** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Caporegime
I'm guessing living on mars is a boring full time job, but the pay must be good?
seems like robots should just do everything and humans aren't really needed with modern tech

won't radiation be a huge problem as well?

mars probably doesn't have ore veins like earth ? so they are basically going to have to sift through a ton of dust/rock to get any metals ?

are they sending robots to check out the geology before they pick a spot?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Elon's roadmap is pretty much outlined in the video along with all of those questions answered, just watch that to get a good idea of how it will all pan out

The full population of early Mars colonies will be purely robotic that has the sole purpose of building the 3d printed settlements for human habitation. Martian humans will then slowly increase and be mixed with civilians and science peeps and as Space X StarShip production increases more and more people will start visiting Mars for the 2 year stretches they live there for.

We will live through these stages and what an amazing thing to witness. The first civilians will be millionaires of course as their payments will help fund Martian settlement R&D.

The really interesting part will be the first humans born on Mars, how they cope back here on Earth when they visit, and what sort of classification they have as "Martians" How cool will that be?!

Musk may be a strange kinda guy but he's building the entire backbone of the future of mankind.

Associate
The really interesting part will be the first humans born on Mars, how they cope back here on Earth when they visit

I think they could struggle with the gravity of Earth. That was an aspect covered in the TV series Expanse on Amazon ... likewise the earth/martian/off world social differences. You're right though, it could easily lead to a us/them difference that I doubt would be overcome.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There are systems being thought about to help Martian Humans like exo-suits that would use nano robotics to help Martians cope on earth. This is feasible of course and likely the way it will be done but new questions pop up like what happens when they need to go to the loo?!

In other space related news, was reading his article with interest as it's a topic that's often talked about and finally two models by experts have been drawn up that could in theory work to make use of wormholes. Obviously only one of these slows for the possibility of humans to travel but as always time is relative and you simply cannot loophole around this. Whilst the person travelling through would be able to get from a point in the galaxy to another instantly, the people back on Earth would have to sit through the thousands of years as relative observers. This type of travel would effectively be a one way journey.

Maybe in time this could be the way humans continue existing, once our solar system is nearing its end, hope through and find home elsewhere or send human seedlings and resources through that are looked after by AI and robots during icubation and once ready, slowly grow with the ship carrying a historical record so they know what's been going on. A bit like the recent movie "Mother".

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v14/s28

An interesting point made on reddit too:

It would be possible the group going through end up meeting humans on the other side, that are technically so advanced they found a quicker method of transportation

Soldato
NASA will be attempting to conduct a static fire of their SLS a bit later. Hopefully we get to see, and hear, those 4 RS-25 engines doing their thing for the full 8 minutes this time.

Soldato
SN11 10km test later today.

Won't be able to watch this one live though, my old man was taken into hospital yesterday and it looks like he's in for at least a week or so. So I'm going to try and get up to see him later today, assuming they allow me in of course.

Back
Top Bottom