Anyone else had a handwritten letter from the JW recently?

Soldato
I received about 4 of them back in the summer, though I think there was another reason.

One of my ex-wifes friends was a god bothering loon and when my wife left me back in the summer i received a number of letters offering me support in these trying times the week after she moved out.
I'm sure she meant well and was very much against my ex's actions and supportive of me but a bunch of letters from her little cult just went in the bin.

Soldato
Don't think we have any JW churches nearby, so unlikely to get one.

That's a lot of effort and cost to go through to send X number of letters out randomly. Going out into the community to knock on people's doors is basically free.

Associate
In my early years I once for some reason invited them in. One of the group asked to use the toilet, never again will they set foot over my door after discovering the state of the toilet bowl.

Soldato
In my early years I once for some reason invited them in. One of the group asked to use the toilet, never again will they set foot over my door after discovering the state of the toilet bowl.
:p My Dad let a bin man who got caught short use our toilet once. Mum almost divorced him.

Soldato
I still get The Watchtower booklet put through my door but they haven't rang the doorbell when I've been in for a while. The last time I did answer, the poor girl was terrified when my slightly excitable Collie decided she looked like the most fun person in the world and made a beeline straight for her!

Soldato
I know a few JW and have dealings with them on a daily basis when I’m at my place at Rannoch. They do mention the creator when they can and occasionally will hand me a copy of The Watchtower.

Soldato
They've not bothered me since that one time I decided to talk to them and when they asked me what I thought would be the best thing for the human race, I told them that genocide was a good place to start.

I think they meant that the invisible guy in the sky is the answer, but I wasn't about to give that as an answer.

Soldato
My parents got one sent a few months ago.

If they are handwritten and not some amazing good printed version, then I appreciate the effort that someone believes in something to put the time in to hand writing a personalised letter.

Soldato
Had a chat to some a couple of years back... Among other things, I asked them if their child needed a blood transfusion would you allow them to have it? he said no. So like most religious people they're nice on the surface but when you dig a bit they have some pretty harmful beliefs.

Soldato
I assume that because they're not allowed to go bashing on doors, they're writing letters to people.

If any of them knock here, they just get a polite "No thanks" and I close the door but I wonder how many people have received similar letters recently.

Please don't turn this into a pro or anti religion thread, I'm just interested to know how widespread this practise is.

/edit - I've also not used the full name so that if they regularly search for mentions then they won't find this thread ;)

My mum got one of those last week.

Soldato
I've always had a respectful conversational "Could we have a chat?" - "No but thanks for visiting" - "OK well thank you anyway, goodbye" type relationship with my local JW folks but I find it highlights my biggest pet-peeve with most religions I've come across, the desire of it's followers to coax others into joining. So just because they've either enjoyed their faith so much or, more likely, their religion tells them to and they'll be granted afterlife rewards, they've decided to want everyone else to join their faith too.

I'm a very neutral person towards all religion I'd say. As far as I'm concerned you can believe whatever the hell you like and, as long as it's legal and/or doesn't harm anyone, then I'm all for you enjoying your every aspect of your faith no questions asked, but please, keep it to your specific places of worship and leave folks alone. I mean folks don't go to folks church/mosque/synagogue/temple etc to ask people to leave their religion so I'd appreciate some reciprocity here and ask that no-one comes to random peoples house just to ask them to join their religion.

Back
Top Bottom