• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Damaged 3080fe rear cap (with a cracking ending)

Associate
Just went to add some thermal pads to the back of my 3080fe and noticed this:
q6wf-ChDKx4COexuW2m5y_Gp_TA7HFageyOi_AHj6fFO-p51BAPtluNKUhf1TxgZwZ_amg9HekE2c8tQiy_t4tGjag-JzYH7hPp9szvt0WVP6BwO7F6a8ssNeL40TvdbiwGvPRSA4ug=w2400

Any ideas guys? It's rock solid when I touch it so I doubt I broke it. Going to check if it still runs.

Edit after rma came back:

It did work when I put it all back together. Used it while waiting for the rma to be processed.

Had to push back a bit but got the rma authorisation and they picked it up and 2 weeks later I had a new 3080.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's fully cracked. From what I've read it's a "cap" which I assume means capacitor. It's absolutely rock solid they won't budge towards each other. So I think it's always been like that and ran with it but I haven't tried it running yet.

Here's a better picture:
q6wf-ChDKx4COexuW2m5y_Gp_TA7HFageyOi_AHj6fFO-p51BAPtluNKUhf1TxgZwZ_amg9HekE2c8tQiy_t4tGjag-JzYH7hPp9szvt0WVP6BwO7F6a8ssNeL40TvdbiwGvPRSA4ug=w2400

Associate
OP
I have yeah, less than a month with a significant undervolt, power limit and a keen eye on temps.

That isn't melt it's grease from the stock thermal pads (which is weird because pads on caps isn't on other fe pcbs I've seen).

Yeah I'm most probably rma it but I can't tell them I've opened it up (all stock pads are still in place so I'm okay there). So need to know a reason for the rma.

Thanks for all the help.

Associate
I have yeah, less than a month with a significant undervolt, power limit and a keen eye on temps.

That isn't melt it's grease from the stock thermal pads (which is weird because pads on caps isn't on other fe pcbs I've seen).

Yeah I'm most probably rma it but I can't tell them I've opened it up (all stock pads are still in place so I'm okay there). So need to know a reason for the rma.

Thanks for all the help.

If it was me, I'd be honest as they may be able to tell you've opened it anyway. I don't believe removing the cooler is a reason to void warranty.

I'd claim I went to replace thermal paste/pads after experiencing instability and high temperatures on the assumption that the former was a symptom of the latter.

Does it work ok otherwise - in games etc?

A good electronics engineer should be able to make light work of repairing that if you're unsuccessful.

Associate
OP
It does work very well.

Unfortunately there's an official nvidia reply doing the rounds stating replacement of the thermal pads voids the warranty. Which is questionable but does put me in an awkward position.

Associate
It does work very well.

Unfortunately there's an official nvidia reply doing the rounds stating replacement of the thermal pads voids the warranty. Which is questionable but does put me in an awkward position.

You didn't replace the pads, though, right? You only opened it with the intention of.

Do you have a link to that official reply?

Soldato
I would try to use. Rather spend a bit and get fixed than waste the whole GPU.
Yes, I think the bottom chips looks melted too. :eek:

I think thats just the remainder of the thermal pad I dont think they are melted.

If it was me, I'd be honest as they may be able to tell you've opened it anyway. I don't believe removing the cooler is a reason to void warranty.
I'd claim I went to replace thermal paste/pads after experiencing instability and high temperatures on the assumption that the former was a symptom of the latter.
Does it work ok otherwise - in games etc?
A good electronics engineer should be able to make light work of repairing that if you're unsuccessful.

I can't seem to find it but reading around and it seems even just removing the backplate voids the warranty. At least according to customer service reps replying to queries from customers.

Subject
3090 warranty

Response By Email (V****) (02/19/2021 07:12 AM)
Hello,
Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.
This is V****, assisting you with the query.
I understand from your email that you would like to know if replacing thermal pads voids the warranty.
Our warranty covers the graphics card exactly as the card is shipped and sold to a customer, once GPU is opened its no longer covered under warranty.

Problem is you only find that issue if you open it up. If you RMA it then you have to admit you opened it.

Back
Top Bottom