Inexpensive Strong Beer/Lager

Permabanned
Hi

Despite the bad reputation. I used to enjoy the occasional can of Carlsberg Special Brew... Unfortunately it is not quite the same since they reduced the alcohol content. So my question is, where can I find a good replacement of lager/beer that is 8.5% or above without having to resort to pretentious 'barley wine' type craft beers which cost about £5 per bottle on a good day.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi

Despite the bad reputation. I used to enjoy the occasional can of Carlsberg Special Brew... Unfortunately it is not quite the same since they reduced the alcohol content. So my question is, where can I find a good replacement of lager/beer that is 8.5% or above without having to resort to pretentious 'barley wine' type craft beers which cost about £5 per bottle on a good day.

Thanks

Go to your local park, maybe near some benches and ask for the wisdom of the people there.

https://www.specialbrewsmcr.com/sin...ngth-Lagers-We-Found-In-Our-Local-Off-License

Soldato
Brewdog do triple hazy around that at £3 a can.

Generally you want a double ipa for that volume or something Belgian but you’re likely paying a price for it.

Why does it have to be strong? If you just want alcohol go for cider or cheap spirits.

Soldato
Just drink whiskey.

Agreed. That was my point.

There are loads of great tastings beers at all strength levels. Some taste strong. Some don’t (I had a Pomona Manchester Tart Sour at 10% the other week and it was amazing but certainly didn’t hint at being 10%)

Either go for something you like the taste of or go for alcohol volume if you don’t want to pay for something that gives both.

Soldato
You do realise why 'expensive' beer is expensive? Hops are expensive and the process is very labour intensive. Which is why are barely bat an eyelid when I pay £5-10 on a single can of beer.
Strong supermarket beer will be more expensive because of the taxes too, not Sue to the price of ingredients.

Soldato
Loads of the Belgian beers are 7 to 9% and all have great tastes, as above try a kwak, delirium, leffe, duvel, tripel karmeliet are all worth a look. Kwak is my favourite and even better out of one of the unspillable glasses.

Man of Honour
I seem to recall quite enjoying Elvis Juice by (I think?) Brew Dog, which is a pretty hefty 6.5%... certainly strong enough to feel like a potent beer.

Soldato
Sounds like white lightning might be right up your street.

Buy some of the cheapest vodka you can find and add it to the cheapest larger you can find, in a can of course. That will taste lovely and get you pished.

Back
Top Bottom