The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

Associate
From what I know AE does feature just better DAC which gives better samplerate & bit depth, but regarding to surround settings lacks the CMSS 3D. Sound quality is not what I expect (however I know it will be great) :) but really want to adjust surround to have my 5.1 speakers working, and not be partially deaf due to mostly stereo content I've got. Hence my question - what is the way to make a surround from stereo here, because I didn't receive card yet, so maybe it's still a time to return :)

Soldato
Just installed my AE-5 after buying it off the MM.

Had the Sound Blaster Omni USB before this and the AE-5 is a fantastic upgrade.

That's not to say the Omni was bad, but damn.

Get my PC38x next week and can't wait to plug them in. Kinda wish I kept my HD599s just to experience them through this card.

Soldato
Just installed my AE-5 after buying it off the MM.

Had the Sound Blaster Omni USB before this and the AE-5 is a fantastic upgrade.

That's not to say the Omni was bad, but damn.

Get my PC38x next week and can't wait to plug them in. Kinda wish I kept my HD599s just to experience them through this card.
Really tempted to upgrade my 12+ year old 595s to some hd6xxs.

Debating whether to get a desk mic (Elgato) or modmic to replace my cheap zalman. Not that I use it much...but they’re shiny!

Soldato
Really tempted to upgrade my 12+ year old 595s to some hd6xxs.

Debating whether to get a desk mic (Elgato) or modmic to replace my cheap zalman. Not that I use it much...but they’re shiny!

The 6XXs are on my wishlist however I just took receipt of the PC38x and paired with the AE-5, I'm a very very happy man.

Associate
Hi all,

First time poster here. I just got my AE-5 Plus installed using the latest driver. It’s connected via line out (L/R) to my ProMedia 2.1 system. The problem I’m having is the volume is just too strong. In Windows I have to drop it down to 20 and even then I still have to turn the speaker volume knob almost all the way down. I also get a loud pop from the speakers when I power off my computer. It’s like the output gain is way too high. Is there a setting for this? Should I be using the headphone jack instead?

Thank you,
Mario

Man of Honour
Hi all,

First time poster here. I just got my AE-5 Plus installed using the latest driver. It’s connected via line out (L/R) to my ProMedia 2.1 system. The problem I’m having is the volume is just too strong. In Windows I have to drop it down to 20 and even then I still have to turn the speaker volume knob almost all the way down. I also get a loud pop from the speakers when I power off my computer. It’s like the output gain is way too high. Is there a setting for this? Should I be using the headphone jack instead?

Thank you,
Mario

Headphone jack has even higher output gain than the line out - there are a few settings in the connect software which allows you to apply effects, etc. to the line-out channel I'm not sure if that has any impact on the output level.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The new software appears to have removed the high/low gain option (unless I just can't find it)... when I'm using headphones I never put the volume higher than 12.

V F

V F

Soldato
The new software appears to have removed the high/low gain option (unless I just can't find it)... when I'm using headphones I never put the volume higher than 12.

12 sounds about right. That was what I normally used maximum on the AKG K702. Sometimes 10.

C64

C64

Soldato
my audios gone on latest windows 10 update nothings fixing it
doh i feel stupid but the windows update resets the soundcards settings to default had to swap it back to headphone out lol

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Anyone know if the LED strip can be plugged directly into A-RGB header on the motherboard? I looks like a 3 pin connection running at 5v, so I think it's good, but want to get reassurance. (MSI x570 Tomahawk mobo)

V F

V F

Soldato
Anyone know if the LED strip can be plugged directly into A-RGB header on the motherboard? I looks like a 3 pin connection running at 5v, so I think it's good, but want to get reassurance. (MSI x570 Tomahawk mobo)

It wouldn't fit on mine. Even with all the converters I had. The pins were the wrong shape.

Soldato
OP
Really enjoyed this card, but over the years I'm listening to music less and less and with the labyrinthitis I got a couple of years ago my ears have never really got back to decent. I can tell the difference to my onboard still, but it's pretty minimal to me.

So I'm just going to get a wireless headset for the light gaming I do, that can also be used for mobile phone calls etc.

Up for sale on MM if any one is interested.

Associate
Had this card for a while now and only just tested out on a film
i get no speech what so ever in the center channel or rears only front left and right
output 3.5mm to phono marantz amp
Tried all outputs on back of card

so chucked in my super cheap usb sound sound card only headphone and mic
perfect same 3.5mm to phono on Marantz left right center rears working very well
tested with a 4k film mp4 film you tube 5.1 test perfect on cheap USB dead on Ae5

Is there some hidding setting in the AE5 that needs to be turned on ???

Associate
Having some issues with this card in Windows 11 - If you switch to direct mode the volume slider in the app and windows itself no longer works and if you then try and turn direct mode off again it fails to detect your card until you reboot your PC. I think the drivers aren't really suitable for windows 11 at the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom