Unraid Question

Associate
Apologies if this in the wrong section to begin with!

I've had a wee media server for a while now that basically just ran plex media server for a no more than 4 users. I just stuck Windows 10 on it and left it to it's own devices as I was sitting next to it almost every day anyway so was easy to do anything that needed doing. It was just 1 SSD with OS and 3x8TB drives slapped in, no RAID or anything like that.

Got a new job so won't be at home all the time now, and I am a bit bored, so fancied trying something new. Installed Unraid (30 day trial) and whilst it has taken a flipping eternity to build the parity drive and get the array up and running it is now working with 1XSSD cache drive, 1x8TB parity drive and 4x8TB. Plex is working fine but I would like to be able to access the server/shares from outside my hone network.

I know very little about setting this up so was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some articles online which might explain the process. From what I can glean the best option is to set up a VPN on a router and then use that on a remote PC to connect to my home network which would simply allow me to access it as if I were physically on the home network. Is this the case, also can this be done in Unraid as docker or the like as I would need to get a new router I believe in order to set this up as I doubt my Vodafone bog standard one would allow me to do this, although I could obviously be wrong given my lack of knowledge here :)

Any information would be gratefully appreciated, and even some pointers to some stuff to read online would be a big help so that I know I am looking in the right direction. It's not particularly urgent so I have time to read up and have a fart about with stuff.

Cheers

Soldato
If you just want to access your own media, you don’t need a VPN, just enable a port forward on the router. The remote access tab on your Plex settings let’s you specify the port (assuming it’s not running in docker, so all you need to do is enable remote access and then forward 32400 (or whatever port you choose) to the internal IP of your Plex server. I would suggest this is probably a good time to make sure your server is provisioned a static IP via the router.

Associate
What Avalon said. It's quite simple really, but I usually find a bit of a bug where it refuses to accept that it can see the outside world. A few refreshes or a reboot tend to fix it

Soldato
What Avalon said. It's quite simple really, but I usually find a bit of a bug where it refuses to accept that it can see the outside world. A few refreshes or a reboot tend to fix it

I have noticed similar on occasions, but usually just refreshing the browser after enabling remote access and being told it’s failed is sufficient for it to change its mind.

Associate
I have noticed similar on occasions, but usually just refreshing the browser after enabling remote access and being told it’s failed is sufficient for it to change its mind.

Yeah, had me stumped for a while.

Now that I think of it though, I did find that my old BT home hub would outright block the connection. No way of fixing it. Seemed to be a common thing, but I can't remember exactly why.

I picked up a second hand Draytek Vigor and that fixed it immediately

Soldato
Yeah, had me stumped for a while.

Now that I think of it though, I did find that my old BT home hub would outright block the connection. No way of fixing it. Seemed to be a common thing, but I can't remember exactly why.

I picked up a second hand Draytek Vigor and that fixed it immediately

Random, I ran various HH’s during training periods on FTTC and g.fast, zero issues port forwarding for Plex. The issue I referenced affects local and remote servers, I just assumed it was safari being quirky.

Back
Top Bottom