• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6700XT review thread

Associate
I think the impact of mining on GPU availability is overblown.
You can't get a latest gen console either and there is no mining on those.
And that's with between 70% to 80% of AMD's TSMC 7nm wafers going towards consoles.
Estimate is that Sony have shipped at least 4.5 million PS5. Microsoft has supposed to have been less even between the XBX and XBS but possibly 3.5 million.
So possibly 8 million consoles shipped and still a shortage, so gaming demand must be through the roof.

Soldato
And that's with between 70% to 80% of AMD's TSMC 7nm wafers going towards consoles.
Estimate is that Sony have shipped at least 4.5 million PS5. Microsoft has supposed to have been less even between the XBX and XBS but possibly 3.5 million.
So possibly 8 million consoles shipped and still a shortage, so gaming demand must be through the roof.

If the reported numbers are right - AMD are spending $400 million a month at TSMC for wafers (40,000 a month @ $10,000 each) - They took a large chunk of Huwawei`s when that order was cancelled, and IIRC they wil get a large chunk of Apples as well, once they migrate to 5nm. 7nm is fully booked - , they simply have no space for Nvidia to change from Samsung

Associate
You can't get a latest gen console either and there is no mining on those.

I think there has been a perfect storm people at home who have found laptops lacking

people like me who was on intel 6th gen and are now upgrading it just seems the right time

mining maybe

and a general increase in pc gaming especialy as we start to see more cross platform games ariving ( how many times has it been decalared dead)

Associate
Well the performance looked a little bit lacklustre.
Only 2% more rasta performance than a 3060Ti, crap RT performance and no DLSS.

It guess the price time now.
==================

This RRP in uk should be £412-420 for a vanilla 6700xt
Add 80-90 quid max for AIB versions.
They should be coming in at £499 max AIB.
AIB will probably be £599-£649 and no stock.

Associate
If the reported numbers are right - AMD are spending $400 million a month at TSMC for wafers (40,000 a month @ $10,000 each) - They took a large chunk of Huwawei`s when that order was cancelled, and IIRC they wil get a large chunk of Apples as well, once they migrate to 5nm. 7nm is fully booked - , they simply have no space for Nvidia to change from Samsung
After the bidding war for wafers (see my post in AMD on the road to recovery thread) the price might be more than $10k now.
Certainly @Grim5 thinks they are closer to $15k.
Isnt 7nm $13k and that's last years price before tsmc increased them. 5nm is like $20k and $30k for 3nm (but again these numbers are from before tsmc announced a price increase for this year)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34608712/

Associate
Those figures look a bit more palatable.
Interesting that they have figures (guesses might be a better word but at least they've done a lot of calculation to get to those guesses), going all the way back to 90nm.
Might have to take my spreadsheet and include a few 14nm and 28nm examples too.
Still the bidding war is real so rather than the accustomed decrease per wafer, 7nm might have gone the other way.
TSMC will be able to pay of some of their huge cap-ex sooner then.
It also means that Navi10 and Navi22 might not be that easy to compare. Not only is 6700XT using a 33% bigger chip (335mm² vs 251mm²) than 5700XT the wafer prices might have gone up rather than down.
Still, for GPUs wafer prices are very important, but as Zen3 prices indicate for chiplets under 100mm² they aren't half as important.

Soldato

its hard to judge what proportion of global stock is going to miners but I'm on a few discord groups and in other countries, every day, there are people posting with pictures of them receiving 6-10 brand new 3060's/Tis/3070's/3080's.

I think we're getting drip fed here in the UK and that in other countries especially the US there are small miners picking up these by the bucketload. Today someone shared an image of an order of over 40 rx5500Xt's at $200 each.

God only knows what direct supplies the big miners are getting from distributers.

Back
Top Bottom