*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I think if you run windows update it should install, or you can do it manually from that link. Mine actually got updated automatically already by the move to 21H1 windows beta channel.

Last edited:
Associate
Will this apply during a windows update? Or do I need grab these updates manually?

here's the instructions once you download and extract the drivers, they won't be updated from windows store

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download the driver package.
2. Once the driver package has been downloaded, extract its contents to a location on your PC.
3. Connect your HMD to your PC. Close the Mixed Reality Portal that automatically opens.
4. Open Device Manager. You can do this by clicking on Start, and typing "Device Manager" into the Search box.
5. In Device manager, expand the "Mixed Reality Devices" section.
6. Right click on your HMD, and click "Update driver"
7. In the "Update Drivers" new dialog box that appears, click "Browse my computer for driver software"
8. Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
9. Click "Have Disk..."
10. In the new "Install From Disk" dialog box that appears, click "Browse..."
11. In the new "Locate File" dialog box that appears, navigate to the location where your driver package was extracted to, and double click on HololensSensors (HololensSensors.inf).
12. The "Locate File" dialog box should disappear and take you back to the "Install From Disk" dialog box. Click "OK".
13. The "Install From Disk" dialog box should disappear and take you to the "Update Drivers" dialog box. Click Next.
14. You sh

Soldato
Thankfully it still works after the update, it didn't brick the thing. Can't recall the last time i had to manually update a driver in devices, A:/ was still a thing i think.

Visual improvements and updates, if they say so i guess... any idea on what, my pinball table looked the same to me.

Soldato
Is there still an issue with G2s and AMD motherboards?

Broadly yeah, AGESA 1.2.0.2 supposedly the fix and should be rolling out in BIOS updates in a couple of weeks.

Thankfully it still works after the update, it didn't brick the thing. Can't recall the last time i had to manually update a driver in devices, A:/ was still a thing i think.

Visual improvements and updates, if they say so i guess... any idea on what, my pinball table looked the same to me.

I didn’t have to manually update, it was done automatically with the installation of 21H1... did it not come up if you ran windows update with the G2 attached?

As for visuals... I think if I was looking for something I’d say chromatic aberration outside of the sweetspot is improved, hard to say for sure without being able to flip back and forth.

Associate
Hi, Quest 2 owner here. I've just received my Reverb G2 and to be honest I'm struggling a little with the sweet spot issue.

The sharpness of the actual sweet spot in the middle is superb and much better than my Quest2 however it's almost much smaller. When I'm in FS2020 it isnt as noticable but in menus and viewing text it's actually pretty bad. The Quest 2 is certainly better, I dont know whether it shows itself more however as the Quest 2 has a fuzzier image overall, but it's really distrating at the moment.

I've checked my IPD at 60mm and the slider is set to this. I've got both the standard Facial interface and the VRcover both dont help. Would getting the 3D printed interface help matters at all ?

After dealing with the USB connectivity issues with my Motherboard and this, I'm not sure whether I'm going to return it at the moment. It's superb in that ~25% sweet spot but elsewhere it's pretty awful. Is this par for the course and expected for the G2 ?

Associate
My prescription lens inserts are here :)
I'm new to this thread and I don't have a G2, so forgive me for asking; where did you get your prescription lenses from? How would you rate them? I've needed such lenses from the start with my Vive and Index, and I'm always on the lookout for better replacements.

Soldato
Hi, Quest 2 owner here. I've just received my Reverb G2 and to be honest I'm struggling a little with the sweet spot issue.

The sharpness of the actual sweet spot in the middle is superb and much better than my Quest2 however it's almost much smaller. When I'm in FS2020 it isnt as noticable but in menus and viewing text it's actually pretty bad. The Quest 2 is certainly better, I dont know whether it shows itself more however as the Quest 2 has a fuzzier image overall, but it's really distrating at the moment.

I've checked my IPD at 60mm and the slider is set to this. I've got both the standard Facial interface and the VRcover both dont help. Would getting the 3D printed interface help matters at all ?

After dealing with the USB connectivity issues with my Motherboard and this, I'm not sure whether I'm going to return it at the moment. It's superb in that ~25% sweet spot but elsewhere it's pretty awful. Is this par for the course and expected for the G2 ?

That was my first impression too - about the small sweetspot.

For me it's my first VR headset though, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I still noticed it and it bothered me on first use. I've only had it a few days and am still testing it out but I'm already learning to live with it as the whole thing/ experience is just so good.

However, if I did have another headset to compare to like you do, and that one had a much bigger sweetspot, that might sway my decision. Although, compared to the Quest 2, apart from higher res and clarity I believe the G2 also has much better black levels, contrast and colour accuracy from reviews I've seen. All these things are equally important to me, so it gets confusing. There is no perfect headset yet is there.

Associate
I'm new to this thread and I don't have a G2, so forgive me for asking; where did you get your prescription lenses from? How would you rate them? I've needed such lenses from the start with my Vive and Index, and I'm always on the lookout for better replacements.
Can't speak for DD_Crash, but I got mine from VR optician. They are in Germany, and took a few weeks to get to me. They have to wait for lenses to be made etc. But worth it! They cost me £65, with no extra charges buying from EU.
I gave some impressions on the thread if you scroll back.

Associate

I got some from VROptician for my quest which luckily also fit in the quest 2. They're very good and came well protected in individual soft bags in a specs case. Also came with lens cleaning tissues to use before fitting and a normal lens cleaning cloth. I normally wear varifocals so for me they were essential. I get to see normal blur at the edges now like everyone rather than progressively much blurrier blur as the prescription on my specs changes towards the bottom.

They do add some thickness though, it was fine on the quest but needed the glasses spacer on in the quest 2 to stop my hairy eye bits brushing the lens.

Associate
That was my first impression too - about the small sweetspot.

For me it's my first VR headset though, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I still noticed it and it bothered me on first use. I've only had it a few days and am still testing it out but I'm already learning to live with it as the whole thing/ experience is just so good.

However, if I did have another headset to compare to like you do, and that one had a much bigger sweetspot, that might sway my decision. Although, compared to the Quest 2, apart from higher res and clarity I believe the G2 also has much better black levels, contrast and colour accuracy from reviews I've seen. All these things are equally important to me, so it gets confusing. There is no perfect headset yet is there.

Its quite different to the Quest 2, the Quest has better uniformity of image across the whole FOV but is more blurry as a whole if you can call it blurry. The sweet spot isn't noticable at all really at least for me.

The G2 has an immediately noticable sweet spot, possibly because it's just so clear and sharp at that centre point giving it a real contrast with the periphery part. I will say though that the part that is not in the sweet spot is definately more blurry than the Quest.

The colours are indeed better, it seems like the quest 2 is just a bit toned down/flat in comparison. Again no deal breaker though the Quest is still good.

Oculus software and drivers are WAY more polished I will say. WMR is a bit of a mess in my experience, probably due to me having to deal with X570 incompatibility in part. It just felt clunky in comparison. The Oculus just plugged in and worked.

I had a bit of a play on FS2020 with the G2 last night after finally dialing in my settings in game and with the OpenXR Dev tools and getting the best drivers installed etc etc and it really did look great. Very smooth and clear, I could actually see each house below me and their individual windows, trees also looked really great.

I've got my Dad printing the Jewcookie facial interface for me so I'm going to give that a go first before I make any decisions.

Back
Top Bottom