**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
No I haven't because there's a theoretical risk for serotonin syndrome when taking it with antidepressants. But if this treatment keeps working I won't need anything else hopefully.

Have you asked for a referral to a ketamine clinic?

As far as benzodiazepines are concerned, there's a huge variation between how people respond to them, I was taking them everyday for 18 months because of panic attacks and came off them straight away with no withdrawal. I'm still prescribed them now a couple of times a week and they are lifesaving as they will take me from a severe anxiety state to feeling calm in an hour.

Yeah ok they work great for there intended purpose, I'm an alcoholic (sober) and should have never been given them. I'm not going into details on here so let's just say my daily dose was a lot. And stopping that cold turkey is a no no, that's why I'm also on an anticonvulsant just in case.

Caporegime
Jesus, going through withdrawal for each of those must've been horrendous.

Tbh I've had not many issues in the way of withdrawal, when I had to come off SSRI's I was tapered off over a couple of weeks and experienced mild brain zaps but that was about it. But saying that the drugs didn't seem to have much of an effect in the first place.

Yeah ok they work great for there intended purpose, I'm an alcoholic (sober) and should have never been given them. I'm not going into details on here so let's just say my daily dose was a lot. And stopping that cold turkey is a no no, that's why I'm also on an anticonvulsant just in case.

Yeah, really the dose shouldn't ever be increased from the initial effective dose, and daily dispensing should be done for people with drug problems. One of the problems is that GP's can't issue instalment dispensing, it has to be done through the addiction services which I think is pretty stupid because it means people get weekly or even monthly prescriptions which they quickly use up.

Associate
So I've been steadily buying parts for an working on a new PC for god knows how long now, months? Maybe an entire year I've lost track
It's finally built and "mostly" functional (having some issues with software) and now the fact that a nice shiny new computer isn't going to magically fix my life, along with the sudden lack of anything to look forward to, has hit me hard.
I get paid on the 19th, it's my birthday on the 20th and I have a week off work after that and the thought of those is doing nothing to make me feel better. My mood has pretty much crashed, I feel like I'm going to start crying over anything at any given moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I've been steadily buying parts for an working on a new PC for god knows how long now, months? Maybe an entire year I've lost track
It's finally built and "mostly" functional (having some issues with software) and now the fact that a nice shiny new computer isn't going to magically fix my life, along with the sudden lack of anything to look forward to, has hit me hard.
I get paid on the 19th, it's my birthday on the 20th and I have a week off work after that and the thought of those is doing nothing to make me feel better. My mood has pretty much crashed, I feel like I'm going to start crying over anything at any given moment.

I'm very much at the 'do I really need this in my life' stage. Stuff really is an instant buzz. Waiting for it to come in post. Then, when get it. It basically doesn't matter anymore.

Just found out my mum is about to go away for depression treatment. Really hard. Im not completely sure if this is because my family think she's a danger to herself. Or just the drugs not working.

Worst thing is I know when I was bad nothing anyone could do helped. I had to help myself.

Capodecina
Soldato
Into the fourth week of building work at the flat and I'm exhausted. We've had the cooker top changed, the cooker hood changed, the boiler replaced, the bath replaced, the bathroom floor tiled and I've painted all the doors and skirting boards in the flat. On Sunday we spent 12 hours cleaning the place without a break. All the work is nearly finished now and I feel dead. Yesterday night I slept for about 12 hours and I still feel tired this morning. Hopefully I'll pick up in the next few days but I didn't realise that building work could be so mentally and physically draining, even if you're not the one doing it. I looked terrible last night and I probably do today as well, can't wait to get back to a routine and normality.

Associate
Before I go into any details are we allowed to discuss cannabis on here? Specifically the legal type of you are based in Canada? Don't want to get banned

Soldato
Any follow guided meditation?
Got headspace last year but never used it consistently thinking of giving it a go again.

I personally would try something like insight timer as there's a lot of free content. I find £9 a month for headspace to much personally. YouTube has some good guided meditations too.

Meditation can be great(takes time and patience) but I've always stopped when I'm too depressed. It's taken a while but I can meditate for 30 minutes without anything other than a timer.

Soldato
Can't seem to get life insurance, didn't realize anxiety and depression are on a list of things you can't get insurance for. I was covered but the policy has ended and even my old insurance company said no.

Soldato
Can't seem to get life insurance, didn't realize anxiety and depression are on a list of things you can't get insurance for. I was covered but the policy has ended and even my old insurance company said no.

Is there a basis to the life insurance being declined, i.e. medication you're currently on?

Soldato
Is there a basis to the life insurance being declined, i.e. medication you're currently on?

No, wasn't asked about any medication. Suicidal risk more than anything I think, no point in not being honest when applying for thses things.

Surely most insurance places wouldn't pay out if it was suicide? Which isn't my intention.

Soldato
No, wasn't asked about any medication. Suicidal risk more than anything I think, no point in not being honest when applying for thses things.

Surely most insurance places wouldn't pay out if it was suicide? Which isn't my intention.

I clearly haven't done more than a modicum of research but this site suggests it's illegal for life insurance companies to refuse insurance on the basis of mental health concerns:

https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-...illegal for an,because of your mental illness.

Soldato
I've managed to find an insurance company which are going to insure me but first get doctors reports!!

I dunno what there looking for. I have asthma which I've had all my life, tinnitus, anxiety and depression.

Associate
Associate
I personally would try something like insight timer as there's a lot of free content. I find £9 a month for headspace to much personally. YouTube has some good guided meditations too.

Meditation can be great(takes time and patience) but I've always stopped when I'm too depressed. It's taken a while but I can meditate for 30 minutes without anything other than a timer.
Headspace is currently included in my Spotify subscription at no extra charge.
Has been since last year think it may be coming to an end over next few months.

Just keep getting notifications from headspace that I keep swiping away.
Haven’t opened the app since last year, I’ll give it a go again tomorrow see if I can stick with it

Back
Top Bottom