• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6700XT review thread

Soldato
CB did some CU scaling of RNDA vs RNDA2 vs GCN (represented by Hawaii) all locked to 1GHz to try to do an IPC comparison:
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-03/amd-radeon-rdna2-rdna-gcn-ipc-cu-vergleich/
uyCWNgU.png
As it happens Hawaii and Navi 22 have the same (main) bandwidth
7C62WiU.png
Of course, the three card do not run at the same clock and Navi 10 vs Navi 22 is also 256 bit vs 192 bit.
So not entirely sure what these tests prove but a nice effort anyway.

rdna2 ipc is not lower than rdna1 so that test has some issues

Associate
rdna2 ipc is not lower than rdna1 so that test has some issues
I suspect running them all at a locked 1GHz has issues anyhow.
The Infinity Cache presumably is tied to the clock speed and Navi 22 had less bandwidth without it.
Infinity Cache messes everything up in this kind of test.
Ignoring latencies and any possible wait states, for Hawaii and Navi10 they could have downclocked the memory to provide the same bandwidth, but for Navi 22 that is impossible unless dividers etc. are exposed with some tool which could disable the Infinity Cache.
And there's the age-old question: what is IPC anyway?
To test it, should clocks, memory bandwidth, ROPs, etc. all be equal?
But those are areas where architectural changes are usually made so if the tests change that, what are the testing?

Soldato
I suspect running them all at a locked 1GHz has issues anyhow.
The Infinity Cache presumably is tied to the clock speed and Navi 22 had less bandwidth without it.
Infinity Cache messes everything up in this kind of test.
Ignoring latencies and any possible wait states, for Hawaii and Navi10 they could have downclocked the memory to provide the same bandwidth, but for Navi 22 that is impossible unless dividers etc. are exposed with some tool which could disable the Infinity Cache.
And there's the age-old question: what is IPC anyway?
To test it, should clocks, memory bandwidth, ROPs, etc. all be equal?
But those are areas where architectural changes are usually made so if the tests change that, what are the testing?

For CPU IPC testing, its easy to measure. For GPU's its harder due to a million variable like you mentioned, most likely GPU IPC is actually just estimates calculated using internal engineering software (there is software where you can design your own PCB, input all the engineering values and components on the PCB and your architecture modelling and the software can then estimate a bunch of stuff like TDP, Performance etc and even tell you if your design doesn't work, like putting components in the wrong place)

Associate
This GPU situation must be having a huge detrimental knock on effect on all pc parts being sold especially users just wanting a display output from their shiny Ryzen systems unless they fall back on their old GPU.
Well, some previous shortage showed how shortages of low margin stuff (which usually used to be RAM) can affect the sales of the high margin stuff.
However, I guess that didn't mean that RAM manufacturers were pursuaded to increase volumes and damage their margins so that Intel could have another record year.

Associate
Think i got quite lucky yesterday, and managed to bag one of the Hellhound's from overclockers at £479 yesterday afternoon, which was delivered first thing this morning! Bit more than i would've wanted to have paid, especially for this card. But i've been on the lookout for ages now, so i'll take what i can get as i've been wanting to build a new pc for ages now. Now the fun begins with speccing the rest of my pc - should be a decent upgrade from my old zotac 1070 at least!

Associate
Think i got quite lucky yesterday, and managed to bag one of the Hellhound's from overclockers at £479 yesterday afternoon, which was delivered first thing this morning! Bit more than i would've wanted to have paid, especially for this card. But i've been on the lookout for ages now, so i'll take what i can get as i've been wanting to build a new pc for ages now. Now the fun begins with speccing the rest of my pc - should be a decent upgrade from my old zotac 1070 at least!

Like many, I'm only able to check at certain times of the day between meetings - it's a real luck of the draw.

My requirement is for a USB-C and it looks like I'm really running out of options as they are phasing them out on cards.

Soldato
It's more that AMD are now offering similar performance, with less features and asking for more money than Nvidia (3060Ti). Nice sell AMD, we give you less for more money. Go **** yourselves AMD.

AMD's new slogan, "Making Nvidia look like good value".

Associate
I did until AMD said "hold my pint Nvidia". I am talking about MSRP pricing of course.

I know 8+ people that tried to get a 6700xt from a competitor on launch day at £425 delivered and all got one - including me for a friend.

It seems like if you wanted one, you could get one at or around MSRP on the day.

I don't know many people who managed to get an FE card at MSRP, besides a couple of 3090s.

Associate
The sad truth is that it would be a bad deal if you could buy a 3060ti at msrp... unfortunately there have been basically zero 3060tis sold at or even close to MSRP so it all becomes an argument about what's real and what isn't.

So for me its really great that AMD have actually managed to put out a mid sized fairly power efficient GPU that can go toe to toe with last gens flag ship, first time in almost half a decade that there is genuine performance parity at all levels. And I can't wait for the day when either crypto crashes or something new comes out that makes mining on any current GPU a waste of time, and the market is flooded with GPUs and we can actually buy any graphics card at a reasonable price. But right now the market is so broken that the only factor that matters in picking your next GPU is what you can actually get your hands on :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom