Road Cycling

Soldato
I used co2 a few times but I thought at the end of the day it doesn't take that much longer to use a pump and it generally helped to start a tube with a pump and then co2 anyway...

I also use a tool bottle though in summer (when I am more likely to want two bottles) I tend to just stuff the bits in a Lezyne caddy sack in my jersey pocket with pump.

Soldato
Happy to ride home at 50-60psi. 100psi does not sound fun.

Ever since getting the PSI sensors and making sure I'm around 105psi all the time (this drops 5-8psi when out in the cold) I've had far less punctures. I wouldn't dare ride home on 60psi as almost certainly it would get pinched flat again. Probably a 'big guy problem' though.

it generally helped to start a tube with a pump and then co2 anyway

I go the first few psi on a pump, to check the new tube holds the air, then empty a 16g, but that takes me to about 80psi, then my pump up to the 105 :) It could be it takes me longer swapping things over than just pumping, but I'm saving my arm strength at least ;)

Soldato
Honestly, I pump my tyres maybe once every 2 weeks. Probably not the most efficient and means they're likely below 70 often (only pump to 80) but it really doesn't affect much. Tubeless annoyed me. Had to pump every few days.

Soldato
Replaced bearings in a DT Swiss freehub (and the rear wheel itself)... freehub sticks when I stop pedalling (basically a fixie). Seems fine when out of the bike and barely any grease in there. I removed the grease and replaced with a very light coating of oil. Still no dice. Any other ideas?

I'm thinking maybe the bearings aren't quite in right place and the QR clamp stops them spinning well.

Soldato
Also got some muc off chamois cream to try, merlin didn’t have assos but they do in store for some reason :o anyway the muc off stuff comes in a tub twice as big as normal so see if it’s any good!

It's excellent stuff. Way better than Assos IMO.
But even better than the muc off stuff is Veloskin. I am 100% nothing but Veloskin now. Their products are superb.

Soldato
Replaced bearings in a DT Swiss freehub (and the rear wheel itself)... freehub sticks when I stop pedalling (basically a fixie). Seems fine when out of the bike and barely any grease in there. I removed the grease and replaced with a very light coating of oil. Still no dice. Any other ideas?

I'm thinking maybe the bearings aren't quite in right place and the QR clamp stops them spinning well.
So I reduced the pressure on the QR to very loose and it's fine. I guess possible I don't have he bearings seated properly in the freehub or wheel...

In meantime I ordered a spare freehub... then promptly realised I ordered MTB version. Called the shop and they said MTB version allows for slightly wider cassettes so won't work for road :(

Road version out of stock until mid April UK-wide.

But even better than the muc off stuff is Veloskin. I am 100% nothing but Veloskin now. Their products are superb.
Not tried Assoss but agree it's good stuff. Shame they hiked prices to like £20 back last year. Used to be £13! Think it's a bit cheaper again now.

Soldato

Just searched for them, and noticed they have a 'try our products for free, just pay postage' offer.

£2.50, both a samples of cream and gel on the way. Will see how i get on :)

Soldato

I do like the Muc Off stuff, but recently been using the Be Elite Wiggle stuff and it's been great, don't need much and a tenner lasts me a good couple of months which isn't bad for 8 uses a week! I'll have to try the Veloskin!

Soldato
I do like the Muc Off stuff, but recently been using the Be Elite Wiggle stuff and it's been great, don't need much and a tenner lasts me a good couple of months which isn't bad for 8 uses a week! I'll have to try the Veloskin!

The Wiggle Be Elite tins look very similar to the Veloskin ones, so I wondered if it's the same product...

I've got a tin of Veloskin to try next (currently using Muc Off) , though spotted Muc Off at a decent price on Rutland the other day, so grabbed another tub when I ordered some more bib shorts.

Soldato
Putting the feelers out for what training aids you have for getting back to fitness (I am aware the weathers improving :) ). I have young family now so putting the leg over the steed and riding out for 4+ hours is not so simple these days. I also got on with other things since covid and now I need to recoup months of neglect (which is all my fault).
Think you've had all the correct advice already, but just to back it up - Do an FTP 'test' as it's nothing more than a measure of where you are right now, then use that figure on any training plan to improve. Fit in around what time/family commitments etc you have. But keep the enjoyment somehow, so you don't just get 'bored of being slow'. Improvements will come fast for a returning rider and the majority of plans build in a bunch of the base/endurance type workouts you really are thinking you need before pushing yourself.

Any of the platforms you mentioned have training plans of varying lengths and degrees of 'hurt'. I'd start with some of the longer beginner ones as you'll find them 'easy' to do alongside some other riding for 'fun'.

ok power data geeks, here's one for you...
I decided to put my Assioma pedal PWM on my Tarmac, which has a Quarq DZero.
Lost a big reply I'd written and thought I'd posted. GRrrr, but good numbers and well done on getting them so stable/close/accurate so easily... But a Smart trainer alongside a PWM is quite a different story as they're the 2 'ends' of the whole chain (like I'm finding lol).

Has anyone experienced a bug in Strava where despite standing still, it still thinks you're moving slightly and so the auto pause doesn't kick in?
Strava on a smartphone uses the phones GPS, so it's that which is triggering and drifting, not Strava itself.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/03...eWvjK6hj2f53gwWo_bnU5YD45EZp8ckS_J-Gk8SRPFnSk

Mega.
This is the path away from these useless Vector 3's and Look Keo cleats.
Just need to start saving now and/or sell one of the children. Be close to a grand I reckon.
Agreed. Mega! Although the pods look very Assioma don't they? Would be surprised if they where not Wahoo's own units due to all the manufacturoering and such they have. Although bit of a shame they seem to have dropped the 'Pave' version as would've thought that would be a massive marketing 'thing' to have a PWM pedal aimed at Gravel for an American company...

Anyone got any recommendations for bike fitting around Worcester way?
https://bikefitsolutions.co.uk/

In between Worcester and Hereford, local guy I've mentioned before (do a search). Basically worked in the various shops here, then did quite extensive fitting training (Retul and others) while there before branching out on his own when the LBS changed hands... Think he still did the 'advanced' stuff for them (and other local shops/teams) before Covid happened.

Haha, saw a mate the other day who said he'd got one recently. I asked him what groupset, "mechanical dura ace, I don't get on with electrics, and it's got a lovely threaded bottom bracket" :D

Bloody old timers with all their money.
Typical! Also explains why the pricing is as crazy as it is - retirement money! :rolleyes:

@Drollic it's not for me. But I disagree and think a bike fit is probably some of the best money you can spend irrelevant of your experience level.
/seconded.

I should probably just get a Wahoo...

I kinda wish someone made a more open bike computer. Would be nice if I could dev little addons/automations into it. Hammerhead's offering looks a little more open but quite expensive.
Do it! But to be honest that just sounds like a corrupted/faulty MicroSD card so worth changing that first.

The Stages looked like a good head unit and worth reading up DCR as seem to recall som mention about side loading stuff (but I could be wrong). Not really heard of much other than Garmin doing stuff with their Connect IQ or whatever it's called to host other apps on head units. Amazing/annoying nobody has made a head unit that runs Android really as that would be a great way to do it. Just think of all the tech going into smart watches.

Honestly, I pump my tyres maybe once every 2 weeks. Probably not the most efficient and means they're likely below 70 often (only pump to 80) but it really doesn't affect much. Tubeless annoyed me. Had to pump every few days.
Better sealant needed! But I'm the same with TL really, although it's probably every 3-4 weeks at the moment. Pump them up to 60/50 and done. Maybe 65/55 if going out on a longer and faster 'summer jolly' type ride. :cool:

First thought would be it missing a spacer somewhere when you reassembled (if it's not the bearings being incorrectly seated). Possibly between the bearings in the freehub (assuming cartridge), if there's one there it shouldn't be so tight between the bearings it can't 'wiggle', or one between the inner bearing on the bottom of the freehub and the axle/body (so the freehub is actually 'free'. Another to watch would be the outermost bearing being camped by the endcap so tightly against the outer race it can't turn, probably an indicator it isn't fully recessed in the hub.

Soldato

8 times a week my backside wouldn’t stay on the saddle!

Tried it tonight and probably as good or better than the assos for less cash. Robbie Mcewen is the best stuff I’ve used but Australian market only I think.

My Tickr strap managed to expire today. New ones seem to be like rocking horse poo at the minute. Might have to upgrade to the Tickr2 which seems a bit of a waste. Can you use a third party strap and if so any recommendations as it’s the sort of thing that Amazon will be full of cheap **** copies.

Soldato
8 times a week my backside wouldn’t stay on the saddle!

Tried it tonight and probably as good or better than the assos for less cash. Robbie Mcewen is the best stuff I’ve used but Australian market only I think.

My Tickr strap managed to expire today. New ones seem to be like rocking horse poo at the minute. Might have to upgrade to the Tickr2 which seems a bit of a waste. Can you use a third party strap and if so any recommendations as it’s the sort of thing that Amazon will be full of cheap **** copies.

Hehe, quick spi n to wake me up before work then workout proper post work. If they're standard holes I can send you one @Berger got a couple of spares here.

Soldato
The Stages looked like a good head unit and worth reading up DCR as seem to recall som mention about side loading stuff (but I could be wrong). Not really heard of much other than Garmin doing stuff with their Connect IQ or whatever it's called to host other apps on head units. Amazing/annoying nobody has made a head unit that runs Android really as that would be a great way to do it. Just think of all the tech going into smart watches.
The Hammerhead 2 is literally Android :p

Connect iQ is pretty closed really. Hard for any dev to just rock up and write something. Need access to the APIs from Garmin. You have to wonder though what the Hammerhead 2 really offers over a cheap waterproof phone? I'd imagine with a big battery and network off one could last a while. Not sure what app would be useful though. I'm real tempted to give the Hammerhead Karoo 2 a go but it's £360.. still there's a 45 day free trial apparently.

And yes, I'd imagine the Garmin boot issue will solve itself with the SD card changed (no issues with it out) ... but the general temperamental ride/route syncing issues will always be there I think.

Soldato
First thought would be it missing a spacer somewhere when you reassembled (if it's not the bearings being incorrectly seated). Possibly between the bearings in the freehub (assuming cartridge), if there's one there it shouldn't be so tight between the bearings it can't 'wiggle', or one between the inner bearing on the bottom of the freehub and the axle/body (so the freehub is actually 'free'. Another to watch would be the outermost bearing being camped by the endcap so tightly against the outer race it can't turn, probably an indicator it isn't fully recessed in the hub.
All good shouts. I've got the collar in the freehub and it's not too tight it can't wiggle. There is a little axle collar on the DS that the freehub sits onto. I don't think there were any other spacers really but I'll have another fiddle tomorrow probably.

Soldato
All good shouts. I've got the collar in the freehub and it's not too tight it can't wiggle. There is a little axle collar on the DS that the freehub sits onto. I don't think there were any other spacers really but I'll have another fiddle tomorrow probably.

What freehub is it? Pawls or ratchet drive? Or even onyx with the needle bearing cage?

Back
Top Bottom