Philips Hue Bulbs in an outdoor floodlight fitting?

Soldato
HI Everyone,

My outdoor floodlight has packed in, and I'd like to replace it.

Ideally I'd like something like a dual gu10 floodlight style fitment inc a pir (if possible).

Basically, I'd like a floodlight with pir and remote functionality. If it can be integrated with my hue system all the better. This will serve not only as a security light, but to light up the garden in the late evenings.

Thanks.

Soldato
You can't use a standard outdoor housing with PIR to power a Hue bulb as that works on the basis of controlling the power to the bulb when a Hue bulb needs to be powered all the time.

Options here would be to use a standard outdoor housing with a Hue bulb(s) (powered on all the time) and a combination of a Hue Motion sensor and schedules to control lighting. Only issue with this is the motion sensor is not weatherproof so you need a way to position that keeping it away from the elements. Pretty sure they work through glass so you have options. Lastly only other consideration is the sensor and bulb will need to be in range of your Hue Hub.

Soldato
OP
^ Good point.....the hue hub is actually on the same wall as where my current flood light is so wifi distance isn't an issue. There is also a bedroom window near by so I could put the motion sensor there.

Do you know if an outdoor gu10 fitting exists? ideally one with two bulbs

Associate
You can't use a standard outdoor housing with PIR to power a Hue bulb as that works on the basis of controlling the power to the bulb when a Hue bulb needs to be powered all the time.

Could you not use a PIR light fitted with a PH bulb if you set the 'Power On' setting of that bulb within the hue app to say that when power comes to the bulb it will turn on to a set colour or previous setting? Just as you would when setting a power on behaviour of any other bulb in the power loss settings?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Could you not use a PIR light fitted with a PH bulb if you set the 'Power On' setting of that bulb within the hue app to say that when power comes to the bulb it will turn on to a set colour or previous setting? Just as you would when setting a power on behaviour of any other bulb in the power loss settings?

Yes, but then what's the point of spending so much on Hue bulbs when a normal LED would behave the same.

Soldato
OP
I forgot I'd made this thread....wow, Jan 2018

Since then I've bought a philips hue floodlight for the rear garden, and a standard B22 bulb in a housing for the front door. The timing feature in the app is great for the front, and I never bothered with adding the hue PIR for the garden. We really just wanted a light we could manually switch on and off.

Commissario
The floodlight is 240v isn't it? I've got a 500W halogen light on the front of the house and I'd like to swap that to a Hue flood with the outdoor motion sensor so I can control it cleverly. I hope that all I'd need to do would be to isolate the power, remove the old halogen flood and fit the Hue outdoor flood and nail the motion sensor on the wall somewhere.

Associate
The floodlight is 240v isn't it? I've got a 500W halogen light on the front of the house and I'd like to swap that to a Hue flood with the outdoor motion sensor so I can control it cleverly. I hope that all I'd need to do would be to isolate the power, remove the old halogen flood and fit the Hue outdoor flood and nail the motion sensor on the wall somewhere.
I stalled two recently and it was Just a simple swap over and job done

Back
Top Bottom