*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
Same here. 3600x and 2070s with 32gb 3200mhz ram rums the quest 2 nicely for dcs. the quest 2 was intended to be a stop gap till the g2 became more available, but after seeing the bang for buck this headset offers iam thinking of maybe keeping till the next geN vr headsets are out. 2.7 apparently addresses some of the vr issues dcs has as well but like Mr Sukubee said 32gb for dcs is a must have now imo.

Soldato
Badly want the Hind and a new GPU to play on, suspect trying to play it on my 980Ti is just going to be frustrating, might just download and try the base sim since I upgraded from my 2500k to the 5800x and 32gb ram to see how much that helps.

Associate
Badly want the Hind and a new GPU to play on, suspect trying to play it on my 980Ti is just going to be frustrating, might just download and try the base sim since I upgraded from my 2500k to the 5800x and 32gb ram to see how much that helps.
Yeah the Hind is gonna be dope. Well when i was on a flat screen going from 16gb of GSkill 8pack 1866 with very tight timings to 32gb 3200mhz in its native xmp 1 setting gave about a 20fps increase in multiplayer, Said it before 32gb is standard for dcs now imo.

Soldato
Yeah the Hind is gonna be dope. Well when i was on a flat screen going from 16gb of GSkill 8pack 1866 with very tight timings to 32gb 3200mhz in its native xmp 1 setting gave about a 20fps increase in multiplayer, Said it before 32gb is standard for dcs now imo.

Well it certainly runs a whole lot better for sure, not great at low level sadly so think I will have to wait for gpu availability to pick up I reckon :)

Soldato
Really disappointed with how clouds look in VR plus the jitter known issue. Back to IL2 I guess will check for improvements in a few months. The warbird propeller rework is sweet though.

Associate
I think they’ve done a great job on the clouds, real nice. Hopefully VR optimisation will come, it’s a big update so some issues are to be expected but ED are getting better I think.

Associate
Agreed. Overall performance is nice but the clouds in VR look really low quality no matter what setting you have them on, but they do look awesome on a flat screen though. They are getting better Skiprat as at least they are prepared to listen to the community now :)

Soldato
On a flat screen the new update is little short of mind-blowing. The last time a DCS update was this good was when they transitioned to a new rendering engine a few years ago. Just look at it :) Next to no fps drop as well (8700K, 1080ti, 4k).
Screen-210415-220639.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
On day 1 of using 2.7, the clouds were a really weird jittery mess in VR.
By yesterday (day 4), they were looking utterly stunning. I can only assume that DCS is doing some kind of calculations in the background on how the clouds should look.
The fact that 2.7 has also significantly improved the lighting is just icing on the cake.

Seriously, this has been an awesome update. Lovin' it. Just don't assume that it will instantly look amazing out of the box.

Soldato
Anyone tried forcing resizable BAR on?

I’ve seen in VR people are getting ~9% FPS gains apparently.

I’ve had time to force it on but no time to actually test it out!

Also managed to get CAS and filters running with reshade in VR, it gives a nice little boost in sharpness and contrast. Well worth a try for the VR users out there.

Soldato
I still cant get past mission 4 or 5 to do with the SU27 shooting down f16s. No matter what i do i get shot down. I tried that notching thing, didnt work either. In the end i gave up and resigned the game to the shelf. I really tried.
Which campaign? Russian jets vs NATO is always "hard mode" in DCS. (And in real life for the modelled time period, where NATO had fire and forget missiles and Russian missiles required constant lock for guidance. MiG-29C was the only exception.) I'd recommend "F-15C Georgian War" DLC campaign for its voice overs, fun missions and difficulty curve.

PS One can still win in the Russian jets, it just requires better tactics and skill. FOr example, DCS AI is not omniscient, you could sneak up to the F-16s from behind using Russian EOS optical targeting that does not trigger radar warnings.
Another approach would be to use the Su-27 massive fuel quantity advantage. Approach head on, bait the F-16 into launching their missiles, at 30 km separation turn 180 and run for a while to trash their missiles. Low alt with its dense air is best for this. Repeat 3 times and they will run out of missiles and be low on fuel. Engage them at your leisure. (This works even better against the slow F/A-18 as it can never catch up with the Su-27. F-16 is approximately equal speed wise.)
Also Russian missiles are faster than the amraams, and taking on a single f-16 is pretty easy, just by cranking/notching while keeping the lock and spamming the missiles (of which the Su27 has plenty). The F-16 will be too busy dodging. In close combat early F-16s are inferior to the Russian birds as the latter have off bore infrared missiles (R-73), so use them.
But the short answer to your problem is the "F-15C Georgian War" campaign :)

Last edited:
Associate
Which campaign? Russian jets vs NATO is always "hard mode" in DCS. (And in real life for the modelled time period, where NATO had fire and forget missiles and Russian missiles required constant lock for guidance. MiG-29C was the only exception.) I'd recommend "F-15C Georgian War" DLC campaign for its voice overs, fun missions and difficulty curve.

PS One can still win in the Russian jets, it just requires better tactics and skill. FOr example, DCS AI is not omniscient, you could sneak up to the F-16s from behind using Russian EOS optical targeting that does not trigger radar warnings.
Another approach would be to use the Su-27 massive fuel quantity advantage. Approach head on, bait the F-16 into launching their missiles, at 30 km separation turn 180 and run for a while to trash their missiles. Low alt with its dense air is best for this. Repeat 3 times and they will run out of missiles and be low on fuel. Engage them at your leisure. (This works even better against the slow F/A-18 as it can never catch up with the Su-27. F-16 is approximately equal speed wise.)
Also Russian missiles are faster than the amraams, and taking on a single f-16 is pretty easy, just by cranking/notching while keeping the lock and spamming the missiles (of which the Su27 has plenty). The F-16 will be too busy dodging. In close combat early F-16s are inferior to the Russian birds as the latter have off bore infrared missiles (R-73), so use them.
But the short answer to your problem is the "F-15C Georgian War" campaign :)
That’s great advice, I just love the Su27, I do have the f15 and Georgian war too.

Any advice can you give on notching please?

Soldato
That’s great advice, I just love the Su27, I do have the f15 and Georgian war too.

Any advice can you give on notching please?

Growling Sidewider does good videos where he does a lot of notching, the second half of the videos he shows the tactical view and explains whats hes going.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom