What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Best asking here rather than new thread I think.

I have some small shelves in the kitchen that are mounted onto plasterboard. One was removed to repaint, and put back in with existing fixtures. It’s subsequently came off the wall, unsurprisingly.

Ive filled the holes. My question is can I remount in the same place, drilling new holes through the filler for one screw/wall plug, and use the other two, sound, existing plugs?
Or should I give up having a shelf there?

I'm not an expert but I've never or dont trust refill holes due to the layered filler behind the skin. What I mean most good plaster board plugs, as you drill should open its 'claws' to get a drip on the back skin of the plaster board. As you used filler, that back skill will never be flat like it was and therefore your plasterboard plug won't have much to grip on. If you can shift your plug holes 5 cms either direction it might be better.

Soldato
Took a few trunks down to the ground with a mix of chainsaw and axe

IMG-20210321-131446.jpg

IMG-20210321-132835.jpg

IMG-20210321-133822.jpg

IMG-20210321-134819.jpg

Then planted out various bits we've bought

IMG-20210321-150110.jpg

IMG-20210321-150130.jpg

IMG-20210321-152534.jpg

Soldato
Just on tidying up the garden after destroying it when I built the lean to.

How it was as of last week:

YEaMA22.jpg
k2g88eV.jpg

Dug out a flower bed/border and moved the kids climbing frame to the other side. The border is going to be a work in progress as it's rather a bit bigger than I thought... 1m wide by 4m and then 7m along the fence.

7HaB3IH.jpg

Today I've tidied up where the climbing frame was and also added a top soil and sand screed and re seeded.

TgLcNzd.jpg

Really not sure what I'm going to put in the borders so for now I'm just going to keep them tidy and focus on tidying up the lawn.

Next year I plan on levelling the rest of the garden. It's been neglected for 6 years!

Soldato
Just on tidying up the garden after destroying it when I built the lean to.

How it was as of last week:

YEaMA22.jpg
k2g88eV.jpg

Dug out a flower bed/border and moved the kids climbing frame to the other side. The border is going to be a work in progress as it's rather a bit bigger than I thought... 1m wide by 4m and then 7m along the fence.

7HaB3IH.jpg

Today I've tidied up where the climbing frame was and also added a top soil and sand screed and re seeded.

TgLcNzd.jpg

Really not sure what I'm going to put in the borders so for now I'm just going to keep them tidy and focus on tidying up the lawn.

Next year I plan on levelling the rest of the garden. It's been neglected for 6 years!
Looks like you’ve done a top job so far

Soldato
I'm back into work tomorrow so thought I'd best finish tidying up the borders. Just gave them a good rake and got rid of all the clumps of soil and stones.

VI5NBZl.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how the grass seed takes.

Soldato
Took me two hours to do a 30min job - 20yrs ago it would have been 30min.

Scarified the back lawn - this is the second run at it - The scarifier pick up is crap so get mower out after to pick it up.
Just got last bit up and mower stopped -I think it's a lose connection on mower plug or handlebar switch.
Thats a job for tomorrow as I am absolutely knackered.

fpQ589P.jpg

cksSQaJ.jpg

Soldato
Do you recommend buying a scarifier? I think it will trash my lawn (as I expect it to initially) but is it a thing you do regularly? Is it making a big enough difference?

Soldato
Some work in the garden this morning, planted two lavenders (intermedia) to replace some plants that weren't doing well, I also repotted a bay tree into a larger container and bark chips to the malus (sun rival) and flower bed.
Looking forward to seeing how the crab apple tree looks this year, it's supposed to be a nice looking weeping variety.
Lawn work will have to wait until after the fencing work has been completed later in the week, it is in need of some more topsoil and seeding.

Soldato
Do you recommend buying a scarifier? I think it will trash my lawn (as I expect it to initially) but is it a thing you do regularly? Is it making a big enough difference?

I've been searching this a lot lately as I have a large area to do, with moss and mushrooms growing everywhere, like a spongy carpet in some places. I don't think it's ever been scarified and what grass there is is being suffocated or crowded out.

To decide if you need to or will benefit from scarification check to see if you have a lot of thatch built up. Then understand that after scarifying you'll have to seed and add some top soil and fertilizer to help your lawn recover. It's not a quick job as DXP55 will testament to!

Soldato
Scarifying does make a difference if you like to keep a nice looking lawn - I have had one for years and my old one - a small B&D thing with the scarifyer at the back did a good job - The thing is if it digs in you automatically lift the handle - The one I have now is much bigger and rake is at front so when I lifted handle it dug in more.
So the right scarifier is the thing -you need one that is easy to use and does the job without ripping up to much lawn. - Years ago I did a handyman job for someone I knew and looking after his lawn was one of the jobs - I said we need a scarifier and what turned up was a big petrol one - it ripped lawn to pieces but it did grow back really well.

Normally I drop the rake and it really pulls the crap out -today I had it on the highest setting and you can see what it bought out.
That lawn is only 1 yr old -last year was it's first year after I dug the lot up and started again.

If you have a big lawn think petrol or hiring

As the post above says it's not a quick job.

Plastic grass has a lot of benefits.

Thursday I will feed it then hopefully the rain we are forcast on Friday will wash it in.

Next door has nice grass but they use Greenthumb and I am starting to think £15 a month isn't bad.

Associate
vAMNeq9.jpg

I hope this works on mobile otherwise I will post from home later

edit:

4x4 posts, 6x2 lateral beams and corner supports, 4x2 roof timbers, all pine and treated. Roof to be added later. On wheels so i can push it about. The 4 spare bits of 4x2 are just put up there off the floor so they don't go bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom