Time travel

Man of Honour
1) This was the time of various plagues so I would seek out the top medical people in the land and try to convince them of how infections spread.

2) This was also a time when only the wealthy could afford education. So I would try to somehow influence the setting up of free schools, particularly focussing on sciences and try to promote research into inventions such as steam power, electricity and medical advances such as penicilin. That way I could influence advances without being accused of being a witch. I would simply be helping the population advance faster than they would normally but allowing them to discover inventions I already know would work.

I'd also change my name to John Titor for the lols.

Soldato
OP
OK so if I'm tied to my profession (software engineer) there's basically nothing I can do because there are no computers, the profession doesn't exist yet and there's nothing comparable. My backup career option was joining the navy, but the navy 500 years ago was super dangerous so probably not that either.
Aaah, before the Duke or Albany's Royal Maritime Regiment of Foot eh? Yeah the navy would be in early doors in 1600, and not formally formed until mid 1600's IIRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you would need to look at technology invented/conceived or discoveries made 100-200 years later and bring them forward if you can.
I guess education for the masses would be a good thing. Promoting the benefits of a sewer system and internal plumbing perhaps?

My skills wouldn't be that useful. My missus is a naval architect so she has some useful skills, not sure how an educated Irish woman would fare with that knowledge in those times. Probably ignored or burnt.

Soldato
I have annoyingly misplaced my copy but you want to read The Knoweldge it would be right up your street for this question. The bessemer process for better steel, the haber process for ammonia and caustic soda for improving the hygene of operations would be 3 key technologies to take back with you.

Caporegime
I had a dream once that I was facing a medieval army, all armoured up, and I was across the other end of the battlefield with a minigun and killed the whole army in a few minutes.

Soldato
Introduce the word "Dude".

Rip off all the Beetles tunes.

Pokémon Go. Although considering the **** poor mobile coverage would probably have to devote the world's resources to breeding real Pokémon.

Soldato
OP
So, OP, are you planning a trip to the middle east, Africa, south America or Mars?
Lol, random! Not sure a horse and cart would get me to Mars.
The source alone knows why this thought just popped into my head this morning. I certainly started the thread without putting too much thought into it. :cool:

Soldato
Well if were on about time travel, before going back 500 years, first I would go back 10, buy a rediculous amount of bitcoin, then travel 100 years into the future and buy what ever insane bionic upgrades/implants I can transforming myself into a super human being. Then I'd go back the 500 years and become a GOD among men!

Back
Top Bottom