Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Just seen that deliveroo are having an ipo, how do you get involved in something like that? Still on the waiting list to join trading 212 over a month later.... I also saw they're resrving a portion for customers who order in next few days..

Associate
What do you mean when you say scalping? Are you going in and out of positions within seconds/minutes? If not I think it's probably unlikely they'll view it as scalping. If you are you can try Interactive Brokers, as far as I know they don't care about scalping. I've started it as a hobby on there with a small account (not really expecting to make money, just find it fun). Plus500 are CFD only aren't they? If they're also commission free that might be why they don't want people scalping.
yes, on my IG demo account, my shortest position was 6 seconds for £31 profit, on my real money, plus500 account, I held a £200 position this morning for 40 minutes and achieved £72 profit but could have closed it after about 3 minutes in for £104 profit, I'm just playing with £200 in with plus500 at the moment, but worried I'll get banned on plus500 for making short trades (not short positions, short amounts of time!) and yes, plus500 are CFD only and zero commission, but their spreads are quite big so they are making money even on scalping I would have thought ?

Caporegime
yes, on my IG demo account, my shortest position was 6 seconds for £31 profit, on my real money, plus500 account, I held a £200 position this morning for 40 minutes and achieved £72 profit but could have closed it after about 3 minutes in for £104 profit, I'm just playing with £200 in with plus500 at the moment, but worried I'll get banned on plus500 for making short trades (not short positions, short amounts of time!) and yes, plus500 are CFD only and zero commission, but their spreads are quite big so they are making money even on scalping I would have thought ?

Not even sure how you see the the change so quickly, at least it doesn't look like half the apps update that quickly!

Associate
Not even sure how you see the the change so quickly, at least it doesn't look like half the apps update that quickly!
I haven't found the phone apps that good to be honest, you cant see enough information quickly enough to make decisions I don't think, I always use the web browser on my desktop pc, if you set it to ticker timeline it updates many times per second on both IG and Plus500, and when there's big trading volumes it moves really fast, and that's the time I find my most profitable trades, they seem to be about 1pm till about 3pm that the trading volumes go mad, its quieter in the mornings, I still haven't figured out why.

When I find a graph that looks interesting to me, I look at the 1 week graph, 1 day graph, 12 hour and if they all show me a consistent trend that I can scalp, then I select the ticker setting and watch how it reacts for 30 minutes, then buy on a dip and wait anything from a few seconds to 15 minutes and sell on a peak, looking to make a profit of about £30-£100 each time and so far it seems to work really well for me, I have about an 80% profit rate to the 20% loss, and I set a stop loss a bit below recent dips just in case I got it wrong, because it can go bad really quickly sometimes when the graphs nosedive !

Caporegime
I haven't found the phone apps that good to be honest, you cant see enough information quickly enough to make decisions I don't think, I always use the web browser on my desktop pc, if you set it to ticker timeline it updates many times per second on both IG and Plus500, and when there's big trading volumes it moves really fast, and that's the time I find my most profitable trades, they seem to be about 1pm till about 3pm that the trading volumes go mad, its quieter in the mornings, I still haven't figured out why.

When I find a graph that looks interesting to me, I look at the 1 week graph, 1 day graph, 12 hour and if they all show me a consistent trend that I can scalp, then I select the ticker setting and watch how it reacts for 30 minutes, then buy on a dip and wait anything from a few seconds to 15 minutes and sell on a peak, looking to make a profit of about £30-£100 each time and so far it seems to work really well for me, I have about an 80% profit rate to the 20% loss, and I set a stop loss a bit below recent dips just in case I got it wrong, because it can go bad really quickly sometimes when the graphs nosedive !

Yeah can see how the apps are limited in that sense, interesting in site on how people trade differently though :)

Soldato

They make money on spreads, and on interest, i assume they also sell their books. However this is pennies and so the main way they make money is by not hedging your bets.

Because most people loose money, simply not hedging the vast majority is profitable.

Associate

You should have a watch of stockjock on twitch, he doesn't follow this strategy but his timeframe for holding a position is the same.

Some brokers have more serious tooling, where you can choose to pay for real time data. It's impossible to do such short term trades without that. Some people would say making profit long term trading in that style is impossible full stop due to algo trading and bigger players taking away opportunities from retail traders (and technical analysis of charts being total rubbish according to many!).

Soldato
Oof, some painful numbers this week.
You should have a watch of stockjock on twitch, he doesn't follow this strategy but his timeframe for holding a position is the same.

Some brokers have more serious tooling, where you can choose to pay for real time data. It's impossible to do such short term trades without that. Some people would say making profit long term trading in that style is impossible full stop due to algo trading and bigger players taking away opportunities from retail traders (and technical analysis of charts being total rubbish according to many!).

It's really, really hard to make money trading that short-term. Especially in times like now when the markets are so volatile. Even more so if you're trading leveraged products as the wild swings will close you way too easily.

I did do some spread betting years ago and just about managed to come out in profit after a few months. You have to be incredibly disciplined, if you're the sort of person that starts to feel emotions when looking at your portfolio tickers, just don't even consider it. You need ice in your veins, and it's very tiring mentally :p

Associate
Oof, some painful numbers this week.

It's really, really hard to make money trading that short-term. Especially in times like now when the markets are so volatile. Even more so if you're trading leveraged products as the wild swings will close you way too easily.

I did do some spread betting years ago and just about managed to come out in profit after a few months. You have to be incredibly disciplined, if you're the sort of person that starts to feel emotions when looking at your portfolio tickers, just don't even consider it. You need ice in your veins, and it's very tiring mentally :p

Yes, I am painfully aware of this, I do it with a small account for fun (real money goes into funds). I don't think I'd ever risk serious capital even if I was profitable over a period of time as I'm not sure I have the right mentality. I wouldn't use leveraged products like CFDs either - the game is even more stacked against you there. I disagree on the volatility though, day traders can't make money without it. Volatility creates exactly the TA based opportunities they're looking for to make money with short term positions.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Tried to get in on Deliveroo shares, will see if I get an allocation now.

Will deliveroo maintain their valuation once COVID is largely dealt with? People will probably have more time to cook, will start seeing friends more in a social capacity so eating out/BBQs and restaurants will be back in business again.

Who knows I guess.

Soldato
Will deliveroo maintain their valuation once COVID is largely dealt with? People will probably have more time to cook, will start seeing friends more in a social capacity so eating out/BBQs and restaurants will be back in business again.

Who knows I guess.

Habits are hard to break. Especially positive ones.

I've applied for shares anyway. I agree with the competition vs Just Eat etc but I think their brand is far stronger and more premium - something premium brands themselves want to align with. I can see them being able to do a lot with £1bn and I'll be holding for at least 2-3 years.

Soldato

Seems like the amount of effort involved you might as well get an extra job that pays minimum wage

fez

fez

Caporegime
Surely people have more time to cook now, either on furlough, or working from home so less commute time?

I think that depends. Until recently people have had to look after and educate their children in a lot of cases. My main reason for thinking these services will drop back a bit after COVID is that COVID gave them a massive boost despite what logic might suggest (what you are saying essentially).

Habits are hard to break. Especially positive ones.

I've applied for shares anyway. I agree with the competition vs Just Eat etc but I think their brand is far stronger and more premium - something premium brands themselves want to align with. I can see them being able to do a lot with £1bn and I'll be holding for at least 2-3 years.

Thats interesting, I would have said that JustEat was more premium if thats the word. Not going to lie though, I have only used just eat a few times because I am really tight and resent paying 6x the price of a home cooked meal for anything other than chinese and perhaps indian.

Soldato
Thats interesting, I would have said that JustEat was more premium if thats the word. Not going to lie though, I have only used just eat a few times because I am really tight and resent paying 6x the price of a home cooked meal for anything other than chinese and perhaps indian.

JustEat are trying desperately to change that with their latest ads that show nothing but McDonalds, KFC and other big chains (which, whilst not premium for their foodstuffs, help them align to recognised, trusted global brands). In reality JustEat is more your local dirty Chinese, kebab shop or weird pizza place that's a front for something.

Deliveroo is and always has been more partnered/brand delivery; Wagamama, Pho, Pizza Express, Five Guys, KFC and Byron are who they flaunt on their homepage at the moment (for me).

Interesting that even just glancing at the two websites you think JustEat is more premium though! Even their colour chioice is purposefully cheap; almost identical to easyJet for example, vs Deliveroo's teal which, off the top of my head, is more similar to Tiffany's.

...in fact I just wanted to see how similar they are:

xXZyIeM.jpg

Soldato
Anyone else in Keywords Studios? Reported a nice 14.4% growth in 2020. One of the few UK stocks I continue to hold. Share price is still nearly 13% down on its highs of a few months ago (88% up vs 12 months ago), but the earnings did give it a nice little boost today.

sid

sid

Soldato
Under what conditions would you consider investing in an actively managed fund ? It is clear they are no better than market average longer term. Are they really just for people who don't know how to find cheaper expense ratio funds ?

Back
Top Bottom