• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone with 3090 FE's? How bad is your coil whine?

Associate
5 day old 3090 FE: this is how it sounds overclocked (frame limited to 160fps) @ 1440p..it's pretty bad: https://imgur.com/a/0CIwMdO

Undervolting does help mute out the sound so that it's inaudible when playing with HEADPHONES. I had two separate 3080's before this which were inaudible when undervolted with both speakers & headphones. The pitch is incredibly annoying.

Anyone else with 3090's have this problem?

Associate
OP

Wow, my card sounds exactly like that.

I wanted to confirm it wasn't my PSU so I tried two separate 3080's (VEntus 3080 and AOrus Master 3080) and both were either inaudible at similar power draw or like 10-20% of the volume.

AC Valhalla is the absolute worst. I even tried capping the FPS down to 30 so that the power draw was like 150W on the card and I STILL heard whining. There is no way it's my PSU at that point right?

I have a nice RMX850 from corsair...

Soldato
Wow, my card sounds exactly like that.

I wanted to confirm it wasn't my PSU so I tried two separate 3080's (VEntus 3080 and AOrus Master 3080) and both were either inaudible at similar power draw or like 10-20% of the volume.

AC Valhalla is the absolute worst. I even tried capping the FPS down to 30 so that the power draw was like 150W on the card and I STILL heard whining. There is no way it's my PSU at that point right?

I have a nice RMX850 from corsair...

Well if it's like the one Retro89 has then that's pretty normal, but if like the kingpin link then that's bad. So as I stated to Retro89 better keep it than RMA it as you may get one that's really bad, that's not bad for an FE. We had nightmare ones at work.

Associate
OP
Well if it's like the one Retro89 has then that's pretty normal, but if like the kingpin link then that's bad. So as I stated to Retro89 better keep it than RMA it as you may get one that's really bad, that's not bad for an FE. We had nightmare ones at work.
Yeah, it's the one like Retro..I listened to that kingpin man and wtf is that? You would think on 2k+ cards they would do a better job..wtf EVGA.

The only thing keeping me from RMAing it is crazy good silicon. Here are my undervolt profiles:

1905 @ 843
1965 @ 887
2010 @ 931

I had two 3080's that COuldn't even do 1920 @ 900 lol.

Do you think it MIGHT be my PSU even though the other 2 3080's are inaudible? The fact that it still whines in AC Valhalla at like 150W power draw at 30fps tells me it HAS to be the GPU right?

Soldato
Yeah, it's the one like Retro..I listened to that kingpin man and wtf is that? You would think on 2k+ cards they would do a better job..wtf EVGA.

The only thing keeping me from RMAing it is crazy good silicon. Here are my undervolt profiles:

1905 @ 843
1965 @ 887
2010 @ 931

I had two 3080's that COuldn't even do 1920 @ 900 lol.

Do you think it MIGHT be my PSU even though the other 2 3080's are inaudible? The fact that it still whines in AC Valhalla at like 150W power draw at 30fps tells me it HAS to be the GPU right?

They all whine to a point the 3090 FE cards, the whine you have is normal when under stress, it's when it sounds really loud and screaches high pitch. Yours is doing the typical cricket sound which is normal.

Anyone telling you their 3090 FE does not whine needs to check their ears, we had over 28+ of them at work in pairs with Nvlink/SLI and they all whined when under normal stress and the ones we sent back whined so bad they could be heard other side of the office and we were told it's normal but we got them changed and some came back worse and we just got them replaced with AIB blower types and other AIB cards for the ones that did it bad and the rest we ebayed because we tried to hot glue the inductors (the coils) to stop the whine and some got better others made no difference.

Don't RMA yours or you will end up with one worse, yours we would have kept.

The KingPin is a bad joke from EVGA, a lot of people are having that issue with their cards this time round and all the strange failures they keep having. Check the EVGA forums.. every other thread is a dead card or some other problems.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Maybe they whine more when using NVlink?

Doesn't make sense but I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t whine at all, though it did briefly when new at ridiculous frame rates.

Nothing wrong with my ears. :p

Back
Top Bottom