BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I got the warranty renewal price from BMW for my 84k mile X5 40d.
Fully comp zero excess - £2314
£100 excess - £1699
£250 excess - £1267

Named Component zero excess - £1899
£100 excess - £1408
£250 excess - £1062

All include breakdown. I think I will either take my chances and run it for another year before selling or get a cheaper 3rd party warranty. BMW prices are a joke.
Am I reading this right - £100 excess saves you £614?!

So you'd have to invoke it 6 times before it was a bad decision?

Associate
Nice!

Fingers crossed I might get my M5 back today, lol. Been in garage nearly a month.
They were fitting poly bushes in rear, and the drivers side hub cracked, needless to say had to source one from Germany and it got delayed at port due to Brexit, plus fuel tank issues (only one side filling up) and some issues but I knew getting an M5 would throw some big bills and its lived up to the reputation, looking forward to getting it back should drive nice with fresh bushes and the tank should not empty so fast now either, lol.

Few pics of the new car... I will take better ones the weekend!

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've had my E46 M3 for 5 years now and I keep thinking of selling (natural after 5 years!)

It's essentially in nice condition, I spent a bit refreshing everything and it pretty much costs me nothing to run (the road tax @ £330 is the most expensive thing!) but
- It get's bugger all use (12K miles in 5 years)
- The Mrs struggles to drive it so never borrows it unless she has no choice (a little bit of a heavy clutch)
- Since we have an X3 35d Auto even I tend to jump in that for any quick journeys as it doesn't need 5 miles to warm up ( I religiously warm up the E46 before booting it)

My brother changes his cars more often than his underwear so I constantly get to drive a nice variety of cars (M4 Convertible, Merc E350 Convertible, Audi TTRS Roadster, those kinds of things) and I think if I had something a bit easier to just jump in, didn't necessarily need 5 miles to 'warm up' and had a nice auto box, it might get more use.. cars I've looked at
- BMW 435i Convertible
- BMW 435d XDrive Convertible
- BMW M235i Convertible
- Audi S5 (B8.5) Convertible
etc, all around £15k-£17k

The issue is the E46 is a classic, prices are starting to rise, and I've never owned anything that gets the overwhelming positive reactions from people:
khgHtQkh.jpg BZIY5cFh.jpg
UdiptnEh.jpg
(I've since had the steering wheel retrimmed at Jack Royals, and changed the gear knob for the newer short throw F10 M5 one (still backlit))
deZENaxm.jpg spfSznam.jpg

So I think my choice would be..

A. Plough £2k-£3k at a reasonable respray, tart up any outstanding seals and trim and I've already got quotes to sort out MOT advisories (brake pipes need sorting).. If I wanted to keep it for 5-10 years I'd probably get the rod bearings changed as a precaution and maybe get a Vanos rebuild kit, but again, that would be precautionary.. (Another £1-£1.5k)), and of course tell the Mrs the reason she doesn't like driving it is because it's not a girls car.. :)
Or
B. Sell up (I think with Hardtop I'd get an easy £10k for it), and put £5k-£6k towards something newer, a bit more refined and hope that gets it a bit more use.. I weirdly fancy a 435d xDrive with a 390BHP remap

???

Last edited:
Soldato
Tough choice, similar to the one I had.

E86 Z4MR that was going to start throwing up bills after 5 years of ownership and 0 depreciation, or chop it in for something slightly less special but more daily drivable.

I ended up the in the next generation Z4 35iS. It’s a very fun car but more of a GT than the Z4M, and so much easier to drive as a daily driver with it being auto, having a hard top, and switchable suspension.

The only downside to it is depreciation, where it’s not special I’m losing money on it, and that’s not something I’m used to. I don’t regret the swap, just be prepared for the cost.

I’m 2 years in now, and once I can’t get a bmw warranty on it cheaply I think I’m going to try and get a M4 convertible. What are your thoughts on those seeing as you’ve gotten to drive one?

Soldato
Keep it. Maybe buy something else as a run around if you're worried about using it a lot.

I sold mine, carbon black manual coupe far too soon. Still probably the best all round car I've owned. F type beat it for pure theatre, and current M2c for pace, but the E46 is such a well matched car. Chassis and engine tie together perfectly, decent steering and sublime sounding motor. As you can tell, I'd love another. Maybe a manual converted CSL...

Soldato
Tough choice, similar to the one I had.

E86 Z4MR that was going to start throwing up bills after 5 years of ownership and 0 depreciation, or chop it in for something slightly less special but more daily drivable.

I ended up the in the next generation Z4 35iS. It’s a very fun car but more of a GT than the Z4M, and so much easier to drive as a daily driver with it being auto, having a hard top, and switchable suspension.

The only downside to it is depreciation, where it’s not special I’m losing money on it, and that’s not something I’m used to. I don’t regret the swap, just be prepared for the cost.

I’m 2 years in now, and once I can’t get a bmw warranty on it cheaply I think I’m going to try and get a M4 convertible. What are your thoughts on those seeing as you’ve gotten to drive one?

Thanks, your experience sounds similar to mine!

The M4 convertible is when I first thought that it would be nice to have something a bit more refined as in comfort mode it actually was quite pleasant to cruise. With a remap it was really really quick and the pops/bangs on overrun gave it some theatre, plus it feels like a proper modern BMW (I’d get one with the newer infotainment), however it felt a bit ‘big’ and when trying to push hard it (like all modern stuff) has a veil of remoteness that just dulls the experience. The new Audi TTRS is far worse for this, it’s almost boring...

This is why I thought that a 440i or 435d remapped would be a similar experience but half the price.. it just needs a few visual tweaks and I do like the special looks of the M series, namely the quad exhaust!

I’m 100% with you on the depreciation front, amazingly the e46 is worth more now than I paid for it (although I’ve spent £5.5k in parts alone refreshing it, so overall it’s still cost me a little)

Keep it. Maybe buy something else as a run around if you're worried about using it a lot.

I sold mine, carbon black manual coupe far too soon. Still probably the best all round car I've owned. F type beat it for pure theatre, and current M2c for pace, but the E46 is such a well matched car. Chassis and engine tie together perfectly, decent steering and sublime sounding motor. As you can tell, I'd love another. Maybe a manual converted CSL...

yeah, I rarely hear people saying they hated the E46.. I’m not worried about mileage it handles that well, It’s that I don’t do many miles just because it’s not as accessible as something more modern which you just jump in and drive. That and the Manual transmission is not a slick experience (And the SMG needs a fair bit of TLC if you get that version). I think if I got a 435i for example, not only would I use it for shorter journeys but the Mrs would use it more as well..

Still, it’s a beautiful car and in the right colour for me, hence keeping it 5 years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Demon I’d be inclined to keep it and recoup your investment at least, assuming you have somewhere to store it.

Assuming it’s half decent ,which it seems,the value is only going to go one way and I would imagine pretty significantly for good examples.

Surprised your not taken with the manual, I’ve always found it a lovely’box during my admittedly few drives of an e46 M3.

Soldato
@Demon I’d be inclined to keep it and recoup your investment at least, assuming you have somewhere to store it.

Assuming it’s half decent ,which it seems,the value is only going to go one way and I would imagine pretty significantly for good examples.

Surprised your not taken with the manual, I’ve always found it a lovely’box during my admittedly few drives of an e46 M3.

Thanks!

When I first started looked at E46's I was immediately taken back by the Gearbox and dismissed the first one I saw as being highly worn, however after 3 different cars I realised that's just how they are. Don't get me wrong, if you are very positive, and work with the CDV it's 'fine'.. but honestly compared to even cars like my old Zafira, it's what I'd jokingly class as 'Agricultural'..

Case in point, when I bought mine, 2 months later it got stuck in gear suddenly and I feared a complete failure, so sourced another gearbox (confirmed from the car/serial numbers it had done the stated 59K miles), however when they took the old box off they realised it was just the detent spring had snapped and jammed.. However, since I had a much lower mileage box waiting there, I swapped it anyway (recouped almost the entire cost of it by selling the Bell Housing / Old gearbox separately) and it was exactly the same as before, slightly notchy, 2nd gear syncro needs a good 'positive' shove, especially when cold.
I've improved things somewhat by changing the gearbox oil to an MT/AT Mix and the F10 M5 gearknob (shorter throw), however it's still not as slick as I'd ideally want.

A good point about keeping it.. I sadly don't have anywhere to store it, but could just keep using it, it's just I know I'll do loads of preventative jobs and still spend a few £K since I like perfecting and tinkering..

Soldato
You can get the M240 or 435 in the same colour.

Yep, I've seen a few I like in Estoril.. (I also like mineral grey)

The main thing between the M235/M240 and 435/440 is
- 2 Series definitely is a bit sharper and closer to the feeling of my M3, the 4 series is more refined but definitely dulled a bit.
- 4 Series is a nicer place to sit and has a higher standard kit list, the 2 series just feels a bit 'cheap' inside IMO

It's actually quite hard when you sit in both, they feel quite different..

Caporegime
Thanks!

When I first started looked at E46's I was immediately taken back by the Gearbox and dismissed the first one I saw as being highly worn, however after 3 different cars I realised that's just how they are. Don't get me wrong, if you are very positive, and work with the CDV it's 'fine'.. but honestly compared to even cars like my old Zafira, it's what I'd jokingly class as 'Agricultural'..

Case in point, when I bought mine, 2 months later it got stuck in gear suddenly and I feared a complete failure, so sourced another gearbox (confirmed from the car/serial numbers it had done the stated 59K miles), however when they took the old box off they realised it was just the detent spring had snapped and jammed.. However, since I had a much lower mileage box waiting there, I swapped it anyway (recouped almost the entire cost of it by selling the Bell Housing / Old gearbox separately) and it was exactly the same as before, slightly notchy, 2nd gear syncro needs a good 'positive' shove, especially when cold.
I've improved things somewhat by changing the gearbox oil to an MT/AT Mix and the F10 M5 gearknob (shorter throw), however it's still not as slick as I'd ideally want.

A good point about keeping it.. I sadly don't have anywhere to store it, but could just keep using it, it's just I know I'll do loads of preventative jobs and still spend a few £K since I like perfecting and tinkering..
Fair point re the hateful CDV, something you have to learn to allow for which does spoil the brew somewhat, the change isn’t as “knife through butter” as older BMW’s are IMO.

Shame re lack of storage but ultimately it seems it’s just not practical any more for you and I can understand you wanting something the boss will also drive.

Just don’t look at prices for them a few years from now and you’ll be fine! :D

Soldato
Fair point re the hateful CDV, something you have to learn to allow for which does spoil the brew somewhat, the change isn’t as “knife through butter” as older BMW’s are IMO.

Shame re lack of storage but ultimately it seems it’s just not practical any more for you and I can understand you wanting something the boss will also drive.

Just don’t look at prices for them a few years from now and you’ll be fine! :D

Well phrased!

Barely, one of the reasons I dislike it is that the interior is basically the same as the 2 series.
Similarly spec'd I'd agree, there is little difference, I just found the standard kit and propensity for things like electric seats, pro-nav etc, the M240 for example rarely has many options ticked and so the examples I sit in tend to feel 'poverty spec'.. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up my new (to me) 840i Convertible today.

Its Mineral White, with the black roof, full black merino leather, 20" wheels in PS3 tyres, Premium pack, Comfort Pack, Visibility Pack and Technology pack, so its got pretty much everything on it. The dealer had also fitted the carbon front grill, side "vents" and side skirts to it which really set the colour off.

Bit of a change from the X3M but that had burnt all the goodwill I had with the car...

Soldato
Picked up my new (to me) 840i Convertible today.

Its Mineral White, with the black roof, full black merino leather, 20" wheels in PS3 tyres, Premium pack, Comfort Pack, Visibility Pack and Technology pack, so its got pretty much everything on it. The dealer had also fitted the carbon front grill, side "vents" and side skirts to it which really set the colour off.

Bit of a change from the X3M but that had burnt all the goodwill I had with the car...

Lovely.. I think the 8 series is a tad on the pricey side, but undeniably I do like the looks and the interior!

Back
Top Bottom