Dodgy Kingston SSD???

Associate
I recently had a glitch (senior moment) when I switched off at the wall before the PC had shut down properly. The following day it wouldn't boot up normally, and took about an hour before Windows loaded up after going into automatic repair. But all good now.
A few days after this event, I tried to play one of my Steam games, but Steam wouldn't load. Checked the my secondary (F) drive, said Kingston 2Tb SSD where Steam is located, plus my three games, and 10gig of MP3 music. None was available, clicking on them did nothing! Tried to format the drive, but it failed to execute. After doing other things, short time later I checked "This PC" and F drive had completely disappeared.
Today, a week later, F drive has re-appeared on "This PC", and it allowed me to format it.
I've just run Crystal Discmark7 and have the following results;-
..........Read....................Write
Now I don't profess to understand any of that, so the bottom line is this, is this drive ok?

If you read this, many thanks.

Soldato
Cutting power during drive activity can seriously mess up SSDs.
In HDDs it simply breaks file under write, but in SSDs there's even risk of drive's control data getting messed up doing worse than plain loss of files.

Associate
Cutting power during drive activity can seriously mess up SSDs.
In HDDs it simply breaks file under write, but in SSDs there's even risk of drive's control data getting messed up doing worse than plain loss of files.

Thats pretty scary and something i hadnt thought of only got my first ssd 6 months ago

Associate
OP
A quick update on this. About a month ago, PC started booting up very slowly, about 2 minutes plus, (was about 10seconds), and shut down was taking about 4 minutes (was about 20seconds). I tried to use "Diagnostic Start Up" but all that did was lock me out of the 'puter and wouldn't accept my password:mad:
Finally I bit the bullet and put it into my local PC repair shop, and he managed to unlock it without doing a fresh install, so I lost nothing. He also diagnosed the slow boot up/shutdown issue to said Kingston SSD. He disconnected it and the PC is now back to it's original performance.
So here I am, looking at an 18 month old Kingston SSD wondering the best way of venting my spleen on it. I shoot archery, and was wondering how it would fare getting hit by an arrow doing 200mph:cry:

Associate
OP
Thanks for that @tamzzy, here you go. Not as much damage as I thought there would be. Shot from 20 yards with a pair of old aluminium carbon composite arrows, they're for the bin along with the SSD.
0CUrgVO.jpg
62wiRot.jpg
tnRxXG2.jpg
L78XeXt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom