• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Soldato
Hi all, I have a 5950X build which I have overclocked with curve optimizer absolutely fine over 5GHz. I am just now building a 5800X for someone else and I can't go any higher than +25MHz boost. If I try the AMD Ryzen Auto OC it will BSOD at boot (100MHz boost). Doesn't seem right. Is it really possible this CPU can't do better than +25MHz boost? Curve optimizer doesn't seem to help either. I am wondering if it's a BIOS bug or if the CPU is just 'rubbish'?
Its probably just down to silicon lottery and since 4.7 is the advertised boost clock anything over that is a bonus.

You could try updating to the lastest bios though if you haven't already and seeing if that makes a difference.

Associate
the core thread will pass on from one thread to another between your top core. each core has two threads so ST load will bounce between two threads. if you dont get the 5GHZ+ mean the CPU doesnt think it is a good idea to hit 5GHz+. plus in CB20 or CB23 you wont get sustained 5GHz boost in ST. you get some boosts upto that clock. Also it may be the silicon lottery. your CPU is well above the spec basically from the looks of things and like pretty much all of the ryzen 5000 CPUs, they are able to boost well above the spec sheet values.

Thanks, i used HWInfo and HWlogviewer to check the boost using a game that i know for sure scale very well on multiple core processors, Cyberpunk 2077. Well it goes to 5050 just fine on some cores, so i suppose is ok like this (-20 on curve optimizer on every core)
Regarding the stability.

Soldato
So it does... sorry. Back to the drawing board!
That update has caused me issues. I am presented with 3 different error messages upon logging in and I can't run the Nicehash mining tool after installing that update. It may be completely unrelated to your issue but I've had issues outside of the known printing one with this update. I've had to uninstall the update and pause an further updates for now.

Associate
Just thought I would give a heads-up for those interested.
Seems 5800X can really vary in quality.

Ive had a 5800X for the last few months, but for my needs I've wanted a 5900X.

I was quite concerned about temps of the 5800X and I couldn't get below -3 on curve optimiser, and certainly no boost override. With proper power it ran up to 90c quite easily under a stress test. Highest I got in cb23 mc was 15800

I got a 5900X(I bought off a scalper, just thought due to worsening silicon shortage and upcoming EPYC processors' I would bite the bullet), and it's monumentally better. Runs definitively cooler by far. On stock settings by about 15C. Curve optimiser all cores have been able to go -30 with boost override, and set power to motherboard.

So I think half of the problem with this is that the quality can be so variable. In particular 5800X CPUs seem to have very mixed performance.

Associate
Curve optimiser all cores have been able to go -30 with boost override
This doesn't tell much alone. Maybe its a golden chip, maybe its stock curve was awful. Maybe you are using a wrong stability test and it is actually unstable.
What about performance?
With these settings you should be setting performance records. Above 1650 CB23 single thread at least?

And as for temperature, there is an objective reason why all 5800X run hot. The cores can boost more agressively as they have more power headroom.

Associate
This doesn't tell much alone. Maybe its a golden chip, maybe its stock curve was awful. Maybe you are using a wrong stability test and it is actually unstable.
What about performance?
With these settings you should be setting performance records. Above 1650 CB23 single thread at least?

And as for temperature, there is an objective reason why all 5800X run hot. The cores can boost more agressively as they have more power headroom.

I ran it through CB23. Highest I've seen on mc is 23080, maybe 23100 or so. Sc I've seen it at 1640.

Soldato
Updated my ASUS board to the latest bios which includes the new AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 update. My 5800X is now boosting up to 5.050 Mhz after previously topping out at 5.025.

Also, I believe there was an issue with L3 cache speeds which has now been corrected. My speeds increased by around 300 GB/s in the AIDA 64 benchmark:

jy6SgGx.png

You'll notice in the last pic that I was able to get my RAM running stable at 3933 Mhz coupled. However my scores and latency were still slightly better at 3866 so I've reverted back to that.

I was also able to set and boot with the RAM at 4000 MHz coupled but my latency increased to 81 ns so we're not quite there yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I have a 5950X build which I have overclocked with curve optimizer absolutely fine over 5GHz. I am just now building a 5800X for someone else and I can't go any higher than +25MHz boost. If I try the AMD Ryzen Auto OC it will BSOD at boot (100MHz boost). Doesn't seem right. Is it really possible this CPU can't do better than +25MHz boost? Curve optimizer doesn't seem to help either. I am wondering if it's a BIOS bug or if the CPU is just 'rubbish'?
Can depend on the Mobo BIOS and general silicon lottery. I struggle to get above +50MHz on my 5900x and I tried many different configs. Could be a bad sample, but given the lack of existence of the 5900x I won't be looking to RMA any time soon. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the real world anyway.

Associate
Mine doesn't even do 25mhz without falling over. Hard to tell if it's not 'normal' since most people posting about Zen 3 seem to just slap 200mhz on without much effort.

Associate
I'm guessing with all these tweaks there will be little to no difference in gaming?
Depends
If you are not GPU bound, tweaking CO and additional clock will improve FPS. Both from raising clock ceiling and from CPU more likely hitting higher clocks thanks to Curve Optimizer. Games are exactly the sort of load that sees the most change. Sort-of multicore, but not 100% load on cores, so there is room to clock higher.

PBO limit tweaking alone or all core OC won't help games much. These are focused on 100% multicore tasks.

Soldato
Depends
If you are not GPU bound, tweaking CO and additional clock will improve FPS. Both from raising clock ceiling and from CPU more likely hitting higher clocks thanks to Curve Optimizer. Games are exactly the sort of load that sees the most change. Sort-of multicore, but not 100% load on cores, so there is room to clock higher.

PBO limit tweaking alone or all core OC won't help games much. These are focused on 100% multicore tasks.

So eSports games would likely see the best improvements then?
I'll probably still have a play about with it, was just curious really.

Soldato
Mine doesn't even do 25mhz without falling over. Hard to tell if it's not 'normal' since most people posting about Zen 3 seem to just slap 200mhz on without much effort.
I would be a little concerned about not being able to apply the additional frequency to maximum boost, it doesn't seem normal as you say. My instinct is that it's indicating instability elsewhere. Have you overclocked your system RAM? If so, it may be worth setting this back to the default profile and see if you can apply the additional Mhz to max boost.

Associate
I would be a little concerned about not being able to apply the additional frequency to maximum boost, it doesn't seem normal as you say. My instinct is that it's indicating instability elsewhere. Have you overclocked your system RAM? If so, it may be worth setting this back to the default profile and see if you can apply the additional Mhz to max boost.
Nope, everything else is just at stock/auto. I've just made my peace with it. Boosting to 4850mhz is enough and at least it manages to hold an all core load at 4700mhz/1.2v.

Back
Top Bottom