New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
I just cancelled my order with DELL as the deivery date was 20th April and I'm impatient. I've gotten Currys to price match @ £339, which is a bonus as I have a £20 currys gift card and got an extra 6% off making the total £325 and being delivered tomorrow!

How'd you get the 6%?

Soldato
Is it just with gsync?

I do have G-Sync enabled, I recall it was doing it with it turned off I'm sure, will have to test it again later.

If its what seems like light flickering it might be auto contrast features, my monitor has 2 of such features, I turned one of them off to solve it.

On the LG its called DFC. Also smart energy saving I disabled which is a luminance compensation algorithm.

Everyone is set to standard, Freesync premium Pro is on in settings, response time is set to "extreme"

Soldato
It's a nice monitor but I can't call it amazing personally, I don't find any monitors amazing, when compared to my OLED TV, or even my entry level Samsung MU6400 TV all seemed to be much better, this Dell does have better colour than the samsung though.

Probably is an amazing monitor for the price though

Associate
It's a nice monitor but I can't call it amazing personally, I don't find any monitors amazing, when compared to my OLED TV, or even my entry level Samsung MU6400 TV all seemed to be much better, this Dell does have better colour than the samsung though.

Probably is an amazing monitor for the price though

Yes, that's what I meant. Certainly a massively better than the Element Gaming 27" Monitor TN panel I had.

Soldato
Just a thought, but I think it's only gsync compatible, not gcync certified.
Think it's just the freesync that's certified... Dunno if that makes a difference.

I thought nvidia cards could run in freesync mode these days? But I might be wrong.

Soldato
A 3080 shouldn't have any issues.

Personally I don't use Gsync as all the games I play always run at 150+ fps. I thought Gsync is only useful if your dipping below 60fps - Freesync is 48hz-165hz on this monitor.

Adaptive sync tech is useful whenever framerate is mismatched from monitor refresh rate so its not a 60hz only thing. So you could e.g. have a 120hz refresh and the game if it cannot do steady 120fps or any multiple that fits within 120 such as 30 or 60 you have a choice of either stutter or tearing, although apparently tearing is less severe at higher framerates.

Soldato
Sorry, yes I know what it actually does, what I meant was the tearing is apparently worse below 60hz. My point if you have a 3080 and you need to use gsync at 1440p, what on earth are you playing :D

Many games have frame pacing issues, JRPG PC ports are notorious for this as an example.
Tales of vesperia as an example has a stutter issue that only kicks in, in the following scenario, 60hz, no adaptive sync. Using either 120hz (even with 60fps cap) or adaptive sync fixes it.
I am using it on fable anniversary at 1440p, the game uses barely any gpu utilisation at all but is 59-61fps instead of flat 60 and stutters without gsync.

The only games I observe that seem really well optimised tend to be multiplayer shooters. Probably because they typically natively developed on PC and smooth performance is a requirement for the gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom