New kettle advice.

Associate
Hi there.

My kettle is giving up the ghost and I am on the lookout for a new one.

I have been doing a bit of research and there is a staggering amount of models and advice on what to go for.

Based upon everything I have read, I have three requirements:
* Variable temperatures
* No plastic in contact with the water - i.e. glass or steel
* Less than 500ml minimum boil (not the end of the world, if it does not have this, but it does seem wasteful to keep boiling so much for a single cup of tea).

Whilst I would like something as economic as possible, I am not convinced by kettles that claim to have a "quick boil" function to save power - surely these put more power in, in a short time, so the net use of electricity is roughly the same.

Any advice or model recommendations would be much appreciated.

Soldato
So, in other words, you want a saucepan or a billy. :p
I could nick you a Boiling Vessel out the back of an APC, or you could just go buy a Jetboil or Kelly Kettle. Outside of that, you're looking at an automatic tea kettle, ie a modern version of a teasmade.

Seriously, though, what on earth do you want variable temperatures for?
A kettle's sole purpose, according to various defninitions, is to boil water. That means 100ºC, give or take.
No plastic is easy enough, as is minimum volume.

But I honestly reckon you're really overthinking and overspeccing this. It's a kettle, not a space-faring corvette.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that.

I am usually not sucked in by appliances with gimmicks but variable temperatures does seem to be one of those rare exceptions.

For as long as I can remember, I have made every hot drink by just whacking in boiling hot water.

I happened to watch a TV programme that mentioned that certain teas and coffees (fruit teas, green teas, breakfast teas, ground and freeze-dried coffee) not only all needed to use water that was below 100 degrees but differing temperatures.

Being the cynical sod I am, I experimented with a proper thermometer and the suggested temperatures was noticeable enough to convert me.

I always, now, let the kettle cool down after boiling or try and take it off early to try and guess the correct temperature - I was just hoping that a variable temperature kettle would make this a bit easier.

With regards the plastic - I am not convinced that the plastics commonly used are completely "safe" in the long term, so would prefer glass or steel.

The minimum fill is about me being a miser. The minimum fill on my current kettle is about 2 cups - seems silly to heat 2 cups, when only one is often needed.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that - amazing kettle but, again, the minimum fill is 500ml.

Most seem to be that way - perhaps I should upgrade my mug sizes.

Soldato
On the avoidance of wasting electricity, have you considered one of those boiling water taps like a Quooker?

Mind you, I think they might fall down on the variable temperature thing.

And I suspect they cost a bomb.

Soldato

I expect it's the best for your needs, there's some Chinese generic brand stuff that's similar but I'm not sure how much I'd trust it.

I think you're going to have to make an exception somewhere, and minimum fill is probably the area I'd choose to let go in that regard.

If you tend to have a couple of cups in a row the 'keep warm' function might be a bit of a workaround, it functions for 20 minutes I believe. Still using electricity obviously, but I doubt to the extent of boiling over again.

Last edited:
Soldato

I did once go to the pub for a Sunday roast, I was so broken from the night before I had to start off ordering tea. Bar maid made me a pint of tea in a dimpled pint mug. That well and truly hit the spot.

Soldato
I happened to watch a TV programme that mentioned that certain teas and coffees (fruit teas, green teas, breakfast teas, ground and freeze-dried coffee) not only all needed to use water that was below 100 degrees but differing temperatures.
Being the cynical sod I am, I experimented with a proper thermometer and the suggested temperatures was noticeable enough to convert me.
People will have been drinking these teas for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the thermometer. How on earth do you think they managed in those days?
As is, most teas and coffees recommend water that has boiled and then cooled to around 85ºC anyway, so the kettle is just for that stage 1.

If it matters that much, a simple metal pot on the stove and a cooking thermometer will likely be your best bet.
However, even if you get the water to the perfect temperature pouring from the kettle*, there are many other variables that would rapidly alter the temperature and skew it away from perfection. Sounds more like this would end up as a full-on tea ceremony.

With regards the plastic - I am not convinced that the plastics commonly used are completely "safe" in the long term, so would prefer glass or steel.
Plenty of glass ones with metal bases. Our Russell Hobbs one has this, along with blue LEDs so you can see the water all pretty.
Not many with metal tops too, though.
Minimum fill looks to be about 1 teacup, which is probably 2-300ml.

*I'd also guess that you're supposed to use teapots or something anyway, rather than pouring direct.

Soldato
Hi there.

My kettle is giving up the ghost and I am on the lookout for a new one.

I have been doing a bit of research and there is a staggering amount of models and advice on what to go for.

Based upon everything I have read, I have three requirements:
* Variable temperatures
* No plastic in contact with the water - i.e. glass or steel
* Less than 500ml minimum boil (not the end of the world, if it does not have this, but it does seem wasteful to keep boiling so much for a single cup of tea).

Whilst I would like something as economic as possible, I am not convinced by kettles that claim to have a "quick boil" function to save power - surely these put more power in, in a short time, so the net use of electricity is roughly the same.

Any advice or model recommendations would be much appreciated.

Boil what you need, no more. That's the most economical adjustment you can make. It's a myth that higher power kettles waste more energy so dont worry about that. If you need to boil 2 litres occasionally then get a kettle that'll hold 2 litres etc.

Soldato
Get a Dualit (the legit handmade one, not the mid-market one). See you in 20 years for the next kettle buying thread :D

I doubt they have variable temp control, but I can't imagine that being too consistent nor have much longevity.

Back
Top Bottom