Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My speed issues with virgin have gotten way worse the past couple of weeks or so. I'm getting about 40 mbps at peak times now, I'm on m600

Soldato
My speed issues with virgin have gotten way worse the past couple of weeks or so. I'm getting about 40 mbps at peak times now, I'm on m600

Have you established if that’s an on-network or off network issue by using the on-net speed test server and a few off-network servers? It’s just people have been known to take things like the speed the latest game patch downloads as an accurate representation of speed which tends to be quite flawed (my son plays Fortnight... patch days are bad for him, but it’s nothing to do with our connection), or they use P2P to estimate speed and other than the variability, that tends to trigger VM’s UDP issues, or they’ll test via WiFi or powerline etc. rather than connect direct to the router with a cable.

So my suggestion is a few speedtest’s from on and off-net servers along with a BQM is probably the best starting point to progress this with VM, along with some explanation of your testing process/set-up. At least then you have something to explain the problem in a format that VM (or anyone trying to help you) can understand and get some context from.

Soldato
I’ve done every type of troubleshooting possible on my end. It’s definitely a VM network issue. My BQM actually didn’t really look that bad, maybe a couple of spikes here and there. I’ll set it back up especially since my speeds have got considerably worse

Soldato
I have the Hub 3.0 and the wifi is awful, is there a relatively inexpensive solution for better wifi coverage? Does it literally involve turning it into a modem only then plugging it into a different wireless router? If so would I then unplug my ethernets from the Hub 3.0 and put them in said wifi router? I'm on m350 speed.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
I have the Hub 3.0 and the wifi is awful, is there a relatively inexpensive solution for better wifi coverage? Does it literally involve turning it into a modem only then plugging it into a different wireless router? If so would I then unplug my ethernets from the Hub 3.0 and put them in said wifi router? I'm on m350 speed.

Thanks in advance!

You literally activate modem mode, the hub reboots and you connect the bee router. However if your issue is WiFi coverage, then run a cable to a central point (ideally upstairs) and install an AP, it’ll make the world of difference.

Soldato
Renewed this week and had to get in touch again as I removed movies and added sky sports. Movies was both HD and SD but Sports was only added as SD, another 7 quid a month for what really should be the standard these days. Got 2 months of it credited going forward but still not happy with this nonsense.

Soldato
You literally activate modem mode, the hub reboots and you connect the bee router. However if your issue is WiFi coverage, then run a cable to a central point (ideally upstairs) and install an AP, it’ll make the world of difference.

The challenge is getting cables to a central point. Recently redecorated everywhere and hesitant to have cables running up walls etc. Will have a think!

Soldato
Renewed this week and had to get in touch again as I removed movies and added sky sports. Movies was both HD and SD but Sports was only added as SD, another 7 quid a month for what really should be the standard these days. Got 2 months of it credited going forward but still not happy with this nonsense.

Blame the content provider - they dictate the terms of supply and always have sadly, including the requirement for an additional payment for HD. Admittedly VM do a questionable job of re-encoding feeds and the hardware upscaler in the box isn't the best, which doesn't help the quality, especially on the SD side.

Soldato
Blame the content provider - they dictate the terms of supply and always have sadly, including the requirement for an additional payment for HD. Admittedly VM do a questionable job of re-encoding feeds and the hardware upscaler in the box isn't the best, which doesn't help the quality, especially on the SD side.
I have surround etc setup with ceiling speakers etc and with the SD feed the sound is at best stereo, on HD is it pretty decent in comparison with each speaker firing independently as you'd expect. To me SD shouldn't even be a thing any more if most content is recorded or broadcast via the HD kit.

Soldato
I have surround etc setup with ceiling speakers etc and with the SD feed the sound is at best stereo, on HD is it pretty decent in comparison with each speaker firing independently as you'd expect. To me SD shouldn't even be a thing any more if most content is recorded or broadcast via the HD kit.

You realise you’re talking about media distribution, a business that is historically based on closed markets in order to maximise profit? In simple terms if I produce content, and you want to re-sell it to your customers, you do it on my terms. You ensure it’s only available to markets and in formats that I agree to and in the manner I stipulate. If I haven’t negotiated on demand/online streaming/HD/4K provision to you, don’t offer it, or expect it to be added to an existing agreement till I have told you at renewal how much extra you have to pay, if I say you need to charge a fixed premium for on demand/HD/4K/streaming because that’s how I bill my customers and I won’t allow you to undercut that, you charge it, you don’t get to undercut my pricing. Ever. If you breach my terms, I can withdraw my content, if you don’t agree to my terms by the time our contract expires - even if I refuse to renew on the same terms or make unreasonable changes - I pull my content, and I can and will use my products to troll you with adverts calling on your customers to contact you to bully you into agreeing to my terms.

Until recently, that’s basically how Sky licensed content to 3rd parties. However between regulatory interest and streaming platforms, the approach had to change. Now content providers/platforms can sell directly to end users, distributors have been forced to re-invent themselves as portals for content providers and as the Sky/Netflix partnership showed, it’s better to embrace streaming and use it as a selling point than try and compete with it.

Caporegime
Also time to discuss our options as we're at the end of our contract next month and **** me, the people on the chat are useless.

I wanted to remove the tV bundle as we have Sky, and just go broadband+phone (current offering for new customers is £39.99) and we pay £46 now with the price increase, yet all I get is sorry we can't offer that, you're on the best deal at the minute as the package you currently have is £76 for normal customers but rest assured when a better deal comes along we will be sure to let you know.

**** off. I am over a barrel because BT offer nowhere near the speed of Virgin, they do a max of 46Mbps compared to the 360Mbps we get now.

I hate how useless they are. Stop ******* about and just give me a better deal.

Soldato
Why is it so hard to see their packages? On their site you have to put in your postcode and all your information so they can call you in 10 days?

Every other provider just tells you what you can get? Is this genuinely the only option?

Caporegime
Why is it so hard to see their packages? On their site you have to put in your postcode and all your information so they can call you in 10 days?

Every other provider just tells you what you can get? Is this genuinely the only option?

It's even harder if you are a customer virgin wishing to look at the packages they offer, they completely lock out the store from the navigation of the website! It's impossible to navigate to.

This is what you see when you are on Virgin. Note, I am not even logged in, and there's no cookies either because I have never accessed the sign in options in this browser. They just completely lock you out of that part of the website.
P9lnjzf.png

Soldato
It's even harder if you are a customer virgin wishing to look at the packages they offer, they completely lock out the store from the navigation of the website! It's impossible to navigate to.

This is what you see when you are on Virgin. Note, I am not even logged in, and there's no cookies either because I have never accessed the sign in options in this browser. They just completely lock you out of that part of the website.
P9lnjzf.png
Can you not just connect to your phone hotspot which should then bypass the lockout
Edit no problem for me to see there offers page
cTUcx3H.png

Soldato
Looks like I'm getting a "Virgin Hub 4" delivered next Wednesday for my M350 package, engineer due out in the morning to install the cable, are these any good?

I'm just going to put it in "Modem mode" and connect my Unifi AP x 4 to it really

Back
Top Bottom