*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
Secondly, I would go for the F-18 plus not the Syria map, but the Persian Gulf map - as this combo is about to get an ambitious Ace Combat like DLC campaign that does not require deep knowledge of the systems. In fact, the experience should be about FC3 level of complexity but in a fully modelled F-18C. The Persian Gulf map is also better optimised for your VR when compared to Syria.

I see Rising Squall is on the e-store.... tried it yet?

Soldato
Yep, bought and played the first 6 missions yesterday. As an Ace Combat homage it is as close to perfect one can hope - the casting of the voice actors, the cheesy/quirky yet weirdly charming dialogues, the MUSIC. As far as the learning curve goes, it is not as shallow as I was led to believe prior to launch. Expect to read and practice 1 or 2 things prior to each mission. E.g. JSOW and HARM prior to mission 1, radar modes for mission 2, JDAM for another mission etc. So it's certainly easier than then most other DCS campaigns, but not trivial. I still think the F-15C Georgian War campaign is the best intro into DCS learning curve wise, but if one really likes Ace Combat's atmosphere, Rising Squall did an amazing job imo.

Soldato
Finished the Rising Squall campaign - some niggles aside, its a must to all past and present Ace Combat fans. Although, like the expression goes "if you need explanation on why jazz is cool, then you'll never understand jazz". Similarly, if someone thinks that AC is a "simple arcade", then Rising Squall is also not for him:)

PS Loved the "boss fight" in one of the missions. It seems impossible first, but once done, you feel like a badass ace.

PPS The checkpoint system is a breath of fresh air (including in the boss fight mission), so nice not having to trudge through the mission when you die on some difficult bit in the end.

PPPS Radar TWS is bugged in current DCS beta, use RWS instead. RWS is so OP in the Hornet, so almost no loss.

PPPPS Bought Ace Combat 7, seeing the recently released mod that removes the stupid ugly heatblur around afterburners at high speed :) https://www.moddb.com/games/ace-combat-7/addons/no-heat-distortions-for-afterburners

Soldato
Went to play DCS for the first time in a while, I'm getting a notification that my F18 and Supercarrier DLC isn't authorised and will be disabled.

Tried removing the DLC from within the content manager by both uninstalling and deleting but it won't bugger off so can't even re-install it.

Any ideas before I do a full uninstall of the game?

Soldato
Did you change something in your PC recently? Looks like broken activation, so no need to reinstall probably. Check activation in the module manager menu (at the top of the screen on the main menu)

Soldato
Yeah I don't think I've played DCS since I added a new HDD and re-installed windows so no doubt that's the issue but can't seem to fix it.

They are activated, just not authorised. Can't remove them to uninstall - if I try to uninstall then it looks like it's working and DCS restarts, but they are still there after it restarts. Really weird.

Soldato
Its definitely broken activation, but no big deal. Just click the remove module wastebin icons on each of the modules, restart and it will ask for activation key. On keyless modules, I can't remember the procedure, but probably manually deactivate and it will automatically activate once you log in? You may try the green sliders in the menu together with the bin things. Had similar issues after W10 reinstall last year and it was all about reactivation, no need to redownload or reinstall.

See below
Untitled.jpg

Soldato
Yeah that's my point though, that doesn't work.

I click that and it goes to remove as normal (I did that previously for the now un-needed free fly modules in Jan so familiar with how it works), but but when it restarts I still get the same message about authorisations and the module is still there as though I had never clicked uninstall. I also tried doing it by the check box and clicking delete but same thing.

It's like bloody groundhog day lol.

Associate
Upgraded my aging x52 to a TM Warthog, such a big difference in my flying accuracy. Loving DCS again

On another note - can anyone recommend some good missions for a duo to play together? Or is it bet just to use a public server?

Soldato
So I got back into PC gaming after a 10 year hiatus for the 'experience' and things have come a long way. Most of the FPS games I play have got a bit stale / development is slow and im drawn into DCS so im doing a bit of window shopping. Most of the video's ive seen, everyone has commented that you have to experience it first hand to believe how decent it is; full hotas and VR setup.

Covid aside, ive got a shopping cart of oculus Rift 2 and full Virpil HOTAS ready to pull the trigger...but I dont know much about the development side of flight sims and what is on the horizon; both in DCS and other flight sims.

I like the idea of a fully immersive game with decent kit that wont break/fail in 12months. I like the idea of a game being task/objective driven with a community (both social and competitive) to play with and against.
Is this the route and game for me? What does the future roadmap look like for DCS? I’m I mad for wanting to jump in head first?

Associate
Upgraded my aging x52 to a TM Warthog, such a big difference in my flying accuracy. Loving DCS again

On another note - can anyone recommend some good missions for a duo to play together? Or is it bet just to use a public server?
If you want to just stick to the two of you your best bet is the mission editor. I create missions for my brother and I to play as two. You'll want to keep them relatively simple if one of you will be hosting, our experience is the extra strain can limit performance.

We've started using an AWS solution for ours, see here: Host a DCS Server in AWS | Blog (ready-room.net), mostly as a learning exercise if I'm honest though.

Al

Associate
............ What does the future roadmap look like for DCS? I’m I mad for wanting to jump in head first?

I've recently got back into PC gaming, VR and DCS. Within a week of reinstalling DCS with the Reverb G2 I'd bought a Warthog. If you like the learning element DCS is excellent, often I'll fire it up to practice something or learn a new weapon etc.... I've got a10cii, F18, Spitfire, SC and a variety of maps now.

The future road map for DCS is excellent, v2.7 and clouds are the most imminent excitement. You're not mad for going all in, but you'll need time and patience to learn the modules.

Soldato
I've recently got back into PC gaming, VR and DCS. Within a week of reinstalling DCS with the Reverb G2 I'd bought a Warthog. If you like the learning element DCS is excellent, often I'll fire it up to practice something or learn a new weapon etc.... I've got a10cii, F18, Spitfire, SC and a variety of maps now.

The future road map for DCS is excellent, v2.7 and clouds are the most imminent excitement. You're not mad for going all in, but you'll need time and patience to learn the modules.

Cheers.
I dont mind putting in the time for something that will last. Last thing I want to happen is to sink time into a game that has run its course and everyone is waiting for a NEXT game that is better than 'DCS' to come out and I have to re-learn.

Didnt know about the Reverb G2, looks great and perfect for this.

Associate
Cheers.
I dont mind putting in the time for something that will last. Last thing I want to happen is to sink time into a game that has run its course and everyone is waiting for a NEXT game that is better than 'DCS' to come out and I have to re-learn.

Didnt know about the Reverb G2, looks great and perfect for this.
DCS is not going anywhere.
The G2 is great for sims, but, it’s not perfect. You should check out the G2 thread in the VR forum and on Reddit, before you buy.
I’m happy with mine now, but it’s not been all plain sailing. You’ll also need some serious gpu resource to throw at it.
Al

Soldato
DCS is not going anywhere.
The G2 is great for sims, but, it’s not perfect. You should check out the G2 thread in the VR forum and on Reddit, before you buy.
I’m happy with mine now, but it’s not been all plain sailing. You’ll also need some serious gpu resource to throw at it.
Al

Ok thanks. I'll take a read of the forums and see what pops up.
Ive got a AMD 3600 and a 2070S. Adding a CPU and a GFX upgrade into the mix isnt something that I want to do. That would be the best part of £3-4k.

Back
Top Bottom