Does anyone own a Bosch Rotak 32r mower

Soldato
I am looking to replace my Flymo electric mower - I have hated it since the day I bought it.

Looking up what had the best reviews the Rotak 32 had a good report - Then looking at sites that sell them and looking at purchasers review they slagged it off as flimsy and kept clogging up.

So just looking for a bit of feed back from owners.

Thanks

Associate

Been fine, it does bog in tall grass (talking 3 inch+) but taken slow even that’s ok, the springs that hold the wheels that set the 3 different levels are a bit strong but once its set I don’t often need to alter it, the only down side I can see is the handle can be folded down if needed and on mine after all these years the plastic coating has started to split on the ends at the hinge but then it is 5+ years old.

Soldato
I've had a Rotak 34 for around 5 years now, not sure which model as there are different variants and had no issues. It's used twice a week in summer and I've replaced the blade once, not out of necessity but purely to maintain a clean cut. :)

Associate
Been fine, it does bog in tall grass (talking 3 inch+) but taken slow even that’s ok, the springs that hold the wheels that set the 3 different levels are a bit strong but once its set I don’t often need to alter it, the only down side I can see is the handle can be folded down if needed and on mine after all these years the plastic coating has started to split on the ends at the hinge but then it is 5+ years old
Had mine for about 4/5 years and would agree with all of this.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies - the problems you have mentioned are the same as online but I think the online ones were more operator error or similar.
My Flymo digs in at the front making it impossible to push unless you press down on handle and it doesn't get to the edge of the lawn - also it's heavy and on last use it kept cutting out -Not sure if it was getting hot or not.
When I wiggled the plug it started then stopped - took it all apart but nothing was lose.
Might just order a new one soon.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Ordered - delivered tomorrow at some ungodly hour of between 7.00am - 1.00pm

My Flymo is 36cm so this will be a bit smaller and more managable -Hopefully.

Thanks again for the replies- Did do a bit more checking and you all convinced me.

Soldato
I’ve got a decade old Rotak 34 and it works fine for what it is : an electric mower for cutting shortish grass on reasonably level, reasonably small lawns.

It’ll cut longer grass, providing it's dry, but you’ll be cutting the same grass for several passes before it cuts it neatly and you’ll be emptying the grass collector very regularly.

The only faults I experienced were the mains cable being very stiff when cold and not very long.

There’s a sacrificial plastic washer that connects the motor shaft to the cutting blade and these shear when you run the blades into something solid. Great idea to save the motor, but a packet of these when you buy the mower.

Soldato
My Cordless Bosch mower is one the best things i bought :)

It takes me about the same amount of time to get the mower out and finish cutting my lawns and put the mower back as it did to just start the stupid petrol mower i used to have
And no more need to take smelly petrol cans in my car..

7 years ago already :eek::eek::eek::eek:
K5UyTJS.png

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
If you're buying a Rotak now, make sure you get the ones with the black cowling ie the universal (b&q) or advanced.

It's worth the extra money. The fully green ones are no better than other budget mowers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Adva...d&qid=1616713410&sprefix=Bosch+rotak+a&sr=8-4

https://www.diy.com/departments/bos...-corded-rotary-lawnmower/4059952526768_BQ.prd

What the difference in these?

Me, my mum, her dad we all bought the Rotaks and have had no bother wtihh them at all.
We even ended up buying aqider one for up the caravan and that hs coped well even with tall grass, just need to be slow and steady slowy dropping the height

Soldato
What the difference in these?

Me, my mum, her dad we all bought the Rotaks and have had no bother wtihh them at all.
We even ended up buying aqider one for up the caravan and that hs coped well even with tall grass, just need to be slow and steady slowy dropping the height

Depends if you want to buy in store from b&q or order from amazon.

I recall when I bought mine (b&q universal) I looked into it and couldn't find a discernable difference bar the universal variant is essentially b&q's branded version.

Soldato
OP
Put it together yesterday and it's about half the size of my Flymo 360 - feels so light - That was trouble with the Flymo - Just to heavy for Me.
As said it is a bit flimsey but I don't bash them around

My lawns are not very big but I do have three so I am sure this is going to be fine .

Will have to cut the cord off and put a couple of those two pin plugs on it - I can then use the longer lead from Flymo and other things will plug on it as well -scarifier -hedge trimmer.

Soldato
As far as I can tell there are very few decent electrical mowers. Couple of years ago I went for the Makita ELM4110X. It's been great, 1600W, steel base, 41cm, very solid.

Soldato
I think its a 36cm we have, and while it's good the whole thing of cutting to the edge is a bit gimmicky imo. Also I want mine to break so I can buy a cordless one:p.

Back
Top Bottom