Any way to disconnect this pump

Soldato
IMG-20210317-110537.jpg

I want to stop power getting to this pump, but don't want to touch the junction box that it connects to. Do you think there's a way to disable it?

It has a dial to control the speed of pumping. Don't see any switches though.

Soldato
OP
Switch off boiler in your fuse box.
The pump is for a solar circuit, which is now empty. Everything is wired into the same junction and controlled by one switch in the fuse box. So if on, the pump and boiler will be on and then the pump may be damaged. But I need to have the boiler on.

Soldato
The pump is for a solar circuit, which is now empty. Everything is wired into the same junction and controlled by one switch in the fuse box. So if on, the pump and boiler will be on and then the pump may be damaged. But I need to have the boiler on.
Sorry let me re-phrase, isolate the circuit by knocking off the boiler in the fuse box, test it is indeed dead, then 'unwire'. If you aren't comfortable touching the junction box then cut the wire and terminate it in another spare junction box attached to the wall and labelled clearly.

This is on the presumption you know what you are doing and knocking off the pump power makes sense to do. I guess the right thing to do would be to totally remove the pump as it'll put more strain on whatever other pump is running trying to push past the isolated/dead pump.

Man of Honour
Then I think you'll need to turn the boiler off temporarily, open the junction box they are all connected to, disconnect the wires for the pump only, close the junction box and turn the boiler circuit back on. It should be really simple but if you're not sure then contact an electrician.

Soldato
OP
Sorry let me re-phrase, isolate the circuit by knocking off the boiler in the fuse box, test it is indeed dead, then 'unwire'. If you aren't comfortable touching the junction box then cut the wire and terminate it in another spare junction box attached to the wall and labelled clearly.

This is on the presumption you know what you are doing and knocking off the pump power makes sense to do. I guess the right thing to do would be to totally remove the pump as it'll put more strain on whatever other pump is running trying to push past the isolated/dead pump.

If I didn't reconnect the cut wire back to the junction, then I'd be breaking the circuit for the boiler wouldn't I?

Soldato
OP
Then I think you'll need to turn the boiler off temporarily, open the junction box they are all connected to, disconnect the wires for the pump only, close the junction box and turn the boiler circuit back on. It should be really simple but if you're not sure then contact an electrician.
That's what I originally planned to do, but I can't trace the wires clearly, it's messy inside. Maybe need an electrician to avoid causing any damage.

Associate
If it's on a solar circuit then it'll have its own controller, it may share a fused spur with the boiler but it won't be controlled by it.

If you're no longer using the solar then disconnect the power to the controller, not the pump.

Back
Top Bottom