Rearview screen

Permabanned
It's around 10 miles each way to work and after 3 years I'm starting to think I'm pushing my luck.

Aside from the occasional disgruntled pedestrian/jogger, I can fortunately cycle most of this way on the rural pathways, but 30% I have to do on the road. That's fine in town, but the country roads are a problem and there's one stretch of road in particular where last week alone I had two vans get way too close. The second one was really close, and I was a bit shocked when I suddenly had a van hurtling past me mere inches away nearly blowing me into the ditch. I also walked one of those days on the verge it was so damn windy.

And I can't really get much closer to the verge, so I don't know if it's just tossers on their phones or just some kind of early morning anti-cyclist ego thing going on. Probably that latter given the speed they're going. The lack of cameras makes it a racetrack to those familiar with it.

The road is also uphill, potholes everywhere and as mentioned the wind is often a battle. Not forgetting a few blind bends, one of which goes under a bridge which I hate going under. Given all that it's more dangerous trying to look over my shoulder than not. But I do think a rearview screen could help better position myself when I see a maniac coming up the road.

Anyone use one?

The road is also uphill, potholes everywhere and as mentioned the wind is often a battle. Not forgetting a few blind bends, one of which goes under a bridge which I hate going under. Given all that it's more dangerous trying to look over my shoulder than not. But I do think a rearview screen could help better position myself when I see a maniac coming up the road.
Is there an alternative route? It sounds pretty dangerous and like a matter of time before you get into a serious accident, even if it is the van driver's fault. Rural roads with potholes and blind corners would put me right off.

Soldato
And I can't really get much closer to the verge, so I don't know if it's just tossers on their phones or just some kind of early morning anti-cyclist ego thing going on. Probably that latter given the speed they're going. The lack of cameras makes it a racetrack to those familiar with it.

It sounds like you might need to ride further away from the edge of the road, not closer to the edge.

A lot of drivers will take a gap that is the width of their car +10mm. If you don’t present that gap to them then they will wait.

If there’s no alternative route I would definitely try being a bit more forceful in your positioning and riding more defensively. Make it so they have to wait until there is actually a good amount of space to pass, rather than squeezing through a tiny gap.

Sounds like you really want a different road though. There’s a road near me I just refuse to ride on as it’s way too busy and everyone drives way too fast and practically touches my arse on the way past. I hate it. And when I drive past cyclists on the same stretch, I can see why motorists drive badly around cyclists on it, they’re totally in the way and it’s just not a good road for it at all.

Permabanned
OP
Is there an alternative route?

A mate of mine mentioned it about a year ago. I didn't think he knew what I was on about so I never checked it out. But I had a look last night and there does appear to be an ill-suited alternative, best I could make out that is.

So I decided to try it on the way home tonight. Not the best start, took a wrong turn into the sewage plant. Cycled on for a bit and wound up overlooking those huge sewage vats. I found it quite terrifying to be honest so out I went.

Onto the right path. Not really suited for a hybrid :)

7UwEUSO.jpg

It's in the wrong direction and like this for a few miles, until there's a few miles of dirt road which lead back near the road I have been using. Pretty decent alternative to being face down in a ditch or squashed by a tractor tyre, so thanks for the reminder.

Do you live in Essex by any chance?

No, not me.

Soldato
Do you live in Essex by any chance?
He said uphill :p

Perhaps the fact you're trying to get close to the kerb is really just inviting people to chance it past in tight gaps? It might take some confidence but I'd try cycling further out in the lane, often called the primary position. This will (mostly) force drivers to wait until there is a suitable gap rather than just squeeze through. A mirror isn't going to help that much besides being able to see impending idiots if you say you're already hugging the kerb.

Here's another left field idea... I've seen a few people using these. https://passpixi.com/

Even if you don't have a camera you'll probably find drivers react to it.

Edit: Doh. Missed @PardonTheWait's post. Essentially had the same advice :)

Soldato
Drivers aren't looking at you. They're looking at the overtake potential.

Sit a metre out from the kerb and then they have to do a proper overtake as they will be obliged to commit to being in the oncoming lane.

Associate
Cycle further out so you've got somewhere to go. If you want advance warning of what's coming up behind have a look at at a Garmin Varia. Considering the cost I'll stick to using my ears.

Soldato
What do you do if something is coming up behind? Squeeze into kerb so they can squeeze past?

This has always been my issue with things like the Garmin Varia. By the time you see you have something behind you, it's too late. You should have been riding away from the kerb on busy roads anyway.

Back
Top Bottom