't do anything.

@steve5424 As above, are you saying I might as well just reset the video settings to default? I'm not sure the FPS thing makes sense. I would have thought it displays the FPS as what is being received, my monitors max refresh rate is 165hz

Associate
How is it that Microsoft can’t get their own product out from their own site by the release date?

Totally defeats the point of pre ordering IMO, especially as people have already received them from other sites.

They charged my card a week ago but still showing as pending on my account. Signs don’t look good tbh.

Dont think I’d pre-order anything from them directly in the future.

Soldato
@ljt thanks for the explanation, It almost sounds like the video settings are pointless and don't do anything.

@steve5424 As above, are you saying I might as well just reset the video settings to default? I'm not sure the FPS thing makes sense. I would have thought it displays the FPS as what is being received, my monitors max refresh rate is 165hz
The series X has a max of 120hz so you may as well keep the settings.

Soldato
How is it that Microsoft can’t get their own product out from their own site by the release date?

Totally defeats the point of pre ordering IMO, especially as people have already received them from other sites.

They charged my card a week ago but still showing as pending on my account. Signs don’t look good tbh.

Dont think I’d pre-order anything from them directly in the future.

Perhaps you just weren't early enough to secure one before demand from the pre-orders outpaced the supply? Anything could have happened between you placing the order and today. They could have had production issues, shipping issues from point of manufacturer, internal stock issues. It's the same for my order from Amazon. It was saying I'd get it delivered today when I ordered, and up to this morning despite it having not dispatched. But then a few hours later it's showing as pending delivery date. I can't really be annoyed about it given the pandemic, supply and demand etc. I ordered an Xbox Series X from Microsoft and it came when they said it would, on the day of release so I doubt it's an issue with them in this situation, more that they just don't have enough headsets to go around.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps you just weren't early enough to secure one before demand from the pre-orders outpaced the supply? Anything could have happened between you placing the order and today. They could have had production issues, shipping issues from point of manufacturer, internal stock issues. It's's the same for my order from Amazon. It was saying I'd get it delivered today when I ordered, and up to this morning despite it having not dispatched. But then a few hours later it's showing as pending delivery date. I can't really be annoyed about it given the pandemic, supply and demand etc. I ordered an Xbox Series X from Microsoft and it came when they said it would, on the day of release so I doubt it's an issue with them in this situation, more that they just don't have enough headsets to go around.

I ordered as soon as it was available to do so on the site.

They should communicate that there are issues then, rather than charge my account for a week whilst saying nothing.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Not pointless as such, they are there as your Xbox needs to know what resolution to downsample/upscale the games to if needs be. So leave your video settings as they are as they sound correct.

Caporegime
I'm fed up of having a cable attached to the controller when I'm playing to be honest! I currently use HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro's and whilst they sound great, the inconvenience of a cable is what bugs me now.

I really don't see the issue with the wire. Just about every wireless set I've tried in the sub £200 range has been poor, lag, drop outs etc etc. For the sake of a small piece of cable I prefer the same or better quality for a fraction of the price and better reliability. I really don't ever notice it there until I put down the controller or headset. The only issue I have had is the crap audio connector in Xbone controllers which I've had to replace myself multiple times.

Soldato
I really don't see the issue with the wire. Just about every wireless set I've tried in the sub £200 range has been poor, lag, drop outs etc etc. For the sake of a small piece of cable I prefer the same or better quality for a fraction of the price and better reliability. I really don't ever notice it there until I put down the controller or headset. The only issue I have had is the crap audio connector in Xbone controllers which I've had to replace myself multiple times.

The cable just bothers me when I'm gaming. Not in a massive, noticeable way, but I've had wireless headsets before and I'm willing to give the Xbox headset a proper go for the wireless and other capabilities.

There are rumours going around that Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice might be on the way to Game Pass. That would be awesome, especially if they also get FPS Boost sorted for it! Sekiro was on the shelf behind Phil Spencer in a recent interview so it does seem quite likely!

Man of Honour
Hmm I think I got it all wrong when I bought the Series X thinking I would get higher frame rates at 1440P but that doesn't sound like its the case and I should have saved myself some money and got a Series S. Kind of feels like the Series X is limited by a 1440P screen to what a Series S can do for half the price.

I might consider selling it while its still worth the money I paid and getting a Series S because I'm limited to a 1440P monitor

Games that run at 120fps invariably run at 1440p max on the Series X regardless of the screen you use. The same games on the Series S run at 1080p120 generally.

Halo, Gears, Overwatch, CoD, and Ori are all like that. Wow, seeing that list we already have quite a few big name 120fps games!

There is no 1440p mode in any of the games. What will be happening is if you set the 4k/60fps mode in the game options, it'll just downscale a 4k res to 1440p/60Hz. It would do the same if you were running the series X on a 1080p screen. It just downsamples to your screen res settings, it doesn't lower the game resolution to match what you've set in the normal video settings on the dashboard app. It's basically a bit like running super resolution on the PC i.e. you'll get a bit a free anti aliasing.

Quite a few games now have 1440p modes actually. Overwatch, Fortnite, and Squadrons are the last three I remember playing that have it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

The Xbox will output 120hz regardless of what the game is refreshing at if VRR is not being used by the software.

I forgot to mention that my Xbox Wireless Headset came with this sticker on it:
oGh39bd.jpg

Maybe I did get a duff one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom