• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Damaged 3080fe rear cap (with a cracking ending)

Soldato
If it’s solid and not moving as you say, that means it must have been like that when the solder was flowed in the oven...

Going to be at the mercy of Nvidia though as it’s going to be very hard to prove it’s not as the result of a bodged repair etc. I can see them denying all responsibility personally... as said your other option is to put it back together and forget about it, if it fails in the next 3 years return as normal.

Worst case that should be very easy work for someone with a reflow station and a bit of soldering skill... obviously it’s not great since you likely aren’t responsible but it’s an option if you want it fixed and Nvidia don’t help.

Soldato
basically sit on the card until it fails and pretend it was never opened, especially if you didn;t actually change the pads.

I would do this above although by all reports removing the backplate ruins the pads so you cant really put them back unless you are really careful but I thought you said you replaced them anyway.
Wouldnt trust any repair guy to fix it either. The original pads on the back are meant to transfer heat from the components on the front side/hot spots through the PCB to the back plate as well as components like RAM on a 3090 to the backplate.

It must have been good enough to pass their QA but obviously its not the best solution as people have found and proven extra pads/replacement pads on the back cut down the heat a bit but then again thats an added cost so probably Nvidia cutting costs where they can. They must be pretty weak conductivity wise the Nvidia ones maybe 1 or 2 W/mk as even using 6.0 W/mK pads makes a difference. Those $150 coolers arent cheap have to cut costs somewhere ;)

Just put it back together and keep on using it and forget it.

Soldato
Any ideas guys? It's rock solid when I touch it so I doubt I broke it. Going to check if it still runs.

Place thermal tape around it. Heat with heat gun to melt solder, remove broken capacitor, replace with new, reheat to reflow solder. Check out the Adamant IT channel on Youtube for how to do this.

Associate
i would not run that even if its stable. Try get it RMAd or repaired.
There could be a fair amount of voltage running through that capacitor. Which could cause a fire and or short circuit..even though it appears stable.

Moral of the story dont open the cards,

A) unless you know what you are doing
B) expect to damage something.

Associate
Are you mad?

You: Hi nVidia, so I took apart one of your cards and....

Nvidia: No.

Why would he be mad, probably damaged it disassembling the card?

hi nvidia, i took the card apart. I wanted to mine a bit more, and keep it cooler whilst mining.
I knew that I would invalidate the warranty, but i done it anyway and in the process i damaged it. yolo.
Can i get another one please?

nvidia: no.

damn right i say.

Associate
OP

hi nvidia, i took the card apart. I wanted to mine a bit more, and keep it cooler whilst mining.
I knew that I would invalidate the warranty, but i done it anyway and in the process i damaged it. yolo.

damn right i say.

What's with the hate? Did mining kill a family member?

I mine when not gaming using electricity from a green supplier.

Also the fact its rock solid and not moving is an indication I didn't damage it from simply removing the backplate (which is required for watercooling if I decide to go that route). Another indication is the card runs fine after I put the backplate back on.

I like modding things I'm pretty sure that a lot of us in this community do too. Plenty of the other members have been helpful and supportive it's a shame you were not.

i would not run that even if its stable. Try get it RMAd or repaired.
There could be a fair amount of voltage running through that capacitor. Which could cause a fire and or short circuit..even though it appears stable.

Moral of the story dont open the cards,

A) unless you know what you are doing
B) expect to damage something.

I was confident in removing the backplate. The fact it's running as it was prior does indicate that the card had the fault since I got it and I didn't damage it. I will be going for an rma though so thanks for the reply.

Going to request an rma tonight and see how it goes.

Associate

damn right i say.
Who is mad here ? Lol

Associate

Also the fact its rock solid and not moving is an indication I didn't damage it from simply removing the backplate (which is required for watercooling if I decide to go that route). Another indication is the card runs fine after I put the backplate back on.

I like modding things I'm pretty sure that a lot of us in this community do too. Plenty of the other members have been helpful and supportive it's a shame you were not.

My warranty is over, i fitted a water block to my 3090Fe but have to say i am pleased i did, runs nice and cool and performs as i wanted, nice and quiet to.

Associate

I was confident in removing the backplate. The fact it's running as it was prior does indicate that the card had the fault since I got it and I didn't damage it. I will be going for an rma though so thanks for the reply.

Going to request an rma tonight and see how it goes.

I think some people just don't really get computers.

You'd think from their comments that you'd started desoldering components or something.

Associate
guys wtf. u dont need warranty for this. this part cost like 0.2£ on ally express. i can solder this with my eyes closed. this is madness ~!!!

Op if u want i can get it fixed for you free of charge. come over bring your card it will take 10 min tops.

i had a better look at the picture and with out schematics i cant tell you for sure but chances are there are more of these caps in paralel and if one down its not the end of a world.

Its like if u had a car with 10 wheels if u get a punchure on one wheel u can still drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above a pretty simple fix for someone with a few tools. Preheat with a heatgun + soldering iron. Iron by itself likely won’t do it due to the massive power plane.

If it works I’d leave it IMO. It won’t do any damage it not being there, or being cracked. likely the card will run 1 phase down but if it’s undervolted anyway it likely won’t make any difference replacing it.

However if you can have it replaced cheaply it wouldn’t harm to do so.

Back
Top Bottom