Is it even legal to work this long?

Associate
If I was on a course, I'd be off either the night before or after, probably both.

Same as @Mucky_Pup we used to get the night before and after the course off.

Never understood why the company used to schedule courses mid week, for a one day course, they never saw the sense in having them at the start or end which would have meant we'd just need the one night? :confused:

Soldato
Training still counts as work. You have to have 11 hours between shifts. Plus I think you have to have a day off between changing hours.

If there is an accident and the shift pattern is looked in to the employer will be in the ****.

Soldato
It does yes, it also includes travel time to and from work, so by law you should have 11 clear hours between shifts.
Unless you're doing something not safety critical like driving a bus on British domestic hours where a break of 10 hours is fine and can be reduced to 8.5 hours 3 times a week.

Capodecina
Soldato
I just worry being on the roads being really tired... I'm guessing he's thinking I should sleep between 5pm-9pm before I start another night shift

yes be careful, I had a friend fatally crash her car killing another driver on the way home from a night shift

Yes, don't do it if you're driving. I was nearly [i.e. by about 2-3 seconds] involved in a serious car crash going 60mph along the motorway when the driver fell asleep at the wheel. It's only because I was still awake and woke him up when I noticed the back of the lorry in front approaching too fast that I didn't get seriously injured or die.

Soldato
I work nights for a large company. - Healthcare sector.

I work 4 nights Tuesday-Friday, start time 10pm-7:15am

My boss has put me on a 2 days restraint training course this week on Thursday and Friday start time 9am-4:30pm so coming straight off shift on to a course with limited sleep over 3 days

It's going to be absolute hell to fight the tiredness - is that legal?

I just worry being on the roads being really tired... I'm guessing he's thinking I should sleep between 5pm-9pm before I start another night shift

I think its legal providing you consent to it on working time directive.

Problem is thats a law that I knew off 20 years ago, and it was a EU directive I think, so I am definitely not sure on this.

According to this it sounds like the law is still similar.

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

When I used to do four 12 hour shifts each week (and overtime), I had to sign consent form. Is why I was aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom