Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
For me I tend to use gels if 2hrs plus and maybe would have one every 45-1hr. Water I find is more in the summer I want it. Biking I use to use the High5 zero stuff so might pick up the stuff Chri5 linked, even if only to have a glass before heading out as it did feel like it helped matters on the bike. Summer time I can add some to the hydro pack.

Associate
I'm still nowhere near those numbers but think I might invest into some electrolyte powder to start with, seems cheap enough from usual supplement sites.
Yeah, you only really need to think about it if you're out for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about nutrition/hydration during a run for now, you'll just end up upsetting your stomach for no reason. More important is your diet and hydration in general.

If you find you are struggling the hours/days after a run I find SiS REGO is great for speeding up recovery. Ideally you want to get some food in you within 30 mins after a run but that's not always possible so REGO is an easy option.

Soldato
Yeah, you only really need to think about it if you're out for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about nutrition/hydration during a run for now, you'll just end up upsetting your stomach for no reason. More important is your diet and hydration in general.

If you find you are struggling the hours/days after a run I find SiS REGO is great for speeding up recovery. Ideally you want to get some food in you within 30 mins after a run but that's not always possible so REGO is an easy option.

Yeah still not running long enough to worry about it, do sweat a LOT so was just thinking of getting the electrolyte powder for post run recovery now that weather is picking up again.

Associate
I must be doing this wrong, my post run recovery drinks a beer :p

My post 1/2 race ritual use to be going out for a meal with the family and a beer. And every time, no matter how much water I drank post race, the first sip of beer was instant headache! Which made me sad. Though hot wings, steak and waffles and ice cream did sooth the pain some what!

Associate
My post 1/2 race ritual use to be going out for a meal with the family and a beer. And every time, no matter how much water I drank post race, the first sip of beer was instant headache! Which made me sad. Though hot wings, steak and waffles and ice cream did sooth the pain some what!

Its my ritual after any race/run :) Will do another 5k today which marks the 3rd week of me getting back into running, so may have a couple to celebrate :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Recovery drinks are cheating :) Seriously though if you are training 5/6 days a week they are brilliant, even after a tough workout its worthwhile necking one down before you shower. Even if you are trying to lose weight from running it will only benefit you.

Now can anyone donate a fully working left knee ?

Associate
Had some of that bulk electrolyte stuff recommending earlier after this mornings run. It’s an odd taste compared to high5 tabs. It’s salty but sweet when in orange squash. I go from liking it to not and back again each sip!

Soldato
Aren't those recovery drinks like SiS Rego basically just a mix of maltodextrin, some kind of protein and electrolytes thrown in?

I'm cheap so just thinking I can get my own maltodextrin which generally costs peanuts :D

Associate
Yeah, I think that's basically all that's in it, plus some vitamins and minerals. I personally think it's worth paying a bit more for something that tastes half decent so you will actually drink it. Cheaper stuff always tastes awful to me so I never use it so it's a bit of a false economy.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Bit more in a recovery drink, energy mix though cheap maltodextrin and some lemon juice, bit of salt job done.

Soldato
Well my easy mileage runs finished, wasn't pushing pace at all as it was donation week.

With travel restrictions lifting, I am back to gallivanting around Lake District few times a month from next week too. Guessing that's going to take it out of the legs somewhat so will see how runs are affected.

Soldato
Are we allowed to travel to then exercise from tomorrow? I know we can exercise in groups of 6 again, wasn't sure about the travel bit?

Well looking at the roadmap on the GOV site now, the "Stay At Home" order ends on 29th March and simply says that you should minimise journeys where possible.

People should continue to minimise travel wherever possible, and should not be staying away from home overnight at this stage.

That seems to indicate that national travel restrictions are lifting, with international ones still in place.

Overnight stays aren't possible until 12th April when "Step 2" phase kicks in so as far I understand, day trips are ok from tomorrow?

Most media outlets also seem to be reporting it as national travel restrictons being lifted.

Soldato
FFS. Woke up yesterday with my right Achilles in bits. To the point walking around is painful.

However I have zero idea why. I did nothing Thursday/Friday.

2021 can sod off.

Had one last Virtual run for March with the running club. Went for 4 miles last night, ended up hobbling around mostly and today it's much worse. That was a bad, bad idea!

I'm still at a loss as to what's caused it.

Back
Top Bottom