• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 Voltage Increase - Does it work?

Associate
Hi all,

Recently got a Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 and tried overclocking. All seems well except the voltage control and monitoring. I have tried MSI Aterburner and Gigabyte Aorus Engine. If I set the voltage slider to 0% or 100% it changes nothing. Monitoring the voltage confirms the setting does nothing. The slider also has no effect on overclocking ability.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Should it work?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Same card here, can't increase voltage beyond 1.087v

I tested a bit more and it’s a real strange one. It does have an effect but only on certain conditions. Basically ‘game load’. You won’t notice it idle and you won’t notice it benchmarking or stress testing but under certain conditions it will bump the volts up. Regardless, I found it to be mostly useless. My card hit a clock stability ceiling before adding voltage could help. If anything, I gained a few MHz by turning off the voltage control.

Permabanned
Sir, I am coming from a GTX 580... this is brand new to me :p. Interesting to see how things have changed though.
From what I know, gone are the days of extreme overclocks. In the past, GPU manufacturers were not racing this hard with each other... so they left reasonable headroom in gpus/cpus so that they produce less heat, consume less electric, be more efficient overall etc.

Recent years, it has been a tough battle, it seems like both nvidia and amd are pushing their cards to the limit, and it's especially true with core clocks... So that might explain why we cannot push the voltage much further, because it's probably at a pushed state already... So tough luck .D

Associate
Download GPU-Z and watch the 'Perfcap' entry under sensors - basically you have a power 'budget' that's expended by raising the GPU and memory frequencies. The card will do this automatically and boost based on load, thermals and available power but you can tweak things a bit.

On my 3070 I've undervolted it at 2025 Mhz to 993 mV (uses less power and gives more headroom for memory OC) and set the memory to +1200 MHz.

Oh, you should download MSI Kombustor too - you can launch it from Afterburner and use it to test your settings.

Permabanned
Download GPU-Z and watch the 'Perfcap' entry under sensors - basically you have a power 'budget' that's expended by raising the GPU and memory frequencies. The card will do this automatically and boost based on load, thermals and available power but you can tweak things a bit.

On my 3070 I've undervolted it at 2025 Mhz to 993 mV (uses less power and gives more headroom for memory OC) and set the memory to +1200 MHz.

Oh, you should download MSI Kombustor too - you can launch it from Afterburner and use it to test your settings.

that's a good +135 clock increase at same voltage. is it stable with rtx on as well, did you test it? i heard that sometimes it can be stable and fine with normal rasterization and may become unstable with rtx. wonder if its true

Associate
that's a good +135 clock increase at same voltage. is it stable with rtx on as well, did you test it? i heard that sometimes it can be stable and fine with normal rasterization and may become unstable with rtx. wonder if its true

Yes, I've been playing a lot of Control with all RT features turned on and it's consistently hitting the frequency I set during play. If I push the memory harder I get graphical glitches in Control and if I push the GPU frequency harder then it locks up. My current settings seem to be about as far as I can reliably go :)

Caporegime
As said upping your voltage will often reduce your clocks.

The reason for this is the most common limit on boost clocks is not voltage put power. You can see this happening in afterburner, you'll mostly be power limited under load. Upping voltage increases power usage so you hit the power threshold at a lower clock.

The best way to optimise boost clocks is to max your power limit, then use the voltage frequency curve to bring down the voltage across the clock speed range so you can eek out a little bit more frequency before the power limit kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom