The Mondeo is no more

Soldato
I thought this had happened ages ago and Googled it, and there was some promising developments of a hybrid etc etc. Seems they canned it entirely in a final flip flop! To be fair, it had its place back in the day, but it was never going to compete against second hand German cars or people waking up to leasing posh motors for peanuts a month.

The Jag XJ was canned as well which I felt was a bit quiet. That was 99.9% of the way there for launch, too...

Soldato
Do Ford still using the Ghia branding or was it changed to titanium?
Think it was binned on the Fiesta mk6.5 (or possibly even the mk6). It became Titanium/ X. I remember the Mk6 Fiesta Ghia having velour style seats and cream interior :eek:

Some Ghia facts for you.

The name came from Carrozzeria Ghia, an Italian coachbuilder established by Giacinto Ghia in Turin in 1916, whose best-known product was the Volkswagen Karmann Ghia of 1955. Ford bought Ghia in 1970.

The design studio contributed to the designs of Ford production cars and conceps, and its name was used for a succession of luxury versions of family Fords, beginning with the Granada 3000 Ghia in 1974.

Soldato
Sad to hear it’s the end of the Mondeo they have always been good reliable cars offering excellent value for money. The average Mondeo family man was replaced years ago by 320d/Audi A4 S Line man who wants to look like he’s made it in life with his premium German badge.
I still get the occasional comment on what a good looking car my ST220 is despite the fact it’s 17yrs old.
The new Mondeo crossover replacing it is hideous just another generic bloated crossover to blend in with the boring crowd.
I’m sick of seeing crossovers and 4x4’s with fake twin exhausts and 20 inch rims always in white or black everywhere I look.

Soldato
Sad to hear it’s the end of the Mondeo they have always been good reliable cars offering excellent value for money. The average Mondeo family man was replaced years ago by 320d/Audi A4 S Line man who wants to look like he’s made it in life with his premium German badge.
I still get the occasional comment on what a good looking car my ST220 is despite the fact it’s 17yrs old.
The new Mondeo crossover replacing it is hideous just another generic bloated crossover to blend in with the boring crowd.
I’m sick of seeing crossovers and 4x4’s with fake twin exhausts and 20 inch rims always in white or black everywhere I look.
I think it's more due to the fact that a Mondeo has peanuts in terms of resale versus the equivalent Merc, BMW or even Jaguar. The fact you can get a nicer car "for cheaper" over a 3 year period killed them from a leasing perspective.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What a shame. We've have 4 Mondeos (still have 2). Altough I'm not really keen on the MKV. MK4.5 was the best of the range. Not quite up to Scorpio standards but lovely cars none the less.

Soldato
not sure why the mach-e couldn't become it's ev successor in terms of size and quasi-saloon profile, are they really going to abandon machs platform,

just need a bit of cost cutting with economies of scale, saying that in it's base spec in the usa it is the cheapest in it's segment (earlier discussion in going electric thread)

Soldato
I brought a new Mk1 in 1993. It was a 2.0l petrol Ghia hatchback and the colour was Cayman Blue. A few months into ownership it was stolen by using a 50p screwdriver. All the wheels were removed and windows smashed, it was never the same.

Caporegime
He did but it wasn't recently, it was 2006 and he was pointing out there were more Aston DB9 than Mondeo ST220 on the road.
Which is remarkable when you consider what an all round great car the ST220 was.

The current Mondeo is a superb piece of kit, how on earth the market prefers crossovers is beyond me, alas they’ll only follow the market.

Soldato
The current Mondeo is a superb piece of kit

Well

It's a decent enough car, but it wasn't a game changer. It began life as the Ford Fusion in the USA a few years before being released in the UK, so it was outdated as soon as it was released here really. It lost the previous generations' charm of great handling and ride, and great equipment levels and styling compared to the direct competition. It's tough enough to tempt the average buyer away from an SUV and/or something German even when your product is totes amazeballs.

IMO the mk4 was the high point (but then I guess I would say that)

Soldato
was the best looking one, looking back, the mk2, before crash rules, and edge strategy ? so st200 over st220 too.
remember when sales folks were playing trump cards on their mk2 company car spec, which really took over from vauxhall sri one-upmanship (managers with carlton/24's)

- the mkv bonnet is not subtle

Soldato
Had a few over the years. In fact still got 2 at the moment

the mk5 is a pile of steaming dog turds in comparison to the mk4.5 in terms of build quality and reliability.

If I could find a nice 4.5 estate with the 240 bhp eco boost lump for sensible money Id have it.

Soldato
Sad times. I always wanted an ST220. Bought a mk4 estate in 2013 and it’s not put a foot wrong despite plenty of abuse and multiple trips to the south of France. I’m just about to get the wheels refurbed to give it a new lease of life. Sort of wish I’d bought the 3.2l version for how much I use it!

Not sure what the situation is now but nothing could really compete with the mk4 for boot space. We looked at 5 Series/Octavias but they were a bit smaller.

PCP / lease certainly harmed the mondeo
I remember 10 years ago roughly when our vehicle department reported to me I was shocked to find that we were not only paying more to lease Mondeos than my 5 series but that the employees who had them were paying more tax as well as the BIK rate was higher by a factor more than the cost of the vehicle base price

And with private purchasers those who actually go and buy cars get to select the ones purchased obviously. If those putting their money where their mouth is want an SUV with 20 inch wheels then a manufacturer will make one and sell it to them
I always laugh at the people buying second hand cars complaining about the original purchaser who didn't spec x y or z option.
If your buying sloppy seconds you get the choices you get, either suck it up or put your money where your mouth is and buy new.

Soldato
It occurs to me that I can't actually remember the last time I even saw a Mondeo on the road. They were never particularly eye catching, granted, but they always used to be a common sight.
*salutes* :(

Caporegime
Well

It's a decent enough car, but it wasn't a game changer. It began life as the Ford Fusion in the USA a few years before being released in the UK, so it was outdated as soon as it was released here really. It lost the previous generations' charm of great handling and ride, and great equipment levels and styling compared to the direct competition. It's tough enough to tempt the average buyer away from an SUV and/or something German even when your product is totes amazeballs.

IMO the mk4 was the high point (but then I guess I would say that)
To be fair, the one I drove recently was practically brand new and I only covered a few hundred miles but was impressed I have to say. longer term maybe less so, but yes, it was no rival to an equivalent BMW IMO and that’s the crux of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom