Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Associate
That's awful. Did you get a written statement from the surgeon? Specifically tell the GP that you've been privately diagnosed with a degenerative cornea disease which requires long-term monitoring and care, and need to be referred to an ophthalmologist.

If calling didn't work, just book an appointment and discuss in person.

No I didn't; was only in the room with him for 5 minutes before he had to go for the his next operation; I guess I was trying to understand what had happened and didn't think to ask for a written statement.

I called another Specsavers and explained; they said they'll book me for an eye test appointment. I'll take my scans with me and tell them exactly what the doctor said.

I believe high street chains can also do the referral?

That's what my GP said, so will find out tomorrow when I go to my appointment.

A bit worried about potentially going blind in future (although it is rare). Read a few papers on this, and no-one knows where it comes from or how to prevent it; only thing that makes it worse is stressing the cornea (so I should stop rubbing my eyes, and I guess that is why they didn't go ahead with the surgery as it would strain the cornea).

Sgarrista
Commissario
A bit worried about potentially going blind in future (although it is rare). Read a few papers on this, and no-one knows where it comes from or how to prevent it; only thing that makes it worse is stressing the cornea (so I should stop rubbing my eyes, and I guess that is why they didn't go ahead with the surgery as it would strain the cornea).

Remember they are not proceeding on an abundance of caution, not because you are going to go blind in the future, if at all.

Obviously its worth having it investigated but try not to stress.

Associate
Remember they are not proceeding on an abundance of caution, not because you are going to go blind in the future, if at all.

Obviously its worth having it investigated but try not to stress.

I understand; No point being stressed about something I cannot control or influence or that I'm doing my best to handle. The doctor did say it is extremely rare to develop the disease and even then even rarer to go blind. Plus it's only my right eye, so absolute worst case is I'll have one functioning eye.

Will update once I get back from my appointment tomorrow.

Soldato
I understand; No point being stressed about something I cannot control or influence or that I'm doing my best to handle. The doctor did say it is extremely rare to develop the disease and even then even rarer to go blind. Plus it's only my right eye, so absolute worst case is I'll have one functioning eye.

Will update once I get back from my appointment tomorrow.

Good luck man, hopefully yours is a mild case and you won't have any issues.

Soldato
11 years since having laser eye surgery I'm having to go back to glasses, but just for reading and vdu work. They told me before the procedure that I'll need reading glasses in my 40s, I got the eye surgery done when I was 33 and short sighted and it gave me better than 20/20 vision for over 10 years so I'm happy. I still have excellent long distance vision so the laser correction is still doing its job really.

Soldato
Cant have laser eye treatment here unfortunally, they can technically do it but it would leave both my eyes in a very vulnerable state due to how thin my corneas are.
I've tried soft and GP lenses with no luck from 3 high street opticians about 14 pairs in total, eventually got referred to the eye infirmary and the first GP lenses they fitted was "almost" spot on, going back on Tuesday for the 2nd fit which they are confident after LOTS of testing that its going to be as close as they will get it.
I did request scleral lenses but they are not willing to fit them as I dont have an eye condition that requires them so hopefully this GP pair will be good.

Associate
Went to the opticians today and took my scans with me. It's not something they refer people to opthalmologists unless it's rapidly progressing.

I've been told to do the following:
-lubricate my eyes 3 times a day
-avoid rubbing my eyes
-take omega3 supplements/eat oily fish/green veg etc

Put my mind at ease overall by saying that even if it does rapidly progress, it's something they can deal with. Unfortunately the surgery I can have to stop it in its tracks (again only recommended if it's rapidly progressing) is something not offered by the NHS in Wales (corneal cross linking), but can have it done privately.

Will re-visit Optical Express in a year's time to re-do my scans and see how my eyes are progressing, and if I can go ahead with the laser surgery.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Went to the opticians today and took my scans with me. It's not something they refer people to opthalmologists unless it's rapidly progressing.

-avoid rubbing my eyes

Put my mind at ease overall by saying that even if it does rapidly progress, it's something they can deal with. Unfortunately the surgery I can have to stop it in its tracks (again only recommended if it's rapidly progressing) is something not offered by the NHS in Wales (corneal cross linking), but can have it done privately.

Will re-visit Optical Express in a year's time to re-do my scans and see how my eyes are progressing, and if I can go ahead with the laser surgery.

Great news!

Associate
Well it’s been awhile since I posted in this thread, the update is :

I went to optical express and they wanted £4,800 for the treatment.

I then went to accuvision and they quoted £3,000.

both lasik.

so Iv gone with accuvision, all booked in to have the surgery on Saturday the 10th April , slightly nervous what to expect but have been told the procedure is relatively painless and all I’m expecting is minor discomfort.

Sgarrista
Commissario
so Iv gone with accuvision, all booked in to have the surgery on Saturday the 10th April , slightly nervous what to expect but have been told the procedure is relatively painless and all I’m expecting is minor discomfort.

Yup, you'll be in and out before you realize and then be wondering what you were nervous about :)

Soldato

-avoid rubbing my eyes

I've had cross-linking done twice on my left eye after I developed some complications as a result of having LASEK. Not particularly enjoyable, but not excruciating either... its actually rather dull. Since the process my cornea has managed to retain its shape and has actually improved some since the pre-surgery position. My eyesight in my left eye still isn't worth a ****, I'm still debating the risks of further corrective surgery, thinking I'll go ahead (but not with Optical Express, they can go **** themselves) depending on how my bonus looks this year.

So if you do need to have cross-linking, I can report that it wasn't all that bad, nothing to sweat about.

Associate
I've had cross-linking done twice on my left eye after I developed some complications as a result of having LASEK. Not particularly enjoyable, but not excruciating either... its actually rather dull. Since the process my cornea has managed to retain its shape and has actually improved some since the pre-surgery position. My eyesight in my left eye still isn't worth a ****, I'm still debating the risks of further corrective surgery, thinking I'll go ahead (but not with Optical Express, they can go **** themselves) depending on how my bonus looks this year.

So if you do need to have cross-linking, I can report that it wasn't all that bad, nothing to sweat about.

Thank you for the information. When I called OE for my refund they asked me if I wanted to go ahead with surgery instead. I told them that their surgeon (and someone from head office) suggested I don't have the surgery only to be told 'we can send your case to our medical team to review again and if you really want it you can have it done". I told them no thank you refund will do. I mean, that put me off even more, the willingness to accept such a big risk to my eyesight just to get a few more grand.

Soldato
Thank you for the information. When I called OE for my refund they asked me if I wanted to go ahead with surgery instead. I told them that their surgeon (and someone from head office) suggested I don't have the surgery only to be told 'we can send your case to our medical team to review again and if you really want it you can have it done". I told them no thank you refund will do. I mean, that put me off even more, the willingness to accept such a big risk to my eyesight just to get a few more grand.

I have my own horror story about Optical Express earlier in this thread - I'd avoid them and if you do decide to have it done go with somebody with LVC who have a far better reputation.

My issue with Optical Express isn't the complications I suffered, **** happens, but its the fact that their aftercare process failed me at the final hurdle.

Sgarrista
Commissario

I would suggest once youve had your monitoring splashing the extra and going to LVC.

Associate
I have my own horror story about Optical Express earlier in this thread - I'd avoid them and if you do decide to have it done go with somebody with LVC who have a far better reputation.

My issue with Optical Express isn't the complications I suffered, **** happens, but its the fact that their aftercare process failed me at the final hurdle.

I would suggest once youve had your monitoring splashing the extra and going to LVC.

Thank you both, money not really an issue, especially when it comes to such a life changing procedure. Will avoid the 'high street' clinics next time around.

Back
Top Bottom