Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Under what conditions would you consider investing in an actively managed fund ? It is clear they are no better than market average longer term. Are they really just for people who don't know how to find cheaper expense ratio funds ?

You look at their objectives and strategy, and how they are doing things. Along with holdings and weights.

You might want income and allocation to the UK, and thus you can buy shares of CTY, instead of the FTSE100 tracker.

You need to rationalize your portfolio to yourself somehow. You can go fully passive sure, but if you then buy a single company, you've broken that, now you begin to rationalize things, then you devolve into owning 15 different funds, and have no idea wtf you are doing.

Thats what happens to most people.

Soldato
Under what conditions would you consider investing in an actively managed fund ? It is clear they are no better than market average longer term. Are they really just for people who don't know how to find cheaper expense ratio funds ?

ahhh - the good old Actives versus Passives debate....

How long you got? :D

At the end of the day - what are the fund objectives? What is the risk profile of the fund, what is your risk profile, do you have any ESG wishes etc etc - Pick the funds that suits your overall objectives and is closely aligned to what you want to achieve.

Always going to be a huge debate on what is good/bad passive/active etc.

Associate
My thought of 'actively' managed funds, is that they can be more tailored to certain investment goals/objectives, whereas an index fund just represents an 'average'.

For the majority, a global equity fund would probably suffice.

Soldato
Who'da thought a bit of canal blockage could cause a sea of red

Markets have been overheated for a long time....they're always going to over-react to any negative news.

Interesting point now, if things tip below the last dip or not. Might buy a little today.

Topped up some SMT at 1076. Can't believe we don't see a bounce from here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dollar above 92 but see if it confirms a proper low, starts a trend up. That'd be inline with larger moves in multiple asset types

https://seekingalpha.com/news/36761...k-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha

TSMC etc. seems especially relevant to this forum, good site to signup and get relevant news.

• TSMC (NYSE:TSM) will remain Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) major foundry partner despite the latter's push to become a global foundry player, according to DigiTimes sources.
  • Sources say TSMC has already signed new supply deals with Intel.
  • At the Unleashed event earlier this week, Intel said has increased adoption of the advanced EUV chipmaking equipment. EUV machines, supplied by ASML (NASDAQ:ASML), are costly and take time to ramp up to full capacity.
  • TSMC already has 5nm and 3nm process technologies in place.

Associate
Well I’ve just had a right result. I put in a complaint to IG about a GME position I couldn’t close due to their outage back in jan, they have today agreed to refund me the difference between what I closed and what I proved I was trying to close at.

Nice 4 figure bonus!

Soldato
Well I’ve just had a right result. I put in a complaint to IG about a GME position I couldn’t close due to their outage back in jan, they have today agreed to refund me the difference between what I closed and what I proved I was trying to close at.

Nice 4 figure bonus!

Wow. I'm surprised they didn't say something like the services are used at your own risk and they only guarantee 98% up time or something like that. Great result.

Caporegime
Soldato
TSMC shares shot up when intel moved to them for production. I picked some up then in my SIPP. Also picked up Intel shares when dropped massively too. I think the recent moves, combined with the shortage of semiconductors and the growth in the market are going to be good for all concerned in the medium-long term.

I also saw intel is expanding it's Ireland plant, and building another somewhere in the Europe. I wonder if the EU will throw money at them. From a security point of view the EU is keen to get

fez

fez

Caporegime
Oh god, GME going back up :rolleyes:

I still have no idea who is manipulating it and why. It certainly isn't WSBs anymore.

The Massive swings in value aren't retail traders getting in and out because the patterns make no sense. For days the price will mill around only changing 20-30$ and then suddenly it will drop $70 and sit there for a while before shooting up again.

Its just way too volatile to play with.

Associate
I still have no idea who is manipulating it and why. It certainly isn't WSBs anymore.

The Massive swings in value aren't retail traders getting in and out because the patterns make no sense. For days the price will mill around only changing 20-30$ and then suddenly it will drop $70 and sit there for a while before shooting up again.

Its just way too volatile to play with.

Yeah, fully agree. It's not WSB any more and the risk is just too great now - it's genuine gambling, there's no way to read it.

Back
Top Bottom