Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
Finished it yesterday - a little disappointed to be honest, there was some interesting stuff in there, notably the part about Bottas at Sochi and some insight into other bits and pieces, but disappointed about the lack of coverage of Russell at Mercedes and the other rookies stepping in at Haas and Williams. A bit lacklustre tbh :(

Caporegime
Finished it yesterday - a little disappointed to be honest, there was some interesting stuff in there, notably the part about Bottas at Sochi and some insight into other bits and pieces, but disappointed about the lack of coverage of Russell at Mercedes and the other rookies stepping in at Haas and Williams. A bit lacklustre tbh :(

Also the lack of Hülkenback. I suspect that's down to the way the thing is produced making it difficult for them to work with people who drop in, especially last year with Covid an extra barrier to them moving between garages at a race weekend.

Soldato

I felt the same.
Then it got all political at the end..

Soldato
Is it still overly dramatic? I watched S1 but had a bit of an issue with how they portrayed Grosjean at once of the races (where he tried to stop a camera man hitting his head) and using the old V10 engine noises. Got about 3 episodes into S2 before never continuing to watch any

Worth jumping back in?

Caporegime
Is it still overly dramatic? I watched S1 but had a bit of an issue with how they portrayed Grosjean at once of the races (where he tried to stop a camera man hitting his head) and using the old V10 engine noises. Got about 3 episodes into S2 before never continuing to watch any

Worth jumping back in?

If that stuff annoys you so much, probably not. There's interesting stuff in there, and a perspective you don't get otherwise, but it's very produced and they definitely choose their narratives.

Soldato
I did prefer the style of following a team for a weekend rather than this series where it jumped around all over.

I was thinking it still jumps back and forth a bit. I was wondering if I would prefer it just rolled through the season, throwing in what happens as it goes. Having said that, it works episodically with each little theme/story for the different teams each ep... so not too bothered either way.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The ironic fact this is actually more enjoyable to watch than the actual racing. Where have we come in the past 20 years.

This is how I felt as well. There is very little to get excited about on the track these days in most races so this is some welcome drama.

Only on episode 3 and Horner’s whining is so annoying.

Horner is just the **** stirrer general. RB know they haven't been able to compete on merit for years so try to get any little advantage they can by being a bit sneaky. I found it quite funny. Hes like a little puppet master.

Caporegime
This is how I felt as well. There is very little to get excited about on the track these days in most races so this is some welcome drama.

Horner is just the **** stirrer general. RB know they haven't been able to compete on merit for years so try to get any little advantage they can by being a bit sneaky. I found it quite funny. Hes like a little puppet master.
He also left his wife and kids for Geri Halliwell.

Soldato
Yeah, you never know, which is why I try and refrain from judgement. But you have to admit this one looks bad, at least on the face of it.

It may look bad on the face of it - very easy to judge but we don't know the situation at all. My relationship ended when my daughter was a few months old; I stayed involved and now have a much healthier relationship with her mother. :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its generally an awful job for anyone with a family I would imagine.

On the last episode I think Toto explained that he had spent something like 250 days in hotels last year, 700 hours on flights etc. Thats a lot of time away from your loved ones. Takes a certain kind of person on both side of the relationship to handle that.

Caporegime
Its generally an awful job for anyone with a family I would imagine.

On the last episode I think Toto explained that he had spent something like 250 days in hotels last year, 700 hours on flights etc. Thats a lot of time away from your loved ones. Takes a certain kind of person on both side of the relationship to handle that.

Last year was extra-bad because of all the Quarantine, but with ever-more ridiculous inflation of the race calendar and all these double and triple headers it's getting ever more brutal.

Man of Honour
I’m working my way through this and struggling. My god they blow up story lines that don’t exist and then completely gloss over others. Almost to the point where the racing becomes a distant thought after the story they are telling. The fake commentary and tacked on out of place radio messages are absolute cringe at times. I guess it’s not aimed at me though.

Associate

Not much they could do about that. If they're not scheduled to be with that team for that weekend, they can't cover it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I’m working my way through this and struggling. My god they blow up story lines that don’t exist and then completely gloss over others. Almost to the point where the racing becomes a distant thought after the story they are telling. The fake commentary and tacked on out of place radio messages are absolute cringe at times. I guess it’s not aimed at me though.

Its not a highlights reel is it. Its about the stuff around the racing and behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom