Where are the 1000W PSUS? In fact PSUs in general right now

Soldato
Ya I went from 80plus to 80gold so it is a bit step up. My old PSU was a 15yr old design when I bought it probably 7-8yrs ago it was considered impeccable. Johnny Guru rated highly in his review. Enermax Infiniti 720

but clearly the PSU tech has gotten a lot better. Supposedly the phanteks peak efficiency is 92% at 50% or 60% which is pretty cool but it should be base line 90% (which correlates to my power usage with the 80+ psu).

I just really like the fact that it has a fanless mode which is nice.

Soldato
Kinda want a seasonic or another evga psu as my current P2 1000w evga psu has a loud fan (known for it)... Need something abit quieter even in hybrid mode, its not as noticeable but i need something more silent!

Shame theres no stock anywhere... like zero, nada!
I think HX1000 are in stock atm.

Associate
I think HX1000 are in stock atm.

Ordered one last night and it got delivered this morning. Since having my 6800xt I have experienced a few crashes only when gaming, I think it's pushing my old corsair 850w to the limit. Which must be the best part of 10 years old now.

Just worked out it's 13 years old, as I purchased it to power a 3870x2...wow

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered one last night and it got delivered this morning. Since having my 6800xt I have experienced a few crashes only when gaming, I think it's pushing my old corsair 850w to the limit. Which must be the best part of 10 years old now.

Just worked out it's 13 years old, as I purchased it to power a 3870x2...wow

I have a Seasonic X Series 850w, which is now approaching 9 yrs of age, and I too have noticed random crashes with a 6800XT and a 3700x. It has always been solid as a rock.

I am not currently overclocking anything, and I do not have a lot of stuff running off the PSU (I am down to 2 SSD's and 1x HDD), but I am wondering if the PSU may be the cause. I'd be interested to hear if the new PSU stabilizes your system or not, before I take the plunge on a new PSU.

Associate
I have a Seasonic X Series 850w, which is now approaching 9 yrs of age, and I too have noticed random crashes with a 6800XT and a 3700x. It has always been solid as a rock.

I am not currently overclocking anything, and I do not have a lot of stuff running off the PSU (I am down to 2 SSD's and 1x HDD), but I am wondering if the PSU may be the cause. I'd be interested to hear if the new PSU stabilizes your system or not, before I take the plunge on a new PSU.

Yes I will post here once I have installed the new PSU, though it maybe the weekend when I get round to doing that.

I built my daughter a PC for Christmas using a Seasonic focus PSU, great PSU and I was looking to get one for my self. But I could not find them any where and when the Corsair came up, I thought i'd better get that.

Associate
Yes I will post here once I have installed the new PSU, though it maybe the weekend when I get round to doing that.

I built my daughter a PC for Christmas using a Seasonic focus PSU, great PSU and I was looking to get one for my self. But I could not find them any where and when the Corsair came up, I thought i'd better get that.

I managed to find a be quiet! 1000W Platinum in stock in my rounds, for just over 200 squid, so picked that up. As stock is so erratic at the moment, I figured I'd take the plunge before other beat me to it. Hopefully the greater efficiency will make a difference from the Gold + PSU I am on at the moment.

Associate
I managed to find a be quiet! 1000W Platinum in stock in my rounds, for just over 200 squid, so picked that up. As stock is so erratic at the moment, I figured I'd take the plunge before other beat me to it. Hopefully the greater efficiency will make a difference from the Gold + PSU I am on at the moment.

I think I may have seen this same PSU earlier and decided against it as I knew nothing about Be Quiet as a PSU manufacturer.

I didn't realise there was a shortage of decent sized PSUs as well :o

Associate
I think I may have seen this same PSU earlier and decided against it as I knew nothing about Be Quiet as a PSU manufacturer.

I didn't realise there was a shortage of decent sized PSUs as well :o

All the reviews of Be Quiet! PSU's seem very positive. I would have preferred to stick with Seasonic, but they are no-where to be found. The only issue with the Be quiet unit is that the warranty is not as long as other suppliers, so on the "straight power" unit which I have ordered, it is only 5 years. You have to go for their top tier "dark power" units to get the "normal" 10 year warranty, that seasonic offer pretty much across the board, AFAIK.

However, while I appreciate the importance of a good quality PSU in supplying your machine with reliable, clean power and protecting it at the same time, I find it hard to justify spending north of £400 on a PSU, which is what certain high wattage "dark power" units go for.

At least it should be quiet! (pun intended)

Associate
Yeah, I've no doubt it'll be a good unit.

I regret not buying it when I saw it was in stock now, I certainly would have if I knew it was so hard to get one right now.

Soldato
Be quiet PSU is quite highly rated but depend on which model it is. Some models has poorer ripple suppression or transients compared with seasonic and corsair units.

pretty sure still solid ones. they are apparantly very very quiet even when the fans are on

Permabanned
I had to buy one much more expensive than I had planned, because it happened to be in stock. Glad I did now, it seems to be just getting worse.

Associate
I'd be interested to hear if the new PSU stabilizes your system or not, before I take the plunge on a new PSU.

Well I have given the psu a good test this weekend and no crashes, played Cyber punk, il2 sturmovik in VR and even some L4D2 and no crashes.

One question I have, I am only using 1 pcie cable to power the 6800xt as it has 2 pcie connectors on it. Think this should be OK?

Associate
Well I have given the psu a good test this weekend and no crashes, played Cyber punk, il2 sturmovik in VR and even some L4D2 and no crashes.

One question I have, I am only using 1 pcie cable to power the 6800xt as it has 2 pcie connectors on it. Think this should be OK?

Thanks for letting me know. I may have jumped the gun a bit and picked up a Be Quiet! 1000W supply on Saturday and rebuilt my entire PC over the weekend. Mine has also been stable since, with no odd crashes or strange behaviour. I guess the ol' Seasonic was getting a bit tired in the end.

But yes, you should use 2 separate cables for the GFX card. My 6800XT pulls about 250W on full chat, and its probably not wise to have that much juice passing through 1 PCIE cable.

Associate
I got the 1200w version installed a few days ago. Works like a charm. Much more stable voltages and I lowered my vcore by 0.05mv. Cables are thick and the warranty is good

Back
Top Bottom