*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Interesting, so the switch didn't attract any additional fees? Is this because it's under this £135 figure I've heard about?

The USW-Lite-8-PoE arrived fine without and fee's the only annoying thing is it comes with a EU plug but I have one of those clip in plugs for it.

Soldato
Evening,
I just want to get some thoughts, I am soon to be moving into my first house and I am weighing up what ISP to go with. Virgin Media not available in my area.

Is their a 'best' ISP to go with in terms of having the most flexibility to use Ubiquiti kit? It seems a lot of providers won't allow modem mode on their supplied routers and so forth which can cause issues with double NAT so want to avoid that if I can.

I have an Edgeroute Lite my mate gave me a while back so in my head I am thinking of utilising that....

Outside World -> ISP (Modem Mode) -> WAN on Edgerouter then LAN -> POESwitch -> AC Pro AP

Then anything additional e.g. cameras can be added later with a cloudkeyplus.

Cheers

Soldato
Evening,
I just want to get some thoughts, I am soon to be moving into my first house and I am weighing up what ISP to go with. Virgin Media not available in my area.

Is their a 'best' ISP to go with in terms of having the most flexibility to use Ubiquiti kit? It seems a lot of providers won't allow modem mode on their supplied routers and so forth which can cause issues with double NAT so want to avoid that if I can.

I have an Edgeroute Lite my mate gave me a while back so in my head I am thinking of utilising that....

Outside World -> ISP (Modem Mode) -> WAN on Edgerouter then LAN -> POESwitch -> AC Pro AP

Then anything additional e.g. cameras can be added later with a cloudkeyplus.

Cheers

If you get FTTP then you don’t need anything than the EdgeRouter and the connection credentials from your ISP. So that is your best option.

If you get FTTC VDSL or ADSL then you need a modem capable of connecting to the right type of line and the one most folks go for is the Openreach modem. There are two flavours, Huawei and ECI. They both cost about £15 on eBay and they are zero-configuration. You plug it into the phone socket and plug the other end into your EdgeRouter. Sometimes, if you make the Openreach engineer an especially nice cup of coffee they might have a modem and they’ll leave it with you, so it always pays to ask. The most commonly used alternative to the Openreach modem is the Draytek Vigor range. Vigor 120 does ADSL. Vigor 130 does VDSL and ADSL and Vigor 160 does G.fast as well. The standard Openreach modem won’t do G.fast, but generally if you’re running G.fast Openreach will leave you the right kind of Huawei modem.

If you select Sky as your ISP they use a slightly different connection method and you’ll need to do a tiny extra configuration step in the EdgeRouter but for almost any other ISP all you need is the username and password from the ISP.

So get quotes and once you know what kind of line you’re getting, get kitted up. They all work much the same.

Soldato
If you get FTTP then you don’t need anything than the EdgeRouter and the connection credentials from your ISP. So that is your best option.

If you get FTTC VDSL or ADSL then you need a modem capable of connecting to the right type of line and the one most folks go for is the Openreach modem. There are two flavours, Huawei and ECI. They both cost about £15 on eBay and they are zero-configuration. You plug it into the phone socket and plug the other end into your EdgeRouter. Sometimes, if you make the Openreach engineer an especially nice cup of coffee they might have a modem and they’ll leave it with you, so it always pays to ask. The most commonly used alternative to the Openreach modem is the Draytek Vigor range. Vigor 120 does ADSL. Vigor 130 does VDSL and ADSL and Vigor 160 does G.fast as well. The standard Openreach modem won’t do G.fast, but generally if you’re running G.fast Openreach will leave you the right kind of Huawei modem.

If you select Sky as your ISP they use a slightly different connection method and you’ll need to do a tiny extra configuration step in the EdgeRouter but for almost any other ISP all you need is the username and password from the ISP.

So get quotes and once you know what kind of line you’re getting, get kitted up. They all work much the same.
Cheers for the reply mate, so I think the best I can get is G.Fast, although I was looking at Sky actually as I can get a good deal through them for the TV and Broadband so that would be handy if I could go that route. Can you give me anymore details on the Sky connection method, had a quick browse of the Sky forums and just want to check I am on the right path.

Soldato
Cheers for the reply mate, so I think the best I can get is G.Fast, although I was looking at Sky actually as I can get a good deal through them for the TV and Broadband so that would be handy if I could go that route. Can you give me anymore details on the Sky connection method, had a quick browse of the Sky forums and just want to check I am on the right path.

You need to enable Option 61 DHCP

https://community.ui.com/questions/...ption-61/6f0e6ce5-3a1b-4e4b-bb4d-cf8f9f472005

Associate
Those of you that have ordered from the EU store, when did you actually have to pay the VAT, import duty and handling fees?

I ask because i ordered 2x U6-LR, 2x 8 port Lite switches and 2x mini switches, no VAT was applied at checkout due to it being over £135. I was expecting the usual letter of you have £x.xx VAT, import, handling fees to pay via this website and then we will deliver your stuff. However, i have just received the order with nothing more paid (Czech EU store to UK in 4 days via UPS for those interested).

Is it normal to get a bill after delivery or have i somehow dodged the bullet?

Cheers.

Soldato
Those of you that have ordered from the EU store, when did you actually have to pay the VAT, import duty and handling fees?

I ask because i ordered 2x U6-LR, 2x 8 port Lite switches and 2x mini switches, no VAT was applied at checkout due to it being over £135. I was expecting the usual letter of you have £x.xx VAT, import, handling fees to pay via this website and then we will deliver your stuff. However, i have just received the order with nothing more paid (Czech EU store to UK in 4 days via UPS for those interested).

Is it normal to get a bill after delivery or have i somehow dodged the bullet?

Cheers.

I’d say you’ve dodged a bullet.

Soldato
I'm still umming and ahhing over ordering from the EU store. I get that VAT is payable at some point but what about import duty, is that payable too and what's the rate (HMRC website is utterly impenetrable)

Soldato
Morning all

I’m moving over to Virgin Media M350 broadband at the end of this month from SkyQ fttc, I have 3 x UniFi LR APs around my detached bungalow, wifi has been less that Stella and I think this could be due to the SkyQ signal dropping here or there, My plan is to set the Virgin hub to modem only and leave my UniFi system running and disable all SkyQ ssid signal casting, is there anything else I need to change?

Thanks

Soldato
OK so I just decided to bite the bullet and order a couple of items from the EU store.

Except the total came to €168 and they then applied VAT at 20% at the checkout. I thought, if the value was above £135, they were supposed to NOT charge VAT at source and I'd be charged by the courier?

Now I'm confused and concerned I'll be charged VAT twice.

Soldato
Isolate Sky onto it’s own VLAN, move your 5Ghz to channel 44 and wait for Sky to pull their thumb out of their arse.

disable Wi-Fi on the Sky Q boxes

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-box-interfering-with-Wifi/td-p/3537302/page/26

Good info, thanks!

I read that SkyQ boxes don't like connection to a UniFi network, this is a challenge but I'm done with Sky now really, the below might be the answer I'm looking for

I also recommend the following Radio Settings.

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHzChannel width: HT20Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHzChannel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stabilityChanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS ChannelsTransmit Power: Medium ( High )

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, for general info, my order from the EU store I placed on Friday arrived this morning.

Value was above the £135 threshold but they charged me VAT at source. I mailed them to question this and they confirmed that is now the standard practice. I can only assume that, as they know their stuff isn't subject to import duty, they can calculate and collect the correct VAT themselves. They said there'd be nothing else to pay.

So delivery only took two working days and no further charges which is fairly impressive really.

Associate
getting real bored of this now..

alert that an AP has disconnected, so half my wifi is down. controller says heartbeat lost but the AP can still be SSH'd. it connected to the same switch as the Ubuntu VM running the controller.

i just randomly lose my APs at for no particular reason. SSH and "reboot" and up it comes again.

controller 6.0.45.0. ac-lites on 4.3.28.11361. but has happened on multiple different firmwares now.

vE4b8h1.jpg

Sorry if that has been addressed but firmware 4.3.28 for APs seems to have a lot of issues. Downgrade to 4.3.24 and remain on controller firmware 6.0.45 and try that.

Back
Top Bottom