Nvidia 30X0 series waterblocks

Associate
Interested in seeing temps for others with EK 3090FE block. Installed mine yesterday and according to most of Reddit, temps are not that good. Under load with Furmark, GPU 54deg C, mem junc 70.

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

My card is mining now having been installed for about 3 hours, I had a bad moment with the install when I screwed the back plate on it wasn't going flat so I tried to take the screw out and I didn't notice but the stand off unscrewed, anyway when I thought I had finished the card was bowed and the PCI strip looked like a dogs back leg :(
I was sure I must have borked the card anyways I took it all apart identified the error and reassembled it.
So to the mining using EVGA Precision X1 I have backed the power off to 79% and the GPU temp is bouncing around 42/43 and the mem junction according HWINFO64 is averaging 77.9 with a high of 80 and a low of 74 currently sat at 78, on stock cooler this would have been 108 I would have had to back the power off to 70 to hit 102c.
My i7 6950x is also in the loop overclocked to 4.2GHZ at 1.2v.

Hope this gives you guys something to compare too.

Associate
My card is mining now having been installed for about 3 hours, I had a bad moment with the install when I screwed the back plate on it wasn't going flat so I tried to take the screw out and I didn't notice but the stand off unscrewed, anyway when I thought I had finished the card was bowed and the PCI strip looked like a dogs back leg :(
I was sure I must have borked the card anyways I took it all apart identified the error and reassembled it.
So to the mining using EVGA Precision X1 I have backed the power off to 79% and the GPU temp is bouncing around 42/43 and the mem junction according HWINFO64 is averaging 77.9 with a high of 80 and a low of 74 currently sat at 78, on stock cooler this would have been 108 I would have had to back the power off to 70 to hit 102c.

Those are great memory temps while mining! I was skeptical about how effective the ‘hybrid cooling solution’ on the back would be but this seems to prove it works very well. I can see why EK didn’t initially overcomplicate it by offering an active backplate since it probably isn’t needed. They are offering it now because of demand, not out of necessity I would suggest. Lower temps are always better though right?!

The GPU temps of around 42/43 are similar to stock but without the horrible fan noise so that’s a win in my book!

I bet that was a scary moment when the PCB was bent! Glad it was easy enough to sort out and everything still works. Mine comes tomorrow and I have booked Thursday off work to do the install, I’ll keep in mind what happened to you.

Have you been able to OC the memory and hit 120 Mh?

So far I have not been able to hit 120 Mh because it thermal throttles.

Associate

I have a Inno3d 3080 Frostbite (has the Alphacool waterblock) When i first got the card i was getting temps of 45 degrees loaded and 80-90 memory junction temps. 3 months later and these were creeping up to 55 degrees on the core and 100 on the memory so I stripped down the card and replaced the pads and put liquid metal on the core. results were 39-40 degrees loaded on the core and 55 degrees memory junction (card boosting to 2100mhz and +500 on the memory). My conclusion is that the thermal pads that are used are junk and degrade quickly over time and one wasn't even present (according to the Alphacool manual for the block).

Associate
Those are great memory temps while mining! I was skeptical about how effective the ‘hybrid cooling solution’ on the back would be but this seems to prove it works very well. I can see why EK didn’t initially overcomplicate it by offering an active backplate since it probably isn’t needed. They are offering it now because of demand, not out of necessity I would suggest. Lower temps are always better though right?!

The GPU temps of around 42/43 are similar to stock but without the horrible fan noise so that’s a win in my book!

I bet that was a scary moment when the PCB was bent! Glad it was easy enough to sort out and everything still works. Mine comes tomorrow and I have booked Thursday off work to do the install, I’ll keep in mind what happened to you.

Have you been able to OC the memory and hit 120 Mh?

So far I have not been able to hit 120 Mh because it thermal throttles.

Ive not really tried to hit 120mh but it seems to get to 115mh easily enough with an overclock on the mem and gpu power at 76% junction temps looked to be settling at around 82c
The loop still needs to settle as its gurgling still.

Soldato
Got a new backplate today that is flawless so at some point need to install and connect up the external 140mm rad I added just for Ampere, cross some fingers and hope it all works ok!

Soldato
heaven.png

Nice improvement running heaven on a loop.

On air with the same OC I was gettng 58 Core and VRAM in the high 80s.

Associate
@Sc00p007 looks like 4 leds

Thanks,

Mine looks to only have 3. One either side of the top terminal, and one just inside the bottom terminal. Stood out to me as its not symmetrical. Wierd thing is that I can't see a 4th led, so it's not that it isn't working, it's just not there.
I'm thinking if others have 4, then maybe my rgb strip isn't in the correct position and the 4th is hidden (that would also explain the symmetry).

Soldato
Thanks,

Mine looks to only have 3. One either side of the top terminal, and one just inside the bottom terminal. Stood out to me as its not symmetrical. Wierd thing is that I can't see a 4th led, so it's not that it isn't working, it's just not there.
I'm thinking if others have 4, then maybe my rgb strip isn't in the correct position and the 4th is hidden (that would also explain the symmetry).

edit: I've got 4 showing but one is partially hidden behind the acylic/nickel. Not symmetric on mine either.

IMG-2899-LI.jpg

IMG-2898.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Finally had my EK blocks delivered! The final finish of the silver in particular in the flesh is gorgeous. I have one GPU stripped to the PCB (very straightforward process) that I plan to fit to the water block tonight. I have Thursday booked off to do the other GPU when PC is not being used. In reality, I could probably do it in an evening but I don’t want it to be a rush and with aspirations of a dual vertical NVLINK GPU setup + chipset, things may not go as smoothly as I hope! I’m looking forward to the process though.

Associate
Finally had my EK blocks delivered! The final finish of the silver in particular in the flesh is gorgeous. I have one GPU stripped to the PCB (very straightforward process) that I plan to fit to the water block tonight. I have Thursday booked off to do the other GPU when PC is not being used. In reality, I could probably do it in an evening but I don’t want it to be a rush and with aspirations of a dual vertical NVLINK GPU setup + chipset, things may not go as smoothly as I hope! I’m looking forward to the process though.
Nice one. I rushed, had the pc running and then realised that I had connected the tubes to the cpu block in the wrong order. Had to rebuild last night haha

Associate
I can also confirm what others have noted, on mine one of the LEDs (the PCIE slot end) is partially covered and the LED at the opposite end is as close to the edge of the opening as possible. Removing the terminal gives easy access to the strip but it doesn’t move (at least mine doesn’t).

It’s such a shame after waiting soo long that it isn’t perfect. On taking the block out of the box, a screw fell out from under the back plate cover. After removing the backplate, I was able to find where it came from (the main block!) and replaced it. I went round all of them to check they were tight before placing the PCB on (several were loose). Instructions don’t state to check this but clearly they were not right from the factory.

Install was methodical enough though and the slowest part was cutting and placing thermal pads. Also for anyone else planning to use NVLINK, it looks like this cover needs to be removed prior to installing the PCB.

Associate
On taking the block out of the box, a screw fell out from under the back plate cover. After removing the backplate, I was able to find where it came from (the main block!) and replaced it. I went round all of them to check they were tight before placing the PCB on (several were loose). Instructions don’t state to check this but clearly they were not right from the factory.
Install was methodical enough though and the slowest part was cutting and placing thermal pads. Also for anyone else planning to use NVLINK, it looks like this cover needs to be removed prior to installing the PCB.

I guess this was the issue I encountered, although the screw / standoff didn't fall out I had unscrewed it making it stand higher then it should have so as when I put it all together my PCI connecter resembled a dogs back leg!
Scary stuff but all is well that ended well!
I cant comment on the LED bit as I don't have an RGB header on my mobo so it hasn't been plugged in.

Associate
I am using the end terminal with the side i/o. I see others are using the terminal with the end i/o and am thinking we will have different angles to look through the acrylic without obstruction from fitting and threads and the angles I have make it hard to notice the bottom led.

I see the 3080 block has 3 led, perfectly spaced. Could it be that they have reused those strips for the 3090 block which means the spacing cant be symmetric.

Tbh, its not a big deal to me. If this is how all the blocks are, that's great. I just made an issue of it when I thought I was missing an led, only to find it is hidden away in the corner.

I'm hoping/thinking that they are all the same and I just started the issue by the already partially hidden led being harder to see with the terminal I am using.

Soldato
Gawd not had a block be such a pain to swap. Led hook came so pretty sure stock cooler will have no LEDs now. stock cooler thermal pads a right pain. One screw on the bottom portion of backplate was so tightly stuck in from factory, screw stripped. Thankfully tiny gap opened allowed me to saw the screw out :o

Associate
For what it's worth:

Fans at 1100rpm 2x360 + 240 rad shared with 5950x.
Gaming at 120hz 4k so the gpu is basically pegged at 100%
2hr assassin's creed origins.

100% stock setting
Gpu 44
Boost settles at 1950-1965
Gpu memory Junction max 56

I'll have a play with some synthetics tonight and report back some stock and oc temps.

My last couple of cards have had loud coil whine, which didn't get better with a block installation. So I pretty much forgot that cards can be quieter. My 3090FE was loud too. Well, this time I got lucky and the block installation has reduced the whine greatly :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom