Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah I'm sure but £60 odd on the ring nut removal tool... I might as well get new wheels.

Slide hammer kit? Is that for pulling internal bearings? I had considered one but wasn't too sure what I'm looking at.

Internal routing does not sound fun. Fortunately only my rear brake cable is internally routed and it's an outer cable all the way through the top tube.

Yeah I don't blame you with the DT tool, it's a total dick move with no practical benefit for the end user.

Mavic do something similar with the ID360 hubs. The bearing is behind the ratchet ring which is held in with an awkward as **** snap ring. Hard to spot on a dirty hub if you don't RTFM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B6E1...abc_ZPC382B0SHZ0Y58C1CP5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bought this as the park tool one was out of stock and also about £200+vat. Already helped remove a stuck outer race from a carbon BB90 shell, quite a few hub bearings and outer bearing races from assioma pedals just yesterday. Handy for stuck races in head tubes too. The puller is useless but the slide hammer and collets are fine.

Soldato
I'm using this one with a TickR sensor pod:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WLMMG7S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_D3NJFGWYQ4J97WYY0M1Z

No problems with it. When I got it, I had it paired to Sufferfest and a Scooshe optical HR paired to my Garmin. Anytime I looked between them, they were either the same or +/- 1 BPM.

Cheers that’s two votes for that one now.

Wahoo gave me a 20% discount so I ordered a tickr2, I felt it was good service plus the new 2 year warranty, but having the original as a backup won’t hurt at all.

I only put a new battery in it at the start of the year so seems silly to waste it.

Soldato
Great 100k today, just went out with no real intended route and just rode in a general direction with no real training aims. Pretty quiet all ride traffic wise until I had a swearing match with a car that couldn't be bothered to wait behind me few miles from home on a ropey surfaced descent. Think me losing my rag came from being pretty blown and hungry by that point but people are idiots.

It just needs to warm up a little bit now as was still damn cold for most of the ride.

Soldato
Maybe I should make a separate thread, but does anyone have any ideas that might help - I like to take my GoPro out with me sometimes, to make video of trips (I specifically have one going to be booked later this year which I would love to document) but I find it such a pain try to get something that bulky in and out of a pocket on my jersey. I'm wondering what I can use on the bike? At one point I wondered about a simple velcro figure 8 loop of some kind. One loop goes around a bar and the other loop I drop the handle (selfie stick I guess) down into and the GoPro would kind of just dangle there. I think this might jiggle about too much though. Am I missing something simple perhaps?

Soldato
Some of the vloggers use mouth mounts :)

There are plenty of bike camera mounts but I guess you want something easily detachable? Maybe consider velcro adhesive on the gopro (or case) itself and then velcro to some mount on bike or what about some sort of strap you wear over your shoulder?

Soldato
Thanks, found his video. Interesting. I guess the same problem still applies, I need somewhere to put it between uses. I like the Pro Mount points out you can hook it onto things, one guy hooking it to his vest top and using it like a chest mount. It's probably not such an issue when it gets warmer and I'm not using big thick gloves, I can probably find my pockets quicker on the back of the jersey...

**EDIT** Going down a small YouTube rabbit hole, I might have found what I was thinking of with this feed bag. It's maybe a bit bigger than I was thinking, but could be ideal. **EDIT2** Ordered this one from Wiggle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you all go to the lengths of waxing your chains? I mean crock-pot and the lot? Do you replace your powerlink every time you remove the chain to clean it too? Sorry for the nub questions, I've only ever really cleaned the chain on the bike with the park tool and used muc off oil/lube. The one time I've used Squirt, I don't think I cleaned the drive train properly and I probably used too much wax. It ended up a claggy mess around my cassette.

Soldato
So I managed to press the bearing in a little further on the DT Swiss wheel using... ahem.. the freehub itself (and a press through it) but then axle turned very rough. Quite hard to even turn well so I guess it didn't go in straight. Decided to just take the bearings out... and I've emailed local guy that serviced my MTB recently (couldn't be bothered myself plus I can't true wheels!).

Just reading technical manual again and I notice it says you can remove the DS bearings without removing ring nut. Interesting!

LFMQm0M.png

Spoiler images show how the bearings looked after I removed.. Left is the original bearing I removed about a year ago. Right is the new bearing (which is now screwed). Not the best quality photo but you can see the scoring from the freehub teeth is quite a bit more noticeable on the new bearing. I half suspect maybe the newer bearing is just slightly deeper than the old :/ Both 6902RS.

2l7UpOe.png

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It just needs to warm up a little bit now as was still damn cold for most of the ride.

Too bloody right, I look out the window Saturday and it was gorgeous... Opened the window to do confirm my suspensions that nature is trying to trick me with the wet finger test and promptly thought **** that and did my trainer road session on the inside :) The brick session I did after killed me though, really need to start fuelling properly even for a 75min ride and a 30min run one bottle and a banana is not enough.

On a side note the TT bike is nearly, but can I buggery set the front chain ring, never used SRAM before and its pain in the **** maybe the Q ring is making it worse, but its going into the shop it if cant crack this week grrrrrr

8ByKwiB.jpg

Soldato
Do you all go to the lengths of waxing your chains? I mean crock-pot and the lot? Do you replace your powerlink every time you remove the chain to clean it too? Sorry for the nub questions, I've only ever really cleaned the chain on the bike with the park tool and used muc off oil/lube. The one time I've used Squirt, I don't think I cleaned the drive train properly and I probably used too much wax. It ended up a claggy mess around my cassette.
Not bothered properly but I had the same experience the time I used Squirt. Perhaps I'll do it for summer bike.

Soldato
Too bloody right, I look out the window Saturday and it was gorgeous... Opened the window to do confirm my suspensions that nature is trying to trick me with the wet finger test and promptly thought **** that and did my trainer road session on the inside :) The brick session I did after killed me though, really need to start fuelling properly even for a 75min ride and a 30min run one bottle and a banana is not enough.

On a side note the TT bike is nearly, but can I buggery set the front chain ring, never used SRAM before and its pain in the **** maybe the Q ring is making it worse, but its going into the shop it if cant crack this week grrrrrr

I notice you have the same saddle on my TT bike, with the same weird bracket thing that you can mount stuff to.

Do you use it? I'm trying to sort out my 'carrying stuff' debacle on my rig this year (for triathlons mainly). At the moment I have a bottle style carrier, but I want to have two drinking bottles (can never have too much fluids on board!), so I need another system. Some sort of saddle bag is where I'm leaning at the moment, but I was curious if you found any solutions with that thing.

Soldato
The metal popper broke off from the strap from sweat/water corrosion. It stayed stuck to the HRM dongle bit.

That's what happened to my TickR - with there not being a hook/loop in the strap, I was unclipping the pod each time I took it on/off. Fair play to Wahoo, they replaced it under warranty as it was less than a year old. I ordered the 3rd party strap from Amazon as the pod was fine (once I'd removed the dead popper with some pliers) and it seemed a shame to bin something that worked. Spare genuine straps were either not in stock or pricey. The cheapy Amazon strap does have a hook/loop, so shouldn't suffer the same fate.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I notice you have the same saddle on my TT bike, with the same weird bracket thing that you can mount stuff to.

Do you use it? I'm trying to sort out my 'carrying stuff' debacle on my rig this year (for triathlons mainly). At the moment I have a bottle style carrier, but I want to have two drinking bottles (can never have too much fluids on board!), so I need another system. Some sort of saddle bag is where I'm leaning at the moment, but I was curious if you found any solutions with that thing.

Two bottles on the back and I picked up a ali express special for a bottle between the bars and a bento box for the top tube for more solid type food. The back bottles are just to fill the front bottle for my Tri events. I am going to look a complete idiot whilst training outside on the thing for sure, not looking forward to getting down on the bars without the smart trainer holding me up :)

Soldato
None round rings plus Sram TT shifters will be a nightmare.

I was using them as they came with the crankset, you had to shift very gently and slowly. And be careful going down or it would drop.

Ive since changed back to Sram round rings with Quarq and it’s much better.

Back
Top Bottom