Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
How much cash do you guys sit on percentage wise?

With covid I piled everything I had into stocks and crypto. And obviously it was a sensible idea.

Now the easy wins are over is it sensible to keep more cash aside?
At the moment I've come into a small amount. Which puts me currently (percent) 15 cash : 40 crypto :45 stocks

It just seems so boring and a waste to be s sitting there

25% is a good amount imho although it depends what you're invested in. You're losing 25% of whatever profit you'd be making and losing to inflation, however if you take the dip from 2 weeks ago I made between 20-50% buying the most beat up US tech stocks and SPACs while also averaging down my price for long term holdings in that period. So overall I'm only up slightly the past 2 months but my main holding PLTR is at rock bottom right now and I can only see it going up over the next month or two compared to people that were 100% invested and are down a fair bit.

Soldato
Just take a tech fund, I dont see people have to be involved in crypto if you didnt have an interest up until now and your motivation is profits it seems a poor entry. Years back AMD was doing poorly but in amazing demand by crypto, seems like theres been a few times a reasonable excuse to buy in has been there. Tesla always seemed expensive to me but also they are banning the sale of petrol cars in 9 years is it, pretty extreme measures perhaps one justifies the other some. I should have been bullish Tesla a while back then and foresaw that, I didnt and same with crypto if not ahead of the curve I dont especially expect to be making a profit. The crowd always gets duped, ends up carrying the heavy end.

Bitcoin price rose a lot but the dynamics behind it, the population of users even hasnt risen at that rate so its become far more expensive. I hear big money, institutions etc but actual usage and utility imo is what matters. Simple take its just another example of asset price inflation resulting from QE cycles and easy monetary policy. I'm not against any technology but ideally I'd want to buy into the lows not the highs of any sector, I just try to judge that I dont know anything near enough about geology to justify being bullish the miners but I know just being right generally can be enough

Anything where the vision to invest doesnt match I want to buy it every month for five years, its a trade or speculation. Crypto has a lot of memes and froth to it, the strange thing is it also adheres to a four year average / 200 week which is surprising.

BTC isnt a stock so isnt exactly relevant here but its a graph like any other, if it breaks this current trend properly. Confirms that break weekly then 30k is reasonable for a downside objective, people say that cant happen this time so I presume it will :p its still bullish past any reset.
I think DXY needs to confirm and register 92 as a low, it hasnt done that. Again weekly closing prices is most relevant and I read a story saying 10yr treasury bond yields 'must' rise to 2%
Its tripled since July which was a marked move in the dollar index (and BTC seemed to react to that imo), how they connect Im not completely sure but those markets move in the trillions so they dictate everything else afaik

ExE9mJPWgAAnYGa

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone invested in Metro Bank (MTRO) ?

Held this for a while and whilst I'm positive, I'm struggling to see whether there is any growth here. Considering selling to go into a tech type stock whilst they are on the slide - Netflix or NVidia maybe?

These are med-long term buys. I don't make frequent trades.

Associate
Anyone invested in Metro Bank (MTRO) ?

Held this for a while and whilst I'm positive, I'm struggling to see whether there is any growth here. Considering selling to go into a tech type stock whilst they are on the slide - Netflix or NVidia maybe?

These are med-long term buys. I don't make frequent trades.
I am a customer with Metro Bank. I opened a account back in 2013 as I was attracted by their late opening hours and good customer service. This was useful for a couple of years as I could visit the branches after work to deposit cheques etc.

I've not stepped foot in any bank branch for years now as everything can be done online. There's no reason for me to bank with Metro Bank anymore and I am looking to move this account to someone like Starling as their app/website is much better.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they went out of business in a few years too. Their ethos of large prominent high street branches with fantastic customer service is expensive to maintain and out of date. With banking, people value convenience more than they a friendly high street experience. They've also always been on shaky ground financially, and that doesn't exactly attract customers either.

Caporegime
Best keep an eye on the news if you're trying to interpret big market moves.

This is from the noises about international travel restrictions over the weekend.

Yes I expected as much. I thought to myself I should sell (100 percent gain on Ezj) but with so much gain I thought I'd hold for a bit!

But I was surprised to see it 2x so quickly
Cine has so much debt too. So wondering about selling that

Soldato
How much cash do you guys sit on percentage wise?

With covid I piled everything I had into stocks and crypto. And obviously it was a sensible idea.

Now the easy wins are over is it sensible to keep more cash aside?
At the moment I've come into a small amount. Which puts me currently (percent) 15 cash : 40 crypto :45 stocks

It just seems so boring and a waste to be s sitting there

I'm about 13-15% cash in my ISA / SIPP.

I feel more comfortable carrying a bit more but it depends a bit on general sentiment. A few times I feel it's sub-optimal to not have it working or actively growing but when buying opportunities arise and you have no dry powder to jump in, soften a correction or short term retrace - the value in carrying cash is apparent. At least to me.

I know some IFA's that manage client money that will follow a similar 20-25% cash during volatile times but equally plenty of peoples portfolios will be fully invested. I guess it depends how active and regularly you want to be trading shares and buying fund units.

Soldato
I haven't invested in an IPO before but just looking at Deliveroo's and I don't fully understand how the share price and subsequent valuation isn't fixed? As in from an investment point of view, how are you supposed to judge a company when the price/valuation varies by 18%/£1.2billion.

I presume that's normal but how does it work?

Soldato
Take the investment fund which buys that IPO, let them work it out

An IPO has underwriters who buy the shares if nobody else does. Hard to say anything now but IPO used to mean a share placed cheaper to create demand, RMG classic example though its always variable either way. FB was $40 on IPO I think, fell to $20 after and I derped out on that one, a lot of people then said it was valued too high but it is a busy website. Also google appeared dam expensive IPO but they've done a lot also.
Right now rising treasury yields alters some context for those who speak in billions I guess. SLR expires end of month has some relevance :confused: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2021-03-19/banks-slip-after-fed-s-slr-relief-decision-video

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...Edi_Cit_New_v220210321&utm_campaign=DM1358475
I hope ARM is relisted in London, we need some tech back

Coal seems a lot healthier then I imagined

Last edited:
Soldato
Lot of noise about a IPO for STRIPE this year (online payments company) - anybody keeping an eye on that one?

Yes - something I mentioned earlier :) However, I'm not sure people like us will get a look in.

I had a gut feeling about Hyve, I should have sold. Down from 1.4X to 1.14 right now - I'm still not overly sure they will get as big of a recovery as they would expect.

In terms of other news was expecting IAG to be down, I've held them for long enough. Recovery road was always going to be bumpy and I didn't think the recent rises were correct based on that.

Associate
I half think value play is the way to go this year. Unilever and alike, just steer clear of Kraft. Stocks you can just buy and forget.

Perhaps even IUKD again might be a thought.

Soldato
Yes - something I mentioned earlier :) However, I'm not sure people like us will get a look in.

I had a gut feeling about Hyve, I should have sold. Down from 1.4X to 1.14 right now - I'm still not overly sure they will get as big of a recovery as they would expect.

In terms of other news was expecting IAG to be down, I've held them for long enough. Recovery road was always going to be bumpy and I didn't think the recent rises were correct based on that.

Yep, was expecting some bumpiness with IAG/RR, pricing seemed to assume 'normal' returns by late summer.

The reality is no-one knows what normal is yet. We could be in for annual scrambles to develop and administer updated vaccines and long-term border fire-breaks to prevent variants getting in. Who knows.

I'm sticking with IAG and RR because I think they're best placed to survive, and will get state support if necessary because of the strength of their brands in the eyes of this superficial flag-waving government.

With stuff like RR...it's not like their competitors have it any easier, it's not like they're vulnerable to new market entrants stealing their lunch or anything like that. Airline travel may reduce but won't go away.

VW has softened the recent downturn in my portfolio at least short term!

Associate
Can anyone tell me if there's something wrong with scalping when trading ?, I've opened a Plus500 account and been told 'no scalping' so am keeping positions open longer than I would like to make sure it doesn't look like scalping, and still making a good profit on 80% of my trades, but was just about to open an Etoro account and in their terms and conditions it specifically states 'no scalping' again !!, is there a broker in the UK or at least regulated in the UK that does allow scalping that you could recommend ?

Thanks

Associate
Can anyone tell me if there's something wrong with scalping when trading ?, I've opened a Plus500 account and been told 'no scalping' so am keeping positions open longer than I would like to make sure it doesn't look like scalping, and still making a good profit on 80% of my trades, but was just about to open an Etoro account and in their terms and conditions it specifically states 'no scalping' again !!, is there a broker in the UK or at least regulated in the UK that does allow scalping that you could recommend ?

Thanks

What do you mean when you say scalping? Are you going in and out of positions within seconds/minutes? If not I think it's probably unlikely they'll view it as scalping. If you are you can try Interactive Brokers, as far as I know they don't care about scalping. I've started it as a hobby on there with a small account (not really expecting to make money, just find it fun). Plus500 are CFD only aren't they? If they're also commission free that might be why they don't want people scalping.

Back
Top Bottom