Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I decided to start running last October since basically doing sod all exercise for pushing 20 years.

Started off at barely managing 6.30 per km and even then I was really struggling and couldn't run beyond 5k.

Now done to around 5.20 per km on a 5k and 5.30 p/km on a 10km. Committed to running 1000km this year so rocking at least 20km a week working toward that target. I lost 4 stone at one point though that was far too much so purposefully out a stone and some back on.

I've managed about 6 or 7 half marathons, last one I just got under 2 hours at 1.59.03, first one was nearly two and a half :p

I've just committed to the virtual London marathon and I'm bricking it, I've got a training plan in place and working toward, hopefully, getting it under 4 hours though that's a pipe dream.

Anyhow, point of the post. I'm a bit older, 37, and coming off a long, long time of no exercise I find I'm picking up injuries a lot. The niggles I can live with but I keep aggravating my left calf and it's really, really tight sometimes for days after a run and it's screwing with my training plan. Does anyone have similar issues and could share advice on the topic?

Firstly we'll done on what you've done so far. I read your post and a lot of what you've said sounded very familiar. Just under 2 years ago I returned to running after having done very little exercise over previous 5 or more years. I'm a couple of years older then you and when I first started back, I would make good progress for a while and then my calf would suddenly go again and I'd need to rest for at least a week or more before I could re-start my training. I was in this cycle for months.

The fix? Slow down!

You mentioned some times for 5k and 10k, but I'd say if you're running anywhere near that as part of day to day training, it's far too quick. I've now been running slower for over a year and not had a single injury. Last year I managed to break 2000km and my running has improved dramatically without any real focus on running faster at all.

There's loads of great information in this thread - search for 80/20 running. Basically 80% of your runs should be done at an easy pace (low heart rate), trying to run even at moderate intensity offers little benefit in terms of improvements but increases the risk of injury and makes it less likely you can sustain a consistent volume of running over a long time. The other 20% should be done at high intensity, like short interval sprints - but tbh I've hardly done any pace work and mostly focused on consistent 'easy' training to avoid injury. I would recommend the same for you initially, try a month of slower running (at pace where holding a conversation throughout should be easy). Once you've managed several weeks injury free, think about slowly adding in the odd fast run - but bear in mind that these sessions are the ones which carry the risk of injury.

Soldato
I decided to start running ....

< continued from above >

80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower by Matt Fitzgerald

This book covers a lot of the principals I now follow, but there's also tons of information from far more experienced and knowledgeable runners then me, earlier in the thread.

As I already mentioned my training has been more like 90/10 or even 100/0 but as the book explains you don't need to train fast to run faster.

Good luck with the injuries and your running in general!

Soldato
Cheers for the tips!

I'm competitive in nature so the pace thing is coming from that and always wanting to improve. Will try a few slower ones and see how I get on. At the minute pushing myself as I would love the sub 4 marathon but that's essentially sustaining around a 5.35 pace over that distance which I know will be tough.

Longest I've ran is 25km to date and post 21 my pace curtailed massively to just below 6 so want to work hard to improve, but as you say not get injured!

Soldato
I used to think in the same way but it's a common mistake that most runners make, to think that training faster/harder is the best way to improve. But that's not what the science says. All top runners will do a lot of their runs at low intensity. Trying to do otherwise just adds a lot of injury risk for no real performance gain.

Associate
Was a nice day our today so put in 16mi on the now (mostly) dried out bridleways, so much more interesting than looping round the streets!

I tend to do 1-2 interval sessions a week out of my 5 running days. I think that still just about falls into the 80/20 just due to the rest periods built into intervals plus the warm up and cool down cycles. I'm probably still a little high on my heart rate but feels comfortable enough so it works for me

Soldato
Went on my hilly-ish (123m elevation gain) 5k walk yesterday and decided to actually try running some of the uphills. Boy do I have just about zero endurance when it comes to running elevation, going to start changing my routes this week so can incorporate more uphill sections.

Associate
I decided to start running last October since basically doing sod all exercise for pushing 20 years.

Started off at barely managing 6.30 per km and even then I was really struggling and couldn't run beyond 5k.

Now done to around 5.20 per km on a 5k and 5.30 p/km on a 10km. Committed to running 1000km this year so rocking at least 20km a week working toward that target. I lost 4 stone at one point though that was far too much so purposefully out a stone and some back on.

I've managed about 6 or 7 half marathons, last one I just got under 2 hours at 1.59.03, first one was nearly two and a half :p

I've just committed to the virtual London marathon and I'm bricking it, I've got a training plan in place and working toward, hopefully, getting it under 4 hours though that's a pipe dream.

Anyhow, point of the post. I'm a bit older, 37, and coming off a long, long time of no exercise I find I'm picking up injuries a lot. The niggles I can live with but I keep aggravating my left calf and it's really, really tight sometimes for days after a run and it's screwing with my training plan. Does anyone have similar issues and could share advice on the topic?
I completely agree with what div0 has been saying. Training for your first marathon is all about maximising your time on feet. You want to be running as much as you can and as consistently as you can, with a particular focus on your weekly long run. Going on what you've posted you seem to be doing quite well over the past 6 months. I think you might be able to do sub 4 hours if your training doesn't get disrupted with injuries. As div0 says, they key to avoiding injuries is not pushing yourself by keeping your runs at an easy, conversational pace.

The other key thing for a marathon is nutrition. Race day nutrition is quite individual so it may take a while to find what is best for you. Do some research online and see what options are available and practice during your long runs to see how you respond to them. Best of luck with your training!

Associate
Just as an update, I went out and did a 5k last night..... Rest day today, another run tomorrow....maybe :)
So I have kept the running up and entering my third week now, just doing 5k's every other day, but not feeling too guilty if i just chill and drink beer on the weekends instead :p
Enjoying it when I get out there, I think I just need to be able to book events again so I can get motivated!

Associate
Was a nice day our today so put in 16mi on the now (mostly) dried out bridleways, so much more interesting than looping round the streets!

I tend to do 1-2 interval sessions a week out of my 5 running days. I think that still just about falls into the 80/20 just due to the rest periods built into intervals plus the warm up and cool down cycles. I'm probably still a little high on my heart rate but feels comfortable enough so it works for me
It depends where you are in a training cycle and what your current goals are really. If you are trying to run a faster 5k or 10k and already have the fitness for the distance then I would expect more interval sessions and workouts at a higher pace. If you are trying to increase endurance for a half/full marathon I would expect most of your training is at an easy pace.

For example, I'm currently trying to aggressively increase my weekly mileage in preparation for marathon training over the summer so 100% of my runs are at an easy pace at the minute.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just do one interval session a week they are killers on the body and hence longer for recovery. Another good tip is to do your normal Z2 run and at the end of the run and only at the end of the run, 1 or 2 hard efforts (ideally hill work) This has shown to have a positive effect and still be injury free as you are fully warmed up and your body is working at optimum after your easy run.

On a separate note I cant seem to lose any more weight, currently lugging around 80-82kg even with all the cycling and running i am doing losing weight just seems to be impossible. If I restrict calories I just feel like pooh and cant train well. I was 105kg 2.5years ago but pushing 50 and sat at a desk doesn't really help either.

/Bodies are **** especially knees and lower backs.

Associate
Just do one interval session a week they are killers on the body and hence longer for recovery. Another good tip is to do your normal Z2 run and at the end of the run and only at the end of the run, 1 or 2 hard efforts (ideally hill work) This has shown to have a positive effect and still be injury free as you are fully warmed up and your body is working at optimum after your easy run.

On a separate note I cant seem to lose any more weight, currently lugging around 80-82kg even with all the cycling and running i am doing losing weight just seems to be impossible. If I restrict calories I just feel like pooh and cant train well. I was 105kg 2.5years ago but pushing 50 and sat at a desk doesn't really help either.

/Bodies are **** especially knees and lower backs.
Yep, strides at the end of an easy run are probably the best bang for your buck training you can do. Strides are basically sprints at 95% effort for 20 seconds or so, rest until recovered and then repeat maybe 4 to 8 times.

Sounds like you might already be at a healthy weight now? Unless you're a heavy drinker/smoker or your diet isn't the best? Check your BMI, you've already lost 20kg or a fifth of your body weight!

Associate
Good points about the intervals. I am ramping up for marathon training again so should focus more on endurance than anything else. Been using the Macmillan training plans historically which tend to include 1-2 higher load workouts a week on their 5 day plans.l and the day after that session is always a rest or low effort session.

BMI as said is probably your best check rather than absolute weight but take with a large pinch of salt. I’m at the top end of “normal” for my BMI, I’d like to drop about 5lbs to be what I feel is “right” but that still has me in the higher end of the normal range.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
BMI is green, but not in the middle of the scale not a smoker or a drinker. Just annoying really would like to hit 75kg

Soldato
Question for you more distance runners, what's the deal with nutrition when it comes to longer runs. Longest I've done so far is 10k and basically do that on an empty stomach with no food or water in between.

Do you guys do those gels, electrolytes on the 10+ mile run, eat before, etc?

Soldato
Question for you more distance runners, what's the deal with nutrition when it comes to longer runs. Longest I've done so far is 10k and basically do that on an empty stomach with no food or water in between.

Do you guys do those gels, electrolytes on the 10+ mile run, eat before, etc?

I'm slow, so even some less long runs can take me long enough to need fuel.

Generally anything over 10 miles i'll take a few gels with me and try and pre-plan when i'll take them (every 30 mins or so), I found it's better to do that than leave it till i need one as then it's too late.

If i take a drink i'll generally add electrolyte powder in with my water. I don't tend to take water for anything sub 2hrs, unless it's hot. But i sweat a lot, so if i do lose fluids i'd rather top up electrolytes as soon as possible to minimise recovery.

Really long runs i'll try and have food before hand, but generally i'll do a long run first thing at a weekend and don't have time to eat something as it knocks me off unless i leave at least 30 mins after. If you're prepping for a marathin though, it's worth trying to train your stomach to run on food though. It can take a while to not feel awful.

Associate
I'm pretty much the same as Martynt74. Anything around or over 2 hours I'll take 500ml water + Tailwind with me and a SIS isotonic or electrolyte gel every 40 minutes or so. Less than that and I don't really need it unless it's stupid hot or something. Longer long runs (over 3 hours) I'll try to take some more substantial food with me too, those small packets of Haribo sweets or an energy bar, as gels get a bit boring. I'll obviously take more water too (probably about 1 litre).

I do always eat before a long run, usually a big bowl of porridge an hour before, and try to have a high carb meal the night before too. Make sure it's food your familiar with so you don't have any stomach troubles! Also anything high in fats before a run always gives me a stitch (croissant, fry up etc).

It's always a good idea to take more food/water than you need in case you make a wrong turn and end up running further than intended. Also advisable if your going to be out in an exposed environment to take something to protect you if the weather turns bad unexpectedly.

Soldato
Good point on taking extra.

I always read it was worth taking £20 too, just incase you get hurt and need to get a taxi or need to buy some food/drink when you're far away. Obviously applies more to long runs where you've travelled to a destination than just running a 15 mile loop near home.

Soldato
I'm still nowhere near those numbers but think I might invest into some electrolyte powder to start with, seems cheap enough from usual supplement sites.

Soldato
I'm still nowhere near those numbers but think I might invest into some electrolyte powder to start with, seems cheap enough from usual supplement sites.

I use this one for bike rides:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SP31TCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?

Maybe cheaper elsewhere but Prime free delivery is a winner as I don't need to make up an order.

One scoop for 750ml bottle, bit more for a 950ml bottle and a good glug of whatever squash we have open. Tastes fine IMO and a truck load cheaper than High5 Zero or other tablets. I still have some of the tablets but save them for long rides where I'll need to refill bottles whilst out, so the tablets win on convenience.

For energy on long runs, I'll take gels and Tangfastics. I fancy a marathon again at some point but during my last one I got into eating Jaffa Cakes. Nice & moist, so easy to chew and cheap from the somewhere like B&M or Home Bargains. I remember munching through them early in the race and then moving onto gels.

Back
Top Bottom