*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
As someone who bought into Elite Dangerous back in Premium Beta I dont have to worry about paying for Odyssey but im not sure I like the look of it.

For the last however many years its a game i go through phases with.

Played tons in Beta but put if down very quickly on release (before wings came out) as just felt id done what I wanted.
Picked it up very briefly when horizons came out but couldnt get into it.
Tried it again when i got my Rift S and loved it but quickly moved away.
Picked it up again when Covid first came around and hammered it unlocking all engineers in the bubble and all the guardian tech i wanted but hit the wall at ranger in exploration and dangerous in combat and drifted away again.
After watching odyssey trailers started playing again in smaller doses unlocked my corvette from burning stations (was half way there doing mail jobs before it come on) and slowly grinding out engineering mats and cash to build my corvette up.
The thing I've learnt you've got to set your own goals and try not to make them too far, I could do combat elite but it would suck all the fun out of the game and be night after night and compromised nav beacons or what ever, it will come slowly but surely it will come.

One of the things i am most interested in is VR switching in Odyssey, I use VR when im doing combat missions or sometimes mining but for other things i want to be able to have TV on or other stuff so VR locks me in to much, being able to switch on the fly i really like the sound of.

Also maybe someone on my friends list will actually start playing again, my list doesn't have a player who has fired up the game within the last 3 years, Space can be very lonely, and that could be an issue in Odyssey looking at the gameplay they have shown.

House if you want an invite to our discord mate shout up. We aren't prolific ED gamers but there's usually 4 or 4 of us doing something in ED most nights and weekends. Most of us are 40+, not sure how old you are though, we might be too ancient for you.

Soldato
House if you want an invite to our discord mate shout up. We aren't prolific ED gamers but there's usually 4 or 4 of us doing something in ED most nights and weekends. Most of us are 40+, not sure how old you are though, we might be too ancient for you.

Firmly in the 40+ bracket, work is kinda killing me right now but sure fire me a invite on trust and I'll jump on sometime.
Hopefully I Can clear my workload before the Alpha comes out or at least the long weekend for Easter.

Soldato
Honestly I can't believe this is news. Offensive bloke who spends all day slagging off a game making truly offensive jokes.about stuff which may get me banned for just mentioning here throws toys out of pram for getting told no when begging for free game.?

He should buy it like the rest of us... Same goes for any influencer who expects to be considered to have an ounce of impartiality when it comes to talking about the game.

PS @frontier... Please can I have a free key too ? ;)

(PPS I don't really need one as I have it already , paid for with my money)

Soldato
Station Tour Vid

Looks pretty cool, not sure i want to have to walk around every time I grab a mission or sell some stuff.

Looks like a carbon copy of the Star Citizen stuff to me, I am out of date on what that is like so could be completely wrong and it certainly doesn't look as good, character models are very odd looking. It was stated some time ago that you wont need to leave your ship to access anything that you currently can, unless of course they've changed that since.

Soldato
I haven't fired up star citizen in over 2 years, long ago I said I wasn't going to do what I did with elite and burn myself before the game came out, I had nothing to aim at when the game came out so drifted away way too fast.

Maybe I will try SC again but it made my PC sweaty last time I fired it up and was super janky.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Looks like a carbon copy of the Star Citizen stuff to me, I am out of date on what that is like so could be completely wrong and it certainly doesn't look as good, character models are very odd looking. It was stated some time ago that you wont need to leave your ship to access anything that you currently can, unless of course they've changed that since.

That's the art style for the characters, i certainly hope they do not force you for whatever reason to get out of your ship.

Associate
That's the art style for the characters, i certainly hope they do not force you for whatever reason to get out of your ship.

They've confirmed everything you can currently do in ship can still be done that way. The missions you get from face to face mission givers are additional to that, and I think equipment for suits and personal guns etc will have to be bought in person so you'll need to get out of the ship for these.

Gamesradar had another video with a short additional section showing someone booking travel on a ship - it doesn't really add too much new but here it is:

Soldato
Why do I get the feeling I am going to be utterly utterly disappointed. This is not Elite.

Yep, feel that way too.
From what I have seen it just seems as though they have thrown together space legs because they think that is what we want, when in truth we just wanted more purpose within the current framework of the game. Elite should not become No Mans Sky.

Soldato
Yep, feel that way too.
From what I have seen it just seems as though they have thrown together space legs because they think that is what we want, when in truth we just wanted more purpose within the current framework of the game. Elite should not become No Mans Sky.
Why not?

Whats wrong with space legs? Just flying around gets boring fast.

Soldato
Why do I get the feeling I am going to be utterly utterly disappointed. This is not Elite.
Why not?

It gets boring because none of the mechanics have seen anything like the detail and attention they need, great potential utterly wasted and resources spent in entirely the wrong direction in my opinion, sadly I suspect that income rather than staying true to the original ethos has become the number one factor in further development for elite so they are trying to grab a slice of the fps market. I'm completely unenthused about what elite has become these days and the more I see of what is coming the less I feel it appeals to me, they keep saying there will be exploration and other stuff to do but so far everything shown has been combat based and judging by FD's previous example we all know where that is going to lead...

Soldato
Why not?

On one hand I don't mind having FPS stuff in On the other hand imo there is so so much missing from the game which was in the plan which is based in space.

For me just flying around doesn't get boring, if the stuff we are doing is continually fleshed out. Elite had always been a flying around game and whilst things evolve I would rather it not be at the expense of neglecting the core game just to appeal to a whole new group of players.

Jack of all trades is my fear.

Let's not forget the bar for fpsers is pretty damn high.

Soldato
Let's not forget the bar for fpsers is pretty damn high.

And that right there is the problem, chances of it being at all decent compared to the plethora of fps games already available are slim and in the meantime the core game which has already been stale for a couple of years gets little to no updates.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Does it matter when all the planets look the same though, but then I was part of the planetary landings were a waste of time as the core game still needed significant work to make it work, they still have not addressed this either.

The free Frontier 2 is still the better game, I play that more than Elite Dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom